Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Wind Covers...?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84
Default Wind Covers...?

Just out of curiousity, what's the point of using a wind cover if you're not using it outside for wind protection...i've been hearing that everyone reccomends getting one but i know a lot of you guys smoke primarily indoors.

so whats the point?

also if i get one i was thinking of getting the one called the "Taj" that sorta looked like the taj mahal (...?) *but i cant remember where i saw it for sale...anyone know? also, has anyone used the "Taj" cover and/or like it compared to other covers?
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Wind Covers...?

it just holds the heat in. think of a fire place in a huge meeting hall, put the same fire place in your living room, which is going to be warmer

when coals get small it stretches them out and helps on tobacco that needs a bit more but another coal would be too much

-matt
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1044
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:38 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Better heat management, also gets the bowl started faster. I use a wind cover indoors.

/root
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84

Thanks Cnphoto that's the one i was looking for!

i think i may give it a shot...
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Rutch
Hookah Nut

I've got a ghetto one made out of foil that works pretty well, I'd like to pick up a real one someday. So far every time I place an order, the vendors are out of stock on decent windcovers.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

I dont use a windcover that often.. its nice on a windy day but i normally never use it.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:58 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

ask bradedup about this one...he cantell you exactly why.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:47 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

The way i look at it, is that adding a windcover is roughly the same as adding half a coal. As Mattathayde said, it retains the heat and makes it much hotter. So i generally put two CH coals on the bowl, and if it doesnt do so well with that, i throw on my windcover. And there is almost never an occasionw here thats not enough heat. The best thing is to be aware and add and remove it as needed.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I use a windcover all the time, even at the beginning of a session, it heats up the bowl quicker, and makes heat management a lot easier, and once the windcover is on it retains most of the heat towards the bowl
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

I have that Taj windcover, i think its ok but
dont wash it, it will rust from the inside.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

windcovers help spread the heat from the coals throughout the whole bowl, which gets your sessions started faster, and when your coals are dying can give them an extra bosst. the Taj windcover is sold at www.hookah-shisha.com and it comes in either silver or black, im thinking of getting it too
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Niko
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Niko

by holding more heat in it makes the tobacco burn more thus leading to more smoke and taste.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I use a wind cover if things are taking a bit to get started or if I want to stretch a coal.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
PiNKL0VE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to PiNKL0VE Send a message via Yahoo to PiNKL0VE

I always start my session off with the wind cover on, it helps get the ball rollin, but take it off about 10 minutes in, depending on the flavor & brand to keep it from burning. I also use mine cause I'm scared one of my cats will sniff just a little to close lol. Its a good thing to have one hand, you never know when you'll be outside on a blustery day!
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNKL0VE View Post
I always start my session off with the wind cover on, it helps get the ball rollin, but take it off about 10 minutes in, depending on the flavor & brand to keep it from burning. I also use mine cause I'm scared one of my cats will sniff just a little to close lol. Its a good thing to have one hand, you never know when you'll be outside on a blustery day!

oh man Ive got the same worry, my cat weighs 13 bs. (not fat just big) and if he wants to mess with the hookah, no amount of brass will stop him lol.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:24 AM
PiNKL0VE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to PiNKL0VE Send a message via Yahoo to PiNKL0VE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
oh man Ive got the same worry, my cat weighs 13 bs. (not fat just big) and if he wants to mess with the hookah, no amount of brass will stop him lol.
yeah well i've got 6 of them... well when i smoke its like 5 cause my baby hates the other 5 so she stays in my room upstairs. its the kittens i worry most about sniffing too close they are idiiots. not even wacking the kittens a good one has taught them to leave my hookah alone, one day they'll know better.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

I feel ya, ive caught him in the fireplace several times listening to birds, cleaning a white cat covered in ash is great lol
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

I use it to get the ball rollin.once it's smoking good I take it off.when the coal starts getting small losing more heat I put the cover back on.coal also lasts longer with a cover.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Saint King
Hookah Newbie

Wind cover = Better heat management

Simple, yes? Follow the advice you have received here, it will do you a world of good.
Also, it is not that hard to make a Wind Cover... just saying
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

I made one from a Juicy Juice Can, a screwdriver and some aggression. Of course I have since then bought one.

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I always use a windcover. I take it off when I feel it needs to be, and when It needs to go back on, that's what I do! It's very good at prolonging sessions by at least 30 more minutes!
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

awesome guys, i tacked one of the Taj covers on my last order (placed three orders last night, lol) i'll see how it does when i get it...we've been having some windy days here in NorCal recently...

side story, the paintball field i used to work at got bought by new people, and they put up new nets for the field...we (old management) told them to put on pulleys so they could be lowered during windy season...they didnt listen, and while i was there today during 50mph+ winds ALL of the new nets they put up that were wrapped around 2x4's and lag bolted to the telephone poles ripped off...only the high tension cable saved it from crashing into cars in the parkinglot...not even a thanks for helping them wrestle that 22ft crap to the ground...bastards...but i digress...

other side story...my 5 cats are also slightly retarded...once one of them got singed though none of the others have tried touching anything hot in the house...animal communication, lol
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePro84 View Post
awesome guys, i tacked one of the Taj covers on my last order (placed three orders last night, lol) i'll see how it does when i get it...we've been having some windy days here in NorCal recently...

side story, the paintball field i used to work at got bought by new people, and they put up new nets for the field...we (old management) told them to put on pulleys so they could be lowered during windy season...they didnt listen, and while i was there today during 50mph+ winds ALL of the new nets they put up that were wrapped around 2x4's and lag bolted to the telephone poles ripped off...only the high tension cable saved it from crashing into cars in the parkinglot...not even a thanks for helping them wrestle that 22ft crap to the ground...bastards...but i digress...

other side story...my 5 cats are also slightly retarded...once one of them got singed though none of the others have tried touching anything hot in the house...animal communication, lol
when we built a new small field where i used to work (it was stupidly small) we put pulleys on the netting and wow that was the biggest PITA ever to get it up and down and the maintenance on it, we had netting on another field that was permanent and the only issues we ever had was one side's bottom would blow up (some times needed a few guys to sit on it to tack it down. but the pulleyed syetem only lasted a few months before it needed a lot of repairs

-matt
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

heh, when we worked there, it was just rope and eye hooks at the top of the poles, dropped the nets every sunday, and raised them friday night, never had a problem with that for 5 years...didnt use any special equipment, just heavy rope and standard eye hooks...that would have been easy enough to do...but whatever.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook