Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How harmful is smoking hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe
Default How harmful is smoking hookah?

Hey guys and girls,
I just wanted to let you know about the newest study of the German PD Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Schulz of the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment about the topic "Dangers and risks of smoking waterpipe". Some members of shisha-forum.de attended a lecture of him on 01/13/2009 at the Ruprecht-Karls-University in Heidelberg.
The lecture started with an introduction about the differences between a hookah and a **** for everybody, who dont know, what it is.
The main reason for this study was the growing number of hookah smokers worldwide (2008 in a poll, 12% of young people between 14 and 17 years said, they are smoking hookah regularly), otherwise there were many unanswered questions about the harmfulness of smoking hookah and there haven't been good studies before.

The main questions, scientists had:
- how does water filter the harmful substances?
- what's the consistency of the smoke?
- how harmful is passive smoking?
- are there any health effects?
- which harmful substances are there?

They compared a hookah with cigarettes:

Amount?
Hookah: 5-20g ; Cigarette: 0.7-1.0g
Capacity (1 drag)?
Hookah: 300-500ml ; Cigarette: 35-60ml
Number of drags?
Hookah: 100-170 ; Cigarette: 8-12
Capacity (alltogether)?
Hookah: 85l ; Cigarette: 0.72l
Units / day?
Hookah: up to 10 ; Cigarette: up to 60

PD Dr. rer. nat. Schulz said, that there was a mistake in the older studies, which said "smoking hookah is 100 times more harmful, than smoking cigarettes!" - just because the capacity is 100 times bigger, it is not 100 times harmfuller.

The experiment setup:
- 10g imported tobacco (probably Nakhla Two Apples)
- Quicklight coals
- Capacity: 530ml in 2.6 seconds
- 1 drag in 20 seconds
- filter changed after 105 drags (because of the wetness the filter was clogged)
- alltogether: 171 drags

(experiment setup, left: fake lung, right: experimental hookah)

after the first test, there was a first result:
- 70% water vapor
- 2.8g condensate
- water doesnt have a good filter effect, because of the big bubbles (better filter effect with a diffusor)

Then PD Dr. rer. nat. Schulz told about the "biomonitoringstudy":
- 10 hookah smokers, 10 nonsmokers
- 5g tobacco (probably Nakhla Two Apples)
- same coals (ql)
- 1 waterpipe
- 1 layer of tinfoil (standard punch)
- 30 minutes sessions
- collecting 24 hours of urine
- blood tests before and after smoking

the collected urine and blood was tested for the following substances:
Cadmium, Lead, Chrome, Arsenic, Carbon monoxide, Carboxyhemoglobin, Nicotine, Cotinin, Benzol-Metabolite, PAK-Metabolite, Acrolein-Metabolite, Acrylamide-Metabolite, NNK-Metabolite
(hope everything is translated right ^^ there are some things i dont even know in German)

First results:
Smoking hookah is addictive and harmful! (because of the harmful substances like carbon monoxide, hydrocarbon, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein etc. and some heavy metals)

of all these substances, PD Dr. rer. nat. Schulz says, the carbon monoxide is the most harmful,because the hemoglobin of some subjects was clogged with up to 30% of carbon monoxide, so the brain gets up to 30% less oxigen.
They are not sure, if this can favor long-tail claims.

That's everything, they know yet, but they will do some more researches within the next months.

To sum up:
- the harmfulness of glycerine isn't cleared yet
- carbon monoxide and nicotine are the most harmful substances in the smoke
- 1 bowl with 5g of flavored tobacco, 1 layer of tinfoil and quicklight coals is ca. as harmful as 2 cigarettes!

i hope everything is understandable. It's really hard to translate such a scientific text.

Source: http://www.lass-blubbern.de/wordpres...edlichkeit.pdf
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

hmm, do we know if he left space between the foil and the tobacco and do we know if he used natural coals if it would be better.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

i agree. i think that one bowl would probably be equivalent to 2 cigs. but if anyone is so worried about there health then get a new hobby. plain and simple.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpimp730 View Post
i agree. i think that one bowl would probably be equivalent to 2 cigs. but if anyone is so worried about there health then get a new hobby. plain and simple.
Agreed. It seems these days everything is harmful to your health. We must all go one day. I would rather enjoy my life now than wonder later what I had missed at the end.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Exactly. I smoke both hookah and cigarettes, so it doesn't really matter. I'm going to go anyways, so might as well experience the greatness of Nakhla. :-)

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
reality-
Banned

I smoke with a diffuser all the time and would not ever go back to smoking without it.. I dont see a reason other then more sound but It gives cool sound when smoking with diffuser as well.. You still get that relaxed feeling from the diffuser except you do not get a heavy nicotinekick but I mean yeah some of us would like to enjoy a good healthy life AND smoke hookah at the same time.. So yeah natural coals, always change water, always diffuser, dont let foil and tobacco touch ...
I hope in the future we will see some kind of substances or something to use in the water so that it will filter all the stuff we do not need for us to enjoy a good hookah smoke still
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

it looks like a better study so far but i still think it is to hard to compare, ok so ya we get 2 cigs worth of CO but we dont get other stuff too.

