Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Scalli Mod

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Default Scalli Mod

OK all you Samurais of the Shisha. I bought the Scalli Mod for the funnel and it works awesome.

What I need to know is what those of you who have the mod are using to clean of the resin left on the glass?

I tried vinegar and extremely hot water, but it is like glue on the thing.

[font=Verdana]Suggestions?[/font]
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Scalli Mod

Microwave Lemon juice - soak it in the juice until cooled. Then soak in Baking soda/water mixture and then SCRUB. It should come right off.

Heard that boiling it for 5-10 mins also helps.
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

boiling sometimes helps, but it doesnt remove all the black gunk. Using a stainless steel brush for a while tends to remove a lot of it though.
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I've heard that the boiling works. Clean it after every use. That is what I do, and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with my current glass mod. I usually rub a little "spit" on it first or a very small drop of olive oil, shhhh don't tell my friends!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
I've heard that the boiling works. Clean it after every use. That is what I do, and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with my current glass mod. I usually rub a little "spit" on it first or a very small drop of olive oil, shhhh don't tell my friends!
Ha Ha Ha he "spits" on his scalli mod.....Thats classic, I love it!
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

lol, shhhhhh don't tell anybody! They won't want to smoke hookah with me!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I've been told before to try the boiling idea... but I'm way too lazy to do it ... my scalli mod is completely charred black all over, I've got a crap load of black (burnt shisha) residue over the whole thing... but I've noticed that it doesn't affect the flavor at all, so I guess this is the reason why I've never tried cleaning it, because as long as it doesn't affect the session, I don't really care if its charred black or not... so I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if it's stained or charred black you problaby have nothing to worry about except maybe it looking a little dirty...
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster
I've been told before to try the boiling idea... but I'm way too lazy to do it ... my scalli mod is completely charred black all over, I've got a crap load of black (burnt shisha) residue over the whole thing... but I've noticed that it doesn't affect the flavor at all, so I guess this is the reason why I've never tried cleaning it, because as long as it doesn't affect the session, I don't really care if its charred black or not... so I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if it's stained or charred black you problaby have nothing to worry about except maybe it looking a little dirty...
Okay, that's what I am leaning towards. I am not gonna take hours trying to get off all this residue off the thing. I have not noticed a flavor difference either, so I am just gonna go at it with it looking like hell.

Tried boiling - didnt work
Tried lemon Juice - didn't work.

Its baked on...

Thanks for all the responses.
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:33 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

the most affective way is scratching/scraping it off. Nothing else will clean the black residue
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:08 AM
hookahpimp
Hookah Nut

ok i dont wanna go off topic and all but what is the big deal with these scali mods? for all these years we have smoked hookah with normal bowls that the smoke travels down, now we are finaly moving up and improving the hookah.... but why would you want to get the smoke from the bottome of the bowl.... i just dont get it....

Old October 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahpimp
ok i dont wanna go off topic and all but what is the big deal with these scali mods? for all these years we have smoked hookah with normal bowls that the smoke travels down, now we are finaly moving up and improving the hookah.... but why would you want to get the smoke from the bottome of the bowl.... i just dont get it....

I do not think that is how it works. The coals are still atop the bowl as always. The draw pulls the heat through the Shisha and into the juices that collect in the gutter of the funnel. The mod allows the smoke to travel freely into the bowl, no hampered by hole plugging etc...

The mod allows the smoke collected (the same as always) to be unobstructed as it travels down the stem and into the water.

The mod greatly enhances or better said, allow the full flavor of the shisha to be enjoyed.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Back on topic ... I would say if you really want to get the black burnt on stuff off, you could always use an X-ACTO knife. And scrape it off ...

Cheers!

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Back on topic ... I would say if you really want to get the black burnt on stuff off, you could always use an X-ACTO knife. And scrape it off ...

Cheers!
Again, not worth all that effort. As long as flavor is not compromised, I am okay with it covered in resin.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Maybe on wouldnt matter on the scalli mod but when the residue sticks on the bowl itself, the bowl needs more coal to heat up and the heating is not so even

Cheers
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn
Quote:

Cheers!
Trust me.....you dont wanna leave the burnt residue on there! It will make your smoke taste nasty after a bit, do yourself a favor and keep it clean....I speak from experience.

Again, not worth all that effort. As long as flavor is not compromised, I am okay with it covered in resin.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

try brillo pad or or buy a pistol cleaning kit... i use a pistol cleaning kit to scrub my mya, and i use one of the spare tips to scrub my funnel off, and when i get a glass/metal mod i will probobly use it to clean that too...
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
PerznPerversion
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to PerznPerversion

i only use the scalli mod to save shisha. other than that i think its the placebo effect on the head. tangiers also agrees that its a waste of money :-P
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbpredator
try brillo pad or or buy a pistol cleaning kit... i use a pistol cleaning kit to scrub my mya, and i use one of the spare tips to scrub my funnel off, and when i get a glass/metal mod i will probobly use it to clean that too...
I also use my pistol leaning kit to clean out my Mya. Never thought about using the brass brush, I will give that a try.

As for the other poster stating "it's all in the head," I don't really think so, With the mod in place, I have definitely noticed an improvement in the flavor of the Shisha.
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

its been two people who have said it, it is all in your mind.

Quote:
Quote:

I do not think that is how it works. The coals are still atop the bowl as always. The draw pulls the heat through the Shisha and into the juices that collect in the gutter of the funnel. The mod allows the smoke to travel freely into the bowl, no hampered by hole plugging etc...

The mod allows the smoke collected (the same as always) to be unobstructed as it travels down the stem and into the water.
look at how airflow is through the bowl with a scalli mod on. you are getting smoke from lower in the bowl because the mod does not allow smoke to come from the top. how can it be more freely, you have something covering the hole which all air goes through and forcing it through tobacco, its more obstructed. if people say that your draws get stopped by foil going over the middle hole thats why you should put a small hole over the middle of the funnel so it does not allow the foil to be drawn down. if its covering the holes at the bottom your drawing from the hookah over and over through the session will stop any hole plugging. think about it the same bowls have been used for centuries so there is something going on which is right.

the mod is a gimmick and its all in your mind people. if i was to sell you a piece of foil which i drew a smiley face on with a sharpie and had 40 other people say it improved smoke and flavor entirely so you bought it and tried it chances are you would say the exact same thing because you where told that its what it did. Eric (tangiers) the bowl designer even said he cant see how a scalli mod works to help smoke at all, it does not make any sense to him and keep in mind eric is a very smart guy.

they need to rename the scalli mod for what it really is, tobacco saver.

if people want to get it off you can try what we do on pots which are really baked on in this house. go to the grocery store and i dont know the name of them but they are like little green tomatoes with a wrapping on them and smell nasty. throw them into a *** and start your boiling. on the
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

BoomHauer:

I have to say I am so glad with our ability to have our own opinions. Quite a lengthy tirade to make the point that you just don't think it makes a difference. I just disagree with you....

Rock On Hookah Dude!
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

I'm sure all of that works well.
I would have thought to use denture cleaner actually. You'd be amazed with what they stuff can get out andor off something lol.
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn
BoomHauer:

I have to say I am so glad with our ability to have our own opinions. Quite a lengthy tirade to make the point that you just don't think it makes a difference. I just disagree with you....

Rock On Hookah Dude!
Don't worry CJ, I totally agree with you...the mod DOES make a difference, and not only that but it also prevents your coals from sagging down towards the center of the bowl constantly...I got so pissed the other day when I tried smoking out of the bowl without the mod because every 2 minutes I had to keep on spreading out the coals from the center ... with the mod in place, this would never happen...

But anyway back on topic: I have a news update!!! The other day I was bored, so I started thinking about the whole cleaning the mod thing, and low and behold, the perfect idea clicked in my head... I was looking around the kithcen and found EASY OFF! This thing worked magic ! And no shit, it's actually used for taking off baked on grease or food from the inside of ovens (light bulb!)...

So I soaked the mod in this EASY OFF foam for a whole hour and it literally took off most of the charred on black stuff that was impossible to scrape off! I'm pretty sure if I would've left it there for the whole 2 hours (according to instructions), it would've completely taken off all the residue... but since I took it out an hour early, I ended up having to scrape off the excess with a sharp blade...but if it's to much of a hassle, I'd say don't waste your time... becasue even after now that my mod is crystal clear again, I haven't noticed any difference in flavor or performance... So it was just something to do for fun I guess
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Everyone will have their opinion, but I just stand behind what I taste. So if it works for me cool....if it doesn't work for someone else..also cool. Just not sure why thy guy needs to go off on a tirade and get psychological about it.

Thanks for the suggestion with Easy off....I may try that!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook