Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How harmful is smoking hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakins View Post
I'm so tired of the government passing anti-smoking and anti-tobacco laws to punish smokers, when it's a personal choice to make. Sure, it's unhealthy. But the best things in life are unhealthy.

I don't want to live to see myself become incontinent and amnesiac. I'd settle for a shorter life if I could live it fully and enjoy every minute of it. You could die tomorrow in a car crash before you know what hit you.

We don't smoke hookah because it's unhealthy, we do it because we enjoy it. Screw the Soccer Moms Congregation or whatever took over our governments and turned them into moralistic purists. While some are busy worrying about what's right and what's wrong, I just flip them the finger and go on doing what I enjoy.

Happy smoking, HP
i dont have an issue with segregating us in public or not allowing it with in certain distances of entrances, schools, or other public places that a person cannot avoid because while it is a choice i dont want to make my fellow man uncomfortable because of my pleasures. however i think making it impossible for people to smoke in a public establishment is crazy, there have been smoking and non smoking sections for years and i know the non smoking sections dont get noticeable amounts of smoke in them.

i do think that if they are going to tax tobacco then they need to EVENLY tax tobacco, alcohol, and all other luxury items (soda, candy, junk food, nice clothing, nice cars, big houses, etc), hell even evenly tax tobacco. how the hell does it make sense to tax RYO 23 bucks a pound and hookah tobacco 4 bucks a kilo and packs of cigs like 60 cents, either X per package or X per weight, same with all the other luxury items too

-matt
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i do think that if they are going to tax tobacco then they need to EVENLY tax tobacco, alcohol, and all other luxury items (soda, candy, junk food, nice clothing, nice cars, big houses, etc), hell even evenly tax tobacco. how the hell does it make sense to tax RYO 23 bucks a pound and hookah tobacco 4 bucks a kilo and packs of cigs like 60 cents, either X per package or X per weight, same with all the other luxury items too

-matt
That's like trying to get them to evenly tax cigarettes and alchohol across STATEs. In VA it's about $4 a pack, and in MD it's about $7 a pack. VA has the ABC stores for liquor where everythings the same no matter where in VA you are, but MD has individual "wine and spirit", "liquor", etc stores with widely varying prices.

It's never gonna happen. Alcohol is WAY more dangerous, but not as heavily controlled or taxed, but smoking is seen as a bigger "health risk". Lung cancer = Liver cancer = Dead. It's all the same.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
MiGsa
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
you mean a glass bowl/head, shouldnt make very much of a difference if any, there might be a small measurable difference but i doubt its much if any probably will fall into the standard deviation amounts.

-matt
Well, yea, glass bowl and glass screen (covering tobaccon instead foil), would that make any difference since coal is not actually touching or ashing the tobacco.

( [] )...
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGsa View Post
Well, yea, glass bowl and glass screen (covering tobaccon instead foil), would that make any difference since coal is not actually touching or ashing the tobacco.

( [] )...
i doubt it would be really noticeable, there might be a "measurable" difference but i dont think its anything major

-matt
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
Agree 1000000 %
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i think everyone here knows, that smoking hookah is harmful. but the question is, if its more or less harmful than smoking cigarettes or if it is comparable with something else ...
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

There is no way to "safely" smoke. I enjoy hookah very much. I know that there are health risks involved. I support keeping all tobacco from children, this is good common sense.

If you are truly concerned about health, just give up smoking entirely.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemab4y View Post
There is no way to "safely" smoke. I enjoy hookah very much. I know that there are health risks involved. I support keeping all tobacco from children, this is good common sense.

If you are truly concerned about health, just give up smoking entirely.
I could not agree more..... Now if we could just get the Governments to see it that way and stop making news laws against it.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

I hate this thread...
________
uhwh

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

In Soviet Russia, threads hate you!
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
In Soviet Russia, threads hate you!
im really surprised no one has used that for a "hookah smokes you"

-matt
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

eh, you dont want to play it out lol, once a month is good enough.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

The way I look at it is people smoke upwards of 30 cigarrettes a day but I only smoke the hookah as a treat every now and then. Plus they put a bunch of crap into cigarettes to make them burn evenly (tar) which the hookah obviously doesnt need, they put cyanide in them too...god knows why, i think its in the filter :S

...anything in moderation
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
.... they put cyanide in them too...god knows why, i think its in the filter :S

...anything in moderation
If I remember correctly I think it's to bleach the paper and the filter.

I may be wrong though. Can't remember where I saw it.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
benzona2
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
wouldnt surprise me. look how they issue air quality warnings from time to time and advise you to stay indoors.
lol imagine this, smoking hookah to avoid unhealthy street air!
man you live in japan or something? (btw when I went on a trip to Netherlands the air was so clear I thought they implanted a bigger set of lounges in my body when I was asleep!! I went there from Israel which isn't so poluted as well)
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Texas air is getting worse. I never had allergy problems too bad or congestion/getting sick problems until I moved here. Id rather be in a smoky bar with a good filtration system in the system than outside.
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
hookah head
Hookah Nut

yep if im gonna die im at least gonna have fun and relax with my girl smoking my fav flavor
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
theprince8996
Hookah Newbie

just do it once in a while
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

atleast their aint things like rat poison which are in cigerettes
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
i dont have an issue with segregating us in public or not allowing it with in certain distances of entrances, schools, or other public places that a person cannot avoid because while it is a choice i dont want to make my fellow man uncomfortable because of my pleasures. however i think making it impossible for people to smoke in a public establishment is crazy, there have been smoking and non smoking sections for years and i know the non smoking sections dont get noticeable amounts of smoke in them.

-matt
Someone noted my link I guess and resuscitated this thread.

Anyway I disagree with the notion that something should be taxed simply because something caries a health risk with it for the simple reason that giving the state such a justification for modifying one's behavior helps to politicize science and expand state authority into areas are are private matters. That rationale has already served as the basis for onerous taxes on tobacco and alcohol which hurt the economy and have provided the thin end of the wedge for expanded government control over our lives.

As to forcibly segregating smokers from none smokers I object to that as well since how a proprietor chooses to treat his customers is simply not a matter for the government to decide.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
i think everyone here knows, that smoking hookah is harmful. but the question is, if its more or less harmful than smoking cigarettes or if it is comparable with something else ...
It seems intuitively correct to me that moassel is less threatening then cigarettes but the fact is that far too many variables exist for any sort of proof to be forth coming. Besides, tobacco research is nearly entirely driven by political pressures so I simply don't see the will, let alone the budget and ability, to get any sort of comprehensive research done on the issue.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Jonz
Hookah Newbie

As with anything, moderation, and common sense is in order. Breath between smokes, don't inhale too deep too often, don't chain smoke all day.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingking View Post
atleast their aint things like rat poison which are in cigerettes
The reason that rat poison exists in tobacco is the same reason it exists in food, drinks and house hold furnishings and that reason is not because someone consciously added it to the product. Rather, rat poison,and a bunch of other nasty things, are found in consumer products because they are used in the production facilities, vehicles and warehouses that the product travels through one the way to the consumer. All sorts of nasty chemicals become air born or get on surfaces and settle on the product because it's not practical to prevent that from happening to some extent.

The only reason we are aware of such things is thanks to the science behind mass spectrometry which allows us to find trace elements that other wise could not be detected. I should point out that just because something can be measured does not mean that the substance is a health threat. The real question is if the nasty substance in question is present in large enough quantities to elevate the risk of consumption at some predetermined dose over a given period of time. In other words, the specifics about what is "bad" for you is not a binary thing but very complicated.

I'd be willing to bet that all tobacco (and every other agricultural product for that matter) everywhere in the world has chemicals that can be dangerous in that all agricultural products are gown with fertilizers and pesticides as well exposed to air and water that is to some extent polluted. The question is at what point do the risk factors of such contaminants make for an unacceptable public health risk. That is a super tough question to answer for experts all the related fields but one that is commonly dealt with from a standpoint of scientific and economic ignorance and dogma.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
100% healthy is impossible.

If you want to be healthy die imo.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Debo09
Hookah Newbie

I think of it this way:

Is smoking bad for you? Yes

But lets break it down. A bowl of shisha has less nicotine then one cigarette. A cigerette smoker will smoke anywhere from 1 cig to 2 packs a day. We'll say the average is 8 cigs a day.

The average hookah smoker I would say smokes one bowl a day. Sometimes you smoke more then one, sometimes you don't smoke for a while. The less nicotene + less amount of smoking = not as bad as cigs.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook