Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Better Hookah, or Better Hoses?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Phil 386
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Phil 386
Default Better Hookah, or Better Hoses?

I'm looking into purchasing my first Hookah fairly soon, and I've been trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can from reviews/videos/posts, anywhere really. Most of the video's I've seen of higher quality hookahs seem to say that the hoses they come with aren't the best, so I beg the question:

When one is just starting, such as myself, is it better to spend the money on a good Hookah and use the mediocre hose it may come with, or to purchase a cheaper hookah to learn the ropes on, and get a nicer hose to use for a better draw?

Also any recomendations on a good first hookah would be awesome, though I'm sure I could also search for those. Thanks!
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: Better Hookah, or Better Hoses?

How much are you willing to spend on the hookah itself?
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

we get these a lot dont worry.

truth of the matter is, hoses are a lot cheaper than hookahs. get a good pipe, if the hose isnt good, get another hose.

Most people here will tell you to get a KM or maybe a syrian.

I will tell you to definately get a Syrian, or maybe a km or a MZ.

if you want something cheap and small and something thatll do the job for now, consider a mya qt or a mya bambino.

check the vendor forums for deals.

shop for the style you want, not what people tell you. i truely believe syrian brass hookahs smoke better than kms, however kms smoke quite well, some are even relatively attractive. its all on you, if you are confused about the suggestions, just use the forum search feature and you will see 1000x of discussions on specific hookahs.

as for syrian brass to consider: alfakheronline's line of alfakher hookahs (which are made by nour).

********** has a great assortment of kms

thehookah has a lot of kms and a few nours
thehookahstore has some kms and a few nours
hookahcompany has a variety of hookahs including kms and maybe a nour
saharasmoke/hookahhookah carry their own line of hookahs

most hookahstores sell mya's and other chinese hookahs.

edit: this may be my standard reply.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

get both to be honest... get a good hookah with a razan/grand/nammor hose.. but some of the hoses are good as long as they are washable.. im a fan of washable hoses... f rust!
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Most people will tell you to get KM hookah and Razan hose. I am not saying they are wrong but at the same time I really like the hose that comes with KM hookah. The only problem is that it is not washable.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

Honestly, I would say just get a good small one first. Learn how to pack bowls and manage heat and find your flavors that you enjoy. Spend the money on other things, because I'm guessing at first, you're gonna want to try a lot of different flavors and bowls. I know hookah-shisha.com has a deal where you get a free mini hookah from mya if you spend $100. I got it as my first one and it's awesome. It's a nice little hookah you can enjoy by yourself and because it's so small it's easy to clean and definitely takes up a lot less space and I'm sure you'll see reviews that people really like the thing, the only problem is the base grommet and the purging, but there's ways to fix the purging. After that, definitely go out and try bigger hookahs. I picked up a KM at a local shop and got a nice Razan Sultan hose from ********** and it's awesome. But if you don't know how to pack a bowl and manage your heat or even have any good flavors to smoke, it doesn't matter how nice your rig is, it's still gonna suck. So yeah, sorry for the long-winded post, just thought I'd tell what I learned.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:30 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexyPanda View Post
Honestly, I would say just get a good small one first. Learn how to pack bowls and manage heat and find your flavors that you enjoy. Spend the money on other things, because I'm guessing at first, you're gonna want to try a lot of different flavors and bowls. I know hookah-shisha.com has a deal where you get a free mini hookah from mya if you spend $100. I got it as my first one and it's awesome. It's a nice little hookah you can enjoy by yourself and because it's so small it's easy to clean and definitely takes up a lot less space and I'm sure you'll see reviews that people really like the thing, the only problem is the base grommet and the purging, but there's ways to fix the purging. After that, definitely go out and try bigger hookahs. I picked up a KM at a local shop and got a nice Razan Sultan hose from ********** and it's awesome. But if you don't know how to pack a bowl and manage your heat or even have any good flavors to smoke, it doesn't matter how nice your rig is, it's still gonna suck. So yeah, sorry for the long-winded post, just thought I'd tell what I learned.

I think thats a great idea, if you have the money get $100 worth of shisha from h-s and the the MYA for now and then upgrade when your used to it.

But i personally wouldn't get a small hookah and then a larger one as its just a waste of money, as long as you clean your larger hookah on a regular basis nothing can go wrong with it,
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

The bambino can fut phunnel bowl and nammor hose right?
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

The hookah itself in my opinion is more important than the hose. What you're looking for is a good draw that you like. Syrians, KMs have really nice draws. After smoking both from a syrian and a KM I'd recommend a Syrian. They're built a lot sturdier, and it'll last you a bit longer than a KM would.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

i prefer my QT over bambino for balance reasons.
hook that up to a caravan and its awesome.
i'm thinkin about buying the ice chamber for an additional 15 bucks for the qt
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i have one of those mya minis that HS is giving away with the 100 buck order or what ever, its a good little rig, not as smooth as my larger hookah even with great heat management but its fine, you probably wont notice the difference. they can be had on ebay NIB for 25 bucks shipped though, so might be a way to get one also.

as to which is better, the difference between most crappy hookahs and most good hookahs is how long they will last but the quality is much higher for just a bit more money so i would probably suggest get a good rig and you can upgrade the hose later, any way your paying 10-22 bucks now per 250 of tobacco is 15-20 for a nammor or razan that much?

i think the base size (above water line) and smallest diameter that is sustained for very long are what makes a hookah easy to draw from or not. a standard hose will be ok for a while but you will want to upgrade eventually, KM hose are supposed to be very wide gauge though similar to a razan/nammor
-matt
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
we get these a lot dont worry.

truth of the matter is, hoses are a lot cheaper than hookahs. get a good pipe, if the hose isnt good, get another hose.

Most people here will tell you to get a KM or maybe a syrian.

I will tell you to definately get a Syrian, or maybe a km or a MZ.

if you want something cheap and small and something thatll do the job for now, consider a mya qt or a mya bambino.

check the vendor forums for deals.

shop for the style you want, not what people tell you. i truely believe syrian brass hookahs smoke better than kms, however kms smoke quite well, some are even relatively attractive. its all on you, if you are confused about the suggestions, just use the forum search feature and you will see 1000x of discussions on specific hookahs.

as for syrian brass to consider: alfakheronline's line of alfakher hookahs (which are made by nour).

********** has a great assortment of kms

thehookah has a lot of kms and a few nours
thehookahstore has some kms and a few nours
hookahcompany has a variety of hookahs including kms and maybe a nour
saharasmoke/hookahhookah carry their own line of hookahs

most hookahstores sell mya's and other chinese hookahs.

edit: this may be my standard reply.
THS doesn't carry KMs at present and I don't think ever has; otherwise good post ^_^
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

i shall edit my standard response, thanks for the correction

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
euroautolover
Hookah Nut

Arrow Re: Better Hookah, or Better Hoses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 386 View Post
I'm looking into purchasing my first Hookah fairly soon, and I've been trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can from reviews/videos/posts, anywhere really. Most of the video's I've seen of higher quality hookahs seem to say that the hoses they come with aren't the best, so I beg the question:

When one is just starting, such as myself, is it better to spend the money on a good Hookah and use the mediocre hose it may come with, or to purchase a cheaper hookah to learn the ropes on, and get a nicer hose to use for a better draw?

Also any recomendations on a good first hookah would be awesome, though I'm sure I could also search for those. Thanks!
Don't go for a big flashy hookah for your first. I would suggest a medium, one hose hookah. Also, don't go for expensive. When you get a decent, cheap hookah, you know features you want to look for when you get a nice one.
I would personally suggest:
http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...h-p-16433.html

It comes with all the necessities as well, such as coal, tobacco, tongs, cleaning brush, etc.

If you do decide to order from sahara smoke co., pm me and I can give you coupon codes. (I order from them quite often).
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

I agree with above info, although I lucked out and ended up with a Brass syrian for 35$ lol,

Getting the hang of hooking can be a long hard road.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

better hookah with better hoses like a km or get some discounted cobra hoses ´from sahara smoke
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

caravan trading group on ebay sells KMs with caravan grand hoses already =)
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

i'm still using my "first" hookah, and its just a regular chinese. smokes like a champ, purge isnt that great but i dont need to purge that often, id recommend trying out a Junior Hookah from hookah-shisha.com cause its like 40 bucks, just to learn the ropes, even with its mediocre hose it still smokes great, and itll make you a master in no time! ^^
so after learning all the tricks of the trade, id then upgrade the hose and/or hookah as i please. hope this helps
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
Getting the hang of hooking can be a long hard road.
...uhhhhhhhhhh.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenbythesky View Post
...uhhhhhhhhhh.

was trying to find the word for "doing the hookah" hahaha didnt realize what I typed until now
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

I would say both should be good. Dn't worry about getting a good hookah if your a novice, if you get a nour syrian, its solid brass so its not going to get damaged or break or anything.
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:41 AM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Smoke View Post
I would say both should be good. Dn't worry about getting a good hookah if your a novice, if you get a nour syrian, its solid brass so its not going to get damaged or break or anything.
You can't go wrong with brass. Don't buy chinese, unless you're buying MYA. I own two, and they don't compare to a KM or Nour, but they're better than any other Chinese shishas. Hoses are cheap. $20 for a Razan/Grand/Nammor, and those are as good as they get. Worry about the rig first, the hoses are easy to get and much less expensive.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Definitely a better hookah is what you want. I don't have any personal problems with Mya hookahs, other than the chamber design, and I think they are the sturdiest rigs available and if you take care of them they will last you an untold amount of time. The finish on those things basically invincible!

Here's what I always say:

Mya: You want a Mya if you will be moving the hookah around a lot, traveling with it, and smoking with multiple people. With lots of people, the hookah is going to tip, it's inevitable. The hoses that come with the Mya are great, I personally use Mya hoses (other than my Mod hose). You can also throw the stem of a Mya in the dishwasher. All the parts (other than the center stem) clean well with just water.

KM/Syrian: You want one of these if your sessions are going to be very relaxed with some friends or solo. These aren't good party hookahs at all. If you choose to go with one of these, you enter into a brand new debate.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

bah hookahs should be for relaxation...thats why should get a syrian lol

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

i bought the MYA mini acrylic ( the one that they are giving away for 100 order on H-s.com) it is a great hookah, but note that I have never smoked from a KM, Nour, or MZ. Now what I would like to say (note again that I have no prior experience with them) is that a MZ may be a great hookah choice because they are somewhat cheaper then KMs but I have heard nothing but good from owners. The hose, eh, id get that later on mainly because you dont know what flavors you are gonna be pleased with, if you like cinnamon , mint, or any other stronger flavors then you may want to purchase a seperate hose just for that. I believe MZ's come with large hoses also from **********. Wow long post, well heres my conclusion : If you enjoy only fruity flavors (for example) you should probably be good with a single unwashable hose that most good hookahs come with. A MYA will be suitable if you dont mind purge modding it of course.. but that is a five minute project. They also are very sturdy hookahs so you dont have to worry about them breaking like other chinese hookahs. Also note that , at least for me, the washable hoses do not lose their flavors like one would expect, i still get a wide array of flavors after over an hour of washing my Nammor.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook