Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How harmful is smoking hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakins View Post
I'm so tired of the government passing anti-smoking and anti-tobacco laws to punish smokers, when it's a personal choice to make. Sure, it's unhealthy. But the best things in life are unhealthy.

I don't want to live to see myself become incontinent and amnesiac. I'd settle for a shorter life if I could live it fully and enjoy every minute of it. You could die tomorrow in a car crash before you know what hit you.

We don't smoke hookah because it's unhealthy, we do it because we enjoy it. Screw the Soccer Moms Congregation or whatever took over our governments and turned them into moralistic purists. While some are busy worrying about what's right and what's wrong, I just flip them the finger and go on doing what I enjoy.

Happy smoking, HP
i dont have an issue with segregating us in public or not allowing it with in certain distances of entrances, schools, or other public places that a person cannot avoid because while it is a choice i dont want to make my fellow man uncomfortable because of my pleasures. however i think making it impossible for people to smoke in a public establishment is crazy, there have been smoking and non smoking sections for years and i know the non smoking sections dont get noticeable amounts of smoke in them.

i do think that if they are going to tax tobacco then they need to EVENLY tax tobacco, alcohol, and all other luxury items (soda, candy, junk food, nice clothing, nice cars, big houses, etc), hell even evenly tax tobacco. how the hell does it make sense to tax RYO 23 bucks a pound and hookah tobacco 4 bucks a kilo and packs of cigs like 60 cents, either X per package or X per weight, same with all the other luxury items too

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
faeriekitsune's Avatar
faeriekitsune
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 608
Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i do think that if they are going to tax tobacco then they need to EVENLY tax tobacco, alcohol, and all other luxury items (soda, candy, junk food, nice clothing, nice cars, big houses, etc), hell even evenly tax tobacco. how the hell does it make sense to tax RYO 23 bucks a pound and hookah tobacco 4 bucks a kilo and packs of cigs like 60 cents, either X per package or X per weight, same with all the other luxury items too

-matt
That's like trying to get them to evenly tax cigarettes and alchohol across STATEs. In VA it's about $4 a pack, and in MD it's about $7 a pack. VA has the ABC stores for liquor where everythings the same no matter where in VA you are, but MD has individual "wine and spirit", "liquor", etc stores with widely varying prices.

It's never gonna happen. Alcohol is WAY more dangerous, but not as heavily controlled or taxed, but smoking is seen as a bigger "health risk". Lung cancer = Liver cancer = Dead. It's all the same.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
MiGsa
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
you mean a glass bowl/head, shouldnt make very much of a difference if any, there might be a small measurable difference but i doubt its much if any probably will fall into the standard deviation amounts.

-matt
Well, yea, glass bowl and glass screen (covering tobaccon instead foil), would that make any difference since coal is not actually touching or ashing the tobacco.


( [] )...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGsa View Post
Well, yea, glass bowl and glass screen (covering tobaccon instead foil), would that make any difference since coal is not actually touching or ashing the tobacco.


( [] )...
i doubt it would be really noticeable, there might be a "measurable" difference but i dont think its anything major

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thunder's Avatar
Thunder
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,427
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
Agree 1000000 %
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
PCServe
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Saxony, Germany
Posts: 1,563
Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

i think everyone here knows, that smoking hookah is harmful. but the question is, if its more or less harmful than smoking cigarettes or if it is comparable with something else ...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
cemab4y's Avatar
cemab4y
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Afghanistan (Washington DC metro is home)
Posts: 235
Send a message via MSN to cemab4y
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

There is no way to "safely" smoke. I enjoy hookah very much. I know that there are health risks involved. I support keeping all tobacco from children, this is good common sense.

If you are truly concerned about health, just give up smoking entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
paulk's Avatar
paulk
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 905
Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemab4y View Post
There is no way to "safely" smoke. I enjoy hookah very much. I know that there are health risks involved. I support keeping all tobacco from children, this is good common sense.

If you are truly concerned about health, just give up smoking entirely.
I could not agree more..... Now if we could just get the Governments to see it that way and stop making news laws against it.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
yeags777's Avatar
yeags777
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 790
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

I hate this thread...
________
uhwh

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Shienhausser's Avatar
Shienhausser
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY/TX
Posts: 1,422
Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

In Soviet Russia, threads hate you!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post
In Soviet Russia, threads hate you!
im really surprised no one has used that for a "hookah smokes you"

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Shienhausser's Avatar
Shienhausser
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY/TX
Posts: 1,422
Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

eh, you dont want to play it out lol, once a month is good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
squareben's Avatar
squareben
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, England
Posts: 302
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

The way I look at it is people smoke upwards of 30 cigarrettes a day but I only smoke the hookah as a treat every now and then. Plus they put a bunch of crap into cigarettes to make them burn evenly (tar) which the hookah obviously doesnt need, they put cyanide in them too...god knows why, i think its in the filter :S

...anything in moderation
__________________
www.canterburyshisha.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
paulk's Avatar
paulk
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 905
Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
.... they put cyanide in them too...god knows why, i think its in the filter :S

...anything in moderation
If I remember correctly I think it's to bleach the paper and the filter.

