Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco have not been prove to kill because not enough people have died if any for anyone to care.
that and the fact that they dont add 100s of chemicals to the tobacco

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Coldgr33ntea's Avatar
Coldgr33ntea
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,412
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Yea, recently i started using snus. Its pretty good because i dont need to spit or anything, and there have been plenty of tests on it that show that it is much safer than cigarettes and safer than normal dip because its steam cured instead of fire cured. And with that i cut down my hookah intake too, about 2-3 times a week. I think im at a good level with only 1 pouch per day, and possibly hookah depending on whos at my house and if i work or not.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
chadtizzle's Avatar
chadtizzle
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,163
Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I dunno about that. the reason cigarettes are seen as so bad is because they started killing people off and they found out why and it ended up being the poisons in cigarettes.

Cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco have not been prove to kill because not enough people have died if any for anyone to care.
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.

---

smoking is still smoking, no matter how ""SAFE"" it is. it is bad for your health, but not nearly as bad. so if i were you, (babaganoush123) i'd quit since you care so much about staying healthy. a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
you mean shisha is not part of your weekly menu/food $ allowance in your budget?
-matt
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

I am a big fan of cigar icons and I am sorry but the 26 a day is bullshit. Even if he were smoking small cigars, which Freud was not known for, that would be around one an hour for all hours of the day. Or more than one and a half every waking hour assuming an 8 hour sleep schedule. Wikipedia is not a scholarly source by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.

---

smoking is still smoking, no matter how ""SAFE"" it is. it is bad for your health, but not nearly as bad. so if i were you, (babaganoush123) i'd quit since you care so much about staying healthy. a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:27 AM
wonderland's Avatar
wonderland
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austintown, Ohio
Posts: 1,009
Send a message via AIM to wonderland
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.

---

smoking is still smoking, no matter how ""SAFE"" it is. it is bad for your health, but not nearly as bad. so if i were you, (babaganoush123) i'd quit since you care so much about staying healthy. a lot of people here would rather have their shiny khalil mammon and nakhla double apple then their food for a week.
Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources of information out there... thats why it is not accepted as a research site in college/highschool etc. 26 cigars is alot... but none-the-less i see why you said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
you mean shisha is not part of your weekly menu/food $ allowance in your budget?
-matt
LMAO
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM
babaganoush123
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 226
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

well hookah hasn't gave me a problem yet.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I am a big fan of cigar icons and I am sorry but the 26 a day is bullshit. Even if he were smoking small cigars, which Freud was not known for, that would be around one an hour for all hours of the day. Or more than one and a half every waking hour assuming an 8 hour sleep schedule. Wikipedia is not a scholarly source by any stretch of the imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources of information out there... thats why it is not accepted as a research site in college/highschool etc. 26 cigars is alot... but none-the-less i see why you said it...



LMAO
i do remember hearing the 26 a day from other sources before but cannot remember. as to wikipedia being scholarly or not, there was a study released a little while back that compared the errors in Encyclopedia Britannica to wikipedia, and the results were something like 1.6 for EB to 3.2 in wikipedia but the wikipedia was skewed higher due to the conspiracy theories about ufos, JFK, etc.

and actually MLA now has a citation format for wikipedia specifically so it is starting to be accepted.

im not saying it is the end all be all but it has been proven to be very close in accuracy to "scholarly" sources and provide more info and more current info

http://www.onthecommons.org/content.php?id=743 here is a new article about it, different check on them but the same general results, 4 to 5 errors

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; March 26th, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
chadtizzle's Avatar
chadtizzle
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,163
Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
Wikipedia is one of the most unreliable sources of information out there... thats why it is not accepted as a research site in college/highschool etc. 26 cigars is alot... but none-the-less i see why you said it...
yeah i understand, it makes sense. but i didn't learn about the 26 cigars online, i learned it in psychology.


bottom line. smoking is bad. there is 0.0% "health" tar. cigarettes will kill you, hookah can't. it's impossible to get addicted to smoking shisha tobacco. nakhla double apple is really good.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
this is true.

do you all know who sigmund freud is? if you don't, check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer. he died at 83 by overdosing on morphine.
No No... Sigmund Freud did not die from overdosing on morphine man.. he died from cancer in mouth and jaw...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
tar is only created when the tobacco burns.
if you smoke a hookah properly, you will have 0.0% tar.
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
FeliFeliWooo's Avatar
FeliFeliWooo
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 760
Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
it dries =]
not burns
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
SmokeRingSteve's Avatar
SmokeRingSteve
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Marcos - Tx
Posts: 96
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I dunno about that. the reason cigarettes are seen as so bad is because they started killing people off and they found out why and it ended up being the poisons in cigarettes.

Cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco have not been prove to kill because not enough people have died if any for anyone to care.
Plus, take into consideration that here in the states, hookah/shisha is a fairly new trend. I give it about ten years or so before somebody starts pitching a fit about it....Maybe even less with the Obama administration...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM
Buddhizzle's Avatar
Buddhizzle
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 889
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingSteve View Post
Plus, take into consideration that here in the states, hookah/shisha is a fairly new trend. I give it about ten years or so before somebody starts pitching a fit about it....Maybe even less with the Obama administration...
don't forget that the man is a smoker himself, currently trying to quit. I don't think he'll be nearly as harsh on hookah as some of these ultra "moral" politicians. I hope he at least is realistic about it...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
SmokeRingSteve's Avatar
SmokeRingSteve
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Marcos - Tx
Posts: 96
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

orly?
i didn't know that about Obama. Although i can't blame him for smoking given his current position. XD

I was thinking along the lines of:

well... i don't really know.

It's 5:10 in the morning...

Seemed like a good thought at the time... XD
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Buddhizzle's Avatar
Buddhizzle
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 889
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

ha, no worries, i understand...its 630 here and instead of sleeping i made a scalli. why? dunno.

But yeah, apparently he quit smoking, but started again because the campaign was so stressful. Now he's got this guy who's job is to hang out with Obama and carry his niccorrette around, just in case
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
fr0ntline's Avatar
fr0ntline
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 86
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

cigarettes have hundredes of chemical additives(many of which are cancerinogens)...shisha is mostly tobacco, molassas, and natural flavoring..sure smoke is bad for you..but so is fast food but we all still eat it from time to time
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
HookahCody
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 55
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post

he used to smoke 26+ CIGARS A DAY. for about 20 YEARS. all he had was minor oral cancer.

It also said that he endured 30+ surgeries due to having oral cancer.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
cameron UK
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

i just go by what is on the box, not too sure to be honest
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
paulk's Avatar
paulk
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 905
Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

There is an old test that has been said can sho you the amount of tar in the smoke. Take a draw from your pipe and blow it through a tissue (not the ones that have the lotion in them). If there is a tan or brown stain on the tissue that is tar.

I know this works with cigarettes, I've tried it. Haven't done it with the shisha yet though so not sure what it would show.

Might not even be true. Just somethiing we were told about it High School science.
__________________


At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
chadtizzle's Avatar
chadtizzle
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,163
Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
you are right, it is black and hard when finished. it smolders, it does not burn. it doesn't turn to ash. refer to this quote for more a direct and technical answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

-matt
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahCody View Post
It also said that he endured 30+ surgeries due to having oral cancer.
sigmund freud lived in the 1800's, and the 1900's. there was literally no cure for anything back then. schizophrenia was "cured" with a lobotomy back then.
(if you don't know what a lobotomy is, look it up in the dictionary.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
There is an old test that has been said can sho you the amount of tar in the smoke. Take a draw from your pipe and blow it through a tissue (not the ones that have the lotion in them). If there is a tan or brown stain on the tissue that is tar.

I know this works with cigarettes, I've tried it. Haven't done it with the shisha yet though so not sure what it would show.

Might not even be true. Just somethiing we were told about it High School science.
yep go ahead try it for yourself. take 2 napkins, take a puff of a cig, and blow through 1 napkin. take 200 puffs of hookah and blow through the other napkin. see which one is worse.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

-matt
now this is the type of explanation I wanted.. Excellent I understand the difference now actually.. Thank you matt, as always you explain things good and theoretical
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
now this is the type of explanation I wanted.. Excellent I understand the difference now actually.. Thank you matt, as always you explain things good and theoretical
no problem,

an amusing anecdote i saw here but cannot remember who it was, their friend had taken the smoked shisha and packed it in his western pipe and smoked it, said it wasnt great but it smoked

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the City of Angels
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

you cannot compare freud to yourself.

its called body chemistry. same reason there are so many side effects for perscription drugs. no ones body chemistry is the same, and thus the effects are different.

smoking effects everyone differently, i wouldn't make generalizations about it personally
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ugh...nicotine sickness Coldgr33ntea Hookah Discussion 10 March 14th, 2009 03:14 PM
Nicotine Free/Less HuMMuS Hookah Discussion 16 March 3rd, 2009 03:55 PM
nicotine compared to cigerrettes? denali7432 Hookah Discussion 14 January 24th, 2009 09:32 AM
.05 or .5% nicotine? Grundle Hookah Discussion 30 October 21st, 2008 01:27 PM
Nicotine as an addictive substance Hajo Flettner Hookah Discussion 3 August 20th, 2007 04:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.