Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

km ice chiller vs syrian chiller

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM
usmc70_14
Hookah Newbie

Default km ice chiller vs syrian chiller

hello everyone, i am cool customer to km, especially a pear and i am happy to as how they smoke. i am wanting to upgrade to a chiller, but i am torn between the standard km chiller to that of the syrian chiller. as you can see on the km pipe

http://www.**********.com/images/Kha...034%20inch.jpg

it does not have some type of relief valve for the ice that has melted, if you notice on the syrian it has a relief valve that you can drain the water when the ice has melted, in my opinion that will keep the ice in better shape then other one will...

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1713.

with everyones great wisdom what are your opinions on both of these systems, as right now i am steering towards the syrian based on that fact alone...

thanks and hope to be making a purchase soon.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: km ice chiller vs syrian chiller

I have the syrian chiller(been at a friends house for nearly 2 years lol) and have to say, i've never noticed a difference in smoke temp compared to a few ice cubes in the base of a non chiller. but, if I were to compare the two, the syrian has a tighter draw, especially with the stock hose. slap a razan on there and it will definitely be better.

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

I actually like the Syrian's look way more than the KM's.
+ the valve is a good addon and its cheaper.

I would go for the Syrian one.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

i have a km ice and it is awesome but if you get it make sure to seal the weld in the ice chamber and IMO it really helps cool the smoke. and don show me that syrian it makes me want it lol its a damn beautiful rig
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

I have both pipes. The KM is a standard and the syrian is a common chamber. Purge and pull are easier with the KM. They are both a bitch to clean. If it is looks you're after, go with the H-S syrian. Otherwise, I'd recommend the KM.

P.S. the ice chamber valve on my H-S syrian feels like it is welded closed. I've never used it
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Difference is in the pull, mainly.

Common chambers also suck - I bet it's also plated.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
P.S. the ice chamber valve on my H-S syrian feels like it is welded closed. I've never used it
Mine was on there pretty damn tight, had to use a pair of pliers to open it up, but then its worked fine.

I cannot comment on the KM ICE, but I do have the 3 hose version of the Syrian Chiller. In mine, it is not a common chamber, but its ported. Every hose port has its own tube leading to the vase. This should be the same for this one, as even the single hose Syrian Chiller, has 3 ports, so you can buy the adapters to convert it. This version will come with 2 release valves instead.

That being said, there are some things worth noting. Because this is built to be a multihose hookah, it will have autoseal bearing on all ports. And because of this, the hose adapters all have a built in metal screen so you don't suck up the BBs. You can remove the BBs, and this does help pull some, but you are still limited by the screen, which is nothing more than they drilled 3 small holes in solid brass, so the BB doesn't come through.

What I did, was buy an extra hose adapter, and I drilled the whole thing out, so I have an opening on my hose adapter as big as the port is. This has DRAMACITCALLY increased my flow rate, and is a mod I highly recommend. You just need a drill, a decent bit, and a bench clamp or something else to hold it still. Don't try holding on to it..

So my normal configuration on this, is my drilled out hose adapter, all BBs removed, and hose plugs in the other adapters. If I need to purge, a quick lift of the plug, and its all good. I may invest in release valves down the road, but they're just ornamental at this point. If I need to convert to multihose with autoseal, I can throw in the BBs, and put on the original hose adapter instead of my drilled out one and away we go.

The ice bucket DOES work, and it works very well. If you fill it up with ICE, it does do a great job of cooling down the smoke, with I'd say a minimal flavor loss. But I don't use it all the time. It does add to density as well. I usually fill up the bucket, if I'm going to be smoking when its hot out. Or if I feel the whim to.

The hookah cleans pretty easily, but you will need to use q-tips to clean out the ports. A small bristle brush that typically comes with hookah cleaning kits doesn't fit.

I'd love for someone to come over with a KM and see what the difference is. Part of me wonders if I could improve on my sessions with a different one or not. I'm guessing short of having bigger diameter ports and a bigger stem, I don't see how..

Oh, further mods, I did replace the stock hose with a nammor, as there is a good deal of difference on the pull, but they are still nice hoses, and I wish the nammor looked half as nice as those hoses.

Last edited by Barnaby; March 27th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
usmc70_14
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the tips... Is it safe to assume that chillers are pointless and that I should just stick with ice in the base and using a refrigerated stem.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc70_14 View Post
Thanks for the tips... Is it safe to assume that chillers are pointless and that I should just stick with ice in the base and using a refrigerated stem.
No no no.. They are not pointless.. They do work very well, if you want ice'd down hookah sessions. I think it does a great job of cooling the smoke down, with less loss of flavor than ice in the base.

I do like it best when its hot out, so my smoke stays cool.. Otherwise I don't use it as much. Either way, they look pretty cool, don't have too much of a premium, and it does give you another option to play with.

Its up to you if cooling down the smoke is important or not.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Just a point I'd like to make....draining water out of the chiller with this "valve" will have ADVERSE effects to the cooling ability of the chiller. Having water in chamber as well as ice maximizes contact with the stem and in turn maximizes the heat transfer (cooling process). Also, water and ice coexist at 0 degrees Celsius, the water you are draining off is ~0 degrees Celsius and the ice is at ~0 degrees, give or take a few degrees. The AIR that would replace the water drained off would be at ambient room temp which is much greater than 0 degrees and will then in turn melt your ice faster. It is for these two reasons I see no benefit in training the water from the chiller; it is in my view, in fact the opposite of beneficial....
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

The only benefit of the valve, is when the ice is all melted, and you want to add more, you can drain out the warm water, and add ice without having to take the stem out the base. Otherwise, I agree that taking out the water constantly is pointless, and won't be as effective.

Also, crushed ice works very well, if you have an easy way to get it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

I also add salt; increases chilliness
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Fall
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
I also add salt; increases chilliness