I may be wrong though. Can't remember where I saw it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
benzona2
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
wouldnt surprise me. look how they issue air quality warnings from time to time and advise you to stay indoors.
lol imagine this, smoking hookah to avoid unhealthy street air!
man you live in japan or something? (btw when I went on a trip to Netherlands the air was so clear I thought they implanted a bigger set of lounges in my body when I was asleep!! I went there from Israel which isn't so poluted as well)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Shienhausser's Avatar
Shienhausser
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY/TX
Posts: 1,422
Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Texas air is getting worse. I never had allergy problems too bad or congestion/getting sick problems until I moved here. Id rather be in a smoky bar with a good filtration system in the system than outside.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
hookah head's Avatar
hookah head
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

yep if im gonna die im at least gonna have fun and relax with my girl smoking my fav flavor
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
theprince8996's Avatar
theprince8996
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 1
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

just do it once in a while
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
blazingking's Avatar
blazingking
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 443
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

atleast their aint things like rat poison which are in cigerettes
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i dont have an issue with segregating us in public or not allowing it with in certain distances of entrances, schools, or other public places that a person cannot avoid because while it is a choice i dont want to make my fellow man uncomfortable because of my pleasures. however i think making it impossible for people to smoke in a public establishment is crazy, there have been smoking and non smoking sections for years and i know the non smoking sections dont get noticeable amounts of smoke in them.

i do think that if they are going to tax tobacco then they need to EVENLY tax tobacco, alcohol, and all other luxury items (soda, candy, junk food, nice clothing, nice cars, big houses, etc), hell even evenly tax tobacco. how the hell does it make sense to tax RYO 23 bucks a pound and hookah tobacco 4 bucks a kilo and packs of cigs like 60 cents, either X per package or X per weight, same with all the other luxury items too

-matt
Someone noted my link I guess and resuscitated this thread.

Anyway I disagree with the notion that something should be taxed simply because something caries a health risk with it for the simple reason that giving the state such a justification for modifying one's behavior helps to politicize science and expand state authority into areas are are private matters. That rationale has already served as the basis for onerous taxes on tobacco and alcohol which hurt the economy and have provided the thin end of the wedge for expanded government control over our lives.

As to forcibly segregating smokers from none smokers I object to that as well since how a proprietor chooses to treat his customers is simply not a matter for the government to decide.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
i think everyone here knows, that smoking hookah is harmful. but the question is, if its more or less harmful than smoking cigarettes or if it is comparable with something else ...
It seems intuitively correct to me that moassel is less threatening then cigarettes but the fact is that far too many variables exist for any sort of proof to be forth coming. Besides, tobacco research is nearly entirely driven by political pressures so I simply don't see the will, let alone the budget and ability, to get any sort of comprehensive research done on the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Jonz's Avatar
Jonz
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 56
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

As with anything, moderation, and common sense is in order. Breath between smokes, don't inhale too deep too often, don't chain smoke all day.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingking View Post
atleast their aint things like rat poison which are in cigerettes
The reason that rat poison exists in tobacco is the same reason it exists in food, drinks and house hold furnishings and that reason is not because someone consciously added it to the product. Rather, rat poison,and a bunch of other nasty things, are found in consumer products because they are used in the production facilities, vehicles and warehouses that the product travels through one the way to the consumer. All sorts of nasty chemicals become air born or get on surfaces and settle on the product because it's not practical to prevent that from happening to some extent.

The only reason we are aware of such things is thanks to the science behind mass spectrometry which allows us to find trace elements that other wise could not be detected. I should point out that just because something can be measured does not mean that the substance is a health threat. The real question is if the nasty substance in question is present in large enough quantities to elevate the risk of consumption at some predetermined dose over a given period of time. In other words, the specifics about what is "bad" for you is not a binary thing but very complicated.

I'd be willing to bet that all tobacco (and every other agricultural product for that matter) everywhere in the world has chemicals that can be dangerous in that all agricultural products are gown with fertilizers and pesticides as well exposed to air and water that is to some extent polluted. The question is at what point do the risk factors of such contaminants make for an unacceptable public health risk. That is a super tough question to answer for experts all the related fields but one that is commonly dealt with from a standpoint of scientific and economic ignorance and dogma.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sui's Avatar
Sui
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
ALL sorts of smoking are harmful. Get over it. Want to be 100% healthy? avoid all types of smoking!
100% healthy is impossible.

If you want to be healthy die imo.
__________________
"I don't want to swim the ocean, I don't want to fight the tide. I don't want to swim forever! When it is cold, I'd like to die."
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Debo09
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 32
Default Re: How harmful is smoking hookah?

I think of it this way:

Is smoking bad for you? Yes

But lets break it down. A bowl of shisha has less nicotine then one cigarette. A cigerette smoker will smoke anywhere from 1 cig to 2 packs a day. We'll say the average is 8 cigs a day.

The average hookah smoker I would say smokes one bowl a day. Sometimes you smoke more then one, sometimes you don't smoke for a while. The less nicotene + less amount of smoking = not as bad as cigs.
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoking Hookah KoRnKitten Vendor Reviews 9 September 1st, 2014 01:23 AM
Is smoking hookah really smoking? Rafi18 Hookah Discussion 78 June 23rd, 2010 12:12 PM
Why is hookah so harmful, but so good? :S AbusiveNapkin Hookah Discussion 38 March 23rd, 2009 08:06 PM
smoking the hookah... hookaholic3639 Hookah Discussion 4 December 19th, 2008 02:13 AM
While smoking your hookah... hookah-D Hookah Discussion 15 November 18th, 2008 09:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.