idk i just have a hard time thinking its as bad when i can smoke hookah for a few hours and not cough the next day yet cigs will make me cough

-matt
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

I didnt want to tell you, how evil smoking is and that you will die at the age of 40, just because of this.
Just wanted to share this new study with you, to tell you that hookah isnt that harmful, as older studies said

I dont think the results are bad. I think everyone knows, that smoking is bad for your health. We all knew before, that there is nicotine and we all knew, that there is carbon monoxide, so for me there is nothing to worry about. In the older studies about smoking hookah have been many more harmful substances.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

all smoking is bad and I knew all along that one hookah is not equal to 200 cigs or w/e they thought but in this test I am kind of disappointed by how they went about it and not making available info about if the tobacco was touching, and to use natural coals. yes, it's good people are realizing it's not that bad, but for the love of god can somebody do a complete and documented test for once? I'll bet alot of that harmful shat was coming off of those coals.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

thats because they just burnt the shit directly man pcserve, im glad you are sharing newer studies that at least attempt to conduct the experiment properly

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

harmful or not im still gona smoke my hookah like every one else has said were all gona go one day why not enjoy it
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
ErickSaint
Hookah Nut

i think Dennis Leary said it best-

"Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life." Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis f**king years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!?
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

^hahah agreed.

I will smoke hookah whether it is legal or not in the future and if it takes years off my life whoopty-doo, so does 99% of the things in my country
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

id rather smoke now, and die younger, cause honestly, who wants to live until they cant wipe themselves, or cant remember your family members or has to wear a diaper? i don't. plus, if you guys can smoke like some of my friends, by only inhaling the smoke down your throat and no tall the way into your lungs, it should significantly cut down on health risks
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
you forgot that you need to live in a bubble and never ingest anything
-matt
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

in some cities the air we breathe is much worse than smoking a hookah
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
in some cities the air we breathe is much worse than smoking a hookah
i have hard that at 40 people that lived in a city their whole lives have the same lungs as smokers, not sure how true it was but it wouldnt surprise me

-matt
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i have hard that at 40 people that lived in a city their whole lives have the same lungs as smokers, not sure how true it was but it wouldnt surprise me

-matt
wouldnt surprise me. look how they issue air quality warnings from time to time and advise you to stay indoors.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Well, i think this study is much much more accurate than the previous ones tested. But without seeing which coals used could be a huge difference in the CO measurement. Some people on our forums tested this theselves and found differences of the CO content depending on which coal was used. Expecially if they used a Quicklight and put it on while it was still lighting or if it was still black. Although, i doubt a fully lit natural coal (expecially coconaras) will eliminate the CO content, it will drastically decrease it if the coal is completely cooked. Good study, please keep us updated with more results from these tests.
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Well, i think this study is much much more accurate than the previous ones tested. But without seeing which coals used could be a huge difference in the CO measurement. Some people on our forums tested this theselves and found differences of the CO content depending on which coal was used. Expecially if they used a Quicklight and put it on while it was still lighting or if it was still black. Although, i doubt a fully lit natural coal (expecially coconaras) will eliminate the CO content, it will drastically decrease it if the coal is completely cooked. Good study, please keep us updated with more results from these tests.
ya i remember some one using a co detector that had a measurement on it (i assume PPM) and the coco type coals were about 30ish PPM where as exotics where able to set off the detector which beeps at 100

i do agree this study is better than the others but i also agree that i we need to see the other info to it

-matt
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
MiGsa
Hookah Newbie

Hmm, well if you take a look at the picture in .pdf file (larger picture), im pretty sure they used quicklight one.
Anyway i guess it should be taken into consideration if person inhales or puffs like a cigar (soz i dont know the exact word of that type of smoking)...

And what effect does it have when you use glass top?

( [] )...
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGsa View Post
Hmm, well if you take a look at the picture in .pdf file (larger picture), im pretty sure they used quicklight one.
Anyway i guess it should be taken into consideration if person inhales or puffs like a cigar (soz i dont know the exact word of that type of smoking)...

And what effect does it have when you use glass top?

( [] )...
you mean a glass bowl/head, shouldnt make very much of a difference if any, there might be a small measurable difference but i doubt its much if any probably will fall into the standard deviation amounts.

-matt
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

i think the only thing you could make better is taking other coals.
im not sure, but i think they used 3K coals, as i read anywhere.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

I'm so tired of the government passing anti-smoking and anti-tobacco laws to punish smokers, when it's a personal choice to make. Sure, it's unhealthy. But the best things in life are unhealthy.

I don't want to live to see myself become incontinent and amnesiac. I'd settle for a shorter life if I could live it fully and enjoy every minute of it. You could die tomorrow in a car crash before you know what hit you.

We don't smoke hookah because it's unhealthy, we do it because we enjoy it. Screw the Soccer Moms Congregation or whatever took over our governments and turned them into moralistic purists. While some are busy worrying about what's right and what's wrong, I just flip them the finger and go on doing what I enjoy.

Happy smoking, HP
Share with your friends on facebook