Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

AF Hookah Question

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default AF Hookah Question

Im thinkin about pickin up that 36" heavy and I know about the stem size and vase problem thing. My question was... I have no problem calling in and asking for a smaller vase, but should I get the vase that comes with the 24" or 30" small/medium. I waited for a while per photos comment because of prices maybe going down. But, it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon. Also does ne1 know if they are going to fix this stem in the near future? I'd give AF a call right now, but I'm at work :/ Any takers?

Holler
-FusionX

Last edited by FusionX; April 6th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: AF Hookah Question

its not a problem as much as it is a design of syrian stems. instead of reaching to the bottom of the base they reach higher, you wont notice a difference smoking...

you can just get a peice of tube from home depot to make it longer if you want

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Hmmmm
is the 30" base same as the 36" ?
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

no, it isn't. honestly i would just go with the one it comes with. the water level being higher isn't something to worry about. also the larger vases have less imperfections as they are more easily handmade.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

while this thread is up, how big is the vase? on the 36" that is, like, if i wanted to throw that stem on another vase, how wide is the gauge where the stem fits in?
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0lic View Post
no, it isn't. honestly i would just go with the one it comes with. the water level being higher isn't something to worry about. also the larger vases have less imperfections as they are more easily handmade.
i beg to differ sir, the larger glass items get the harder it is to make exponentially. the imperfections are not noticed a much since they are over all smaller compared to the base, but they are sure not easier to make

-matt
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

looks like it, most all syrian stems do not reach as low as egyptian stems, it doesnt compromise functionality, it just means you fill the water higher

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

What are the problems with the AF hookah? I never read anything about a vase problem.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

There isnt a problem with the vase.

Some people would like to have the AF hookah without the af branding on the base though maybe...

The AF hookah like all syrian hookahs has a shorter downstem than its egyptian counterpart...this means you fill the water up higher...thats it...some see it as a problem for some reason, but it isnt, you wont get less smoke, you wont get cooler or warmer smoke...thats it

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

I've been smoking that rig all weekend, and have yet to have a water problem. I fill the base so it covers the last inch or so of the stem, and it smokes like a dream. You'll have no issues ordering it as is - make sure to mention you are an HP member though, and ask them about the bowl/hose upgrade

Last edited by photolinger; April 7th, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: wanted to fix a typo
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
I've been smoking that rig all weekend, and have yet to have a water problem. I fill the base so it covers the last inch or so of the stem, and it smokes like a dream. You'll have no issues ordering it as is - make sure to mention you are an HP member though, and ask them about the bowl/hose upgrade
I'm really interested in picking one of these up because I wanted to try out a Syrian (thanks Photolinger). Did you order online and leave something in the comments? And can you give more details on the upgrades?
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

It's a Syrian style stem, and the short downstem is just part of the the construction.

I still don't understand what the big deal is with it. Everyone just seems like a bunch of whiners to me... I have an older AF stem and the large AF base, the flavor is still there, the clouds are still fluffy.

Ohh, and in regards to price drop... 1 or 2 years ago when these were in stock, they had a sale right when a new stock came in. The smaller rig was 69.99 I think. The larger one was 89.99 I believe. Most of you weren't around to see that, but they might do it this time around? If they do I'm pickin up a small for sure.

Last edited by ZenSilk; April 7th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

i too have an older one with an even larger base...

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

I added an extension because I got tired of blowing water out of my hose.

That's how short the stem is on mine.

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

hmm, i didnt have that as a problem...although mine came w/ a diffuser that didnt really make it quieter...just longer.

Old April 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

ditto on the small rig. i have the medium already but my roommate wants the small.
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexyPanda View Post
I'm really interested in picking one of these up because I wanted to try out a Syrian (thanks Photolinger). Did you order online and leave something in the comments? And can you give more details on the upgrades?
actually, I ordered over the phone, but you can just as easily do it online and then send them an email with your name and last 4 digits of the card. My reccommendation would be to order wherever you are most comfortable, and if you do it online just call or email them first to get details about upgrades. That way you can just ask for the upgrade or flavor changes in the comments. When in doubt, just call, they are very helpful!
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
actually, I ordered over the phone, but you can just as easily do it online and then send them an email with your name and last 4 digits of the card. My reccommendation would be to order wherever you are most comfortable, and if you do it online just call or email them first to get details about upgrades. That way you can just ask for the upgrade or flavor changes in the comments. When in doubt, just call, they are very helpful!
All right, will do, thanks for the info.
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

cool beans

so now medium vs large lol and price isn't an issue
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

I already own a couple different hookahs of all shapes and sizes.

I was wondering if you would get the medium or large heavy brass?
Money isn't an issue, but in the long run I may be like damn I already have 5 36" hookahs.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

I was looking into the 30" heavy because photolinger was saying there shouldn't be any difference in terms of stem diameter, so it'd be nice to have an in between hookah that isn't so big you have to clean it in the tub and it's not so small you want a better smoke from a bigger one.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
giantninjarobot
Hookah Newbie

I just picked up the 36 inch locally for 85 bucks (no im not kidding) and first off it is a thing of beauty. VERY nice pipe, solid brass stem, the vase is really well made (no bubbles, very stable etc). I also have a KM Zahirah that was pretty much designed to go in a boho vase which has a shorter neck (by 2 inches) than the big egyptian one that it came with and I was concerned by the lack of stem depth untill I smoked it and realized that even with 2 inches taken off the intended depth it smokes just as well as my 36" amoura which has a longer downstem.

In fact I noticed right away that the AF stem hits in the same spot that the Zahirah does in the egyptian vase.

Haven't smoked the AF yet, but I'm sure it's fine and just like my zahirah makes no noticable negative impact on session quality. I don't understand what people are freaking out about.

As far as deciding between the two sizes....the 30" is beautiful but the 36 is MAJESTIC...for reals.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

I had this exact same debate right before i bought mine - seriously, here it is: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10750.

Anyway, the large is gorgeos - people walk in and are immediately floored by this thing. You will be happy with the medium, to be sure, but you will be in love with ever one of the large's 36 inches.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM
fatony612
Hookah Nut

i have the 36 inch and i enjoy the smoke out of it better than my km ..... i am thinking of buying a smaller one for pool side smoking in the summer
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook