Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco have not been prove to kill because not enough people have died if any for anyone to care.
that and the fact that they dont add 100s of chemicals to the tobacco

-matt
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yea, recently i started using snus. Its pretty good because i dont need to spit or anything, and there have been plenty of tests on it that show that it is much safer than cigarettes and safer than normal dip because its steam cured instead of fire cured. And with that i cut down my hookah intake too, about 2-3 times a week. I think im at a good level with only 1 pouch per day, and possibly hookah depending on whos at my house and if i work or not.
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
I dunno about that. the reason cigarettes are seen as so bad is because they started killing people off and they found out why and it ended up being the poisons in cigarettes.

Cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco have not been prove to kill because not enough people have died if any for anyone to care.
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.

---

smoking is still smoking, no matter how ""SAFE"" it is. it is bad for your health, but not nearly as bad. so if i were you, (babaganoush123) i'd quit since you care so much about staying healthy. a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
you mean shisha is not part of your weekly menu/food $ allowance in your budget?
-matt
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I am a big fan of cigar icons and I am sorry but the 26 a day is bullshit. Even if he were smoking small cigars, which Freud was not known for, that would be around one an hour for all hours of the day. Or more than one and a half every waking hour assuming an 8 hour sleep schedule. Wikipedia is not a scholarly source by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.

---

smoking is still smoking, no matter how ""SAFE"" it is. it is bad for your health, but not nearly as bad. so if i were you, (babaganoush123) i'd quit since you care so much about staying healthy. a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:27 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

Quote:
this is true.

---

Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources of information out there... thats why it is not accepted as a research site in college/highschool etc. 26 cigars is alot... but none-the-less i see why you said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
you mean shisha is not part of your weekly menu/food $ allowance in your budget?
-matt
LMAO
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

well hookah hasn't gave me a problem yet.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I am a big fan of cigar icons and I am sorry but the 26 a day is bullshit. Even if he were smoking small cigars, which Freud was not known for, that would be around one an hour for all hours of the day. Or more than one and a half every waking hour assuming an 8 hour sleep schedule. Wikipedia is not a scholarly source by any stretch of the imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources of information out there... thats why it is not accepted as a research site in college/highschool etc. 26 cigars is alot... but none-the-less i see why you said it...

LMAO
i do remember hearing the 26 a day from other sources before but cannot remember. as to wikipedia being scholarly or not, there was a study released a little while back that compared the errors in Encyclopedia Britannica to wikipedia, and the results were something like 1.6 for EB to 3.2 in wikipedia but the wikipedia was skewed higher due to the conspiracy theories about ufos, JFK, etc.

and actually MLA now has a citation format for wikipedia specifically so it is starting to be accepted.

im not saying it is the end all be all but it has been proven to be very close in accuracy to "scholarly" sources and provide more info and more current info

http://www.onthecommons.org/content.php?id=743 here is a new article about it, different check on them but the same general results, 4 to 5 errors

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; March 26th, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
yeah i understand, it makes sense. but i didn't learn about the 26 cigars online, i learned it in psychology.

bottom line. smoking is bad. there is 0.0% "health" tar. cigarettes will kill you, hookah can't. it's impossible to get addicted to smoking shisha tobacco. nakhla double apple is really good.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
reality-
Banned

Quote:
this is true.

No No... Sigmund Freud did not die from overdosing on morphine man.. he died from cancer in mouth and jaw...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
reality-
Banned

Quote:
tar is only created when the tobacco burns.
if you smoke a hookah properly, you will have 0.0% tar.
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
it dries =]
not burns
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
SmokeRingSteve
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
I dunno about that. the reason cigarettes are seen as so bad is because they started killing people off and they found out why and it ended up being the poisons in cigarettes.

Plus, take into consideration that here in the states, hookah/shisha is a fairly new trend. I give it about ten years or so before somebody starts pitching a fit about it....Maybe even less with the Obama administration...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingSteve View Post
Plus, take into consideration that here in the states, hookah/shisha is a fairly new trend. I give it about ten years or so before somebody starts pitching a fit about it....Maybe even less with the Obama administration...
don't forget that the man is a smoker himself, currently trying to quit. I don't think he'll be nearly as harsh on hookah as some of these ultra "moral" politicians. I hope he at least is realistic about it...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
SmokeRingSteve
Hookah Newbie

orly?
i didn't know that about Obama. Although i can't blame him for smoking given his current position. XD

I was thinking along the lines of:

well... i don't really know.

It's 5:10 in the morning...

Seemed like a good thought at the time... XD
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

ha, no worries, i understand...its 630 here and instead of sleeping i made a scalli. why? dunno.

But yeah, apparently he quit smoking, but started again because the campaign was so stressful. Now he's got this guy who's job is to hang out with Obama and carry his niccorrette around, just in case
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:

its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

-matt
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
fr0ntline
Hookah Newbie

cigarettes have hundredes of chemical additives(many of which are cancerinogens)...shisha is mostly tobacco, molassas, and natural flavoring..sure smoke is bad for you..but so is fast food but we all still eat it from time to time
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
HookahCody
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer.

It also said that he endured 30+ surgeries due to having oral cancer.
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
cameron UK
Banned

i just go by what is on the box, not too sure to be honest
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

There is an old test that has been said can sho you the amount of tar in the smoke. Take a draw from your pipe and blow it through a tissue (not the ones that have the lotion in them). If there is a tan or brown stain on the tissue that is tar.

I know this works with cigarettes, I've tried it. Haven't done it with the shisha yet though so not sure what it would show.

Might not even be true. Just somethiing we were told about it High School science.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Quote:

you are right, it is black and hard when finished. it smolders, it does not burn. it doesn't turn to ash. refer to this quote for more a direct and technical answer.

Quote:
its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

-matt
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahCody View Post
It also said that he endured 30+ surgeries due to having oral cancer.
sigmund freud lived in the 1800's, and the 1900's. there was literally no cure for anything back then. schizophrenia was "cured" with a lobotomy back then.
(if you don't know what a lobotomy is, look it up in the dictionary.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
There is an old test that has been said can sho you the amount of tar in the smoke. Take a draw from your pipe and blow it through a tissue (not the ones that have the lotion in them). If there is a tan or brown stain on the tissue that is tar.

I know this works with cigarettes, I've tried it. Haven't done it with the shisha yet though so not sure what it would show.

Might not even be true. Just somethiing we were told about it High School science.
yep go ahead try it for yourself. take 2 napkins, take a puff of a cig, and blow through 1 napkin. take 200 puffs of hookah and blow through the other napkin. see which one is worse.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
reality-
Banned

Quote:

-matt
now this is the type of explanation I wanted.. Excellent I understand the difference now actually.. Thank you matt, as always you explain things good and theoretical
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
now this is the type of explanation I wanted.. Excellent I understand the difference now actually.. Thank you matt, as always you explain things good and theoretical
no problem,

an amusing anecdote i saw here but cannot remember who it was, their friend had taken the smoked shisha and packed it in his western pipe and smoked it, said it wasnt great but it smoked

-matt
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

you cannot compare freud to yourself.

its called body chemistry. same reason there are so many side effects for perscription drugs. no ones body chemistry is the same, and thus the effects are different.

smoking effects everyone differently, i wouldn't make generalizations about it personally
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook