Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do you do more then one coal at once?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
suspect136
Hookah Newbie

Default How do you do more then one coal at once?

Unfortunetly I only have quicklights at the moment, but I aways try to put two coals on top for big smoke and way two harsh after ten minutes. Packed the shisha every which way doesn't work. Granted it may be due to my cheap 18" chinese hookah. But I am getting KM Mash'al in two weeks will that change everything for me?
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

Default Re: How do you do more then one coal at once?

okay what kind of foil/bowl are you useing and what brand of shisha
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM
madhatter340
Hookah Newbie

Looking down at the top of the bowl, imagine it divided into four quadrants. I usually put the two coals at opposite ends of the bowl (in opposing quadrants). After about 10-15 minutes I ash the coals and then put them on the bowl opposite each other again, but this time in the other two quadrants. Then I usually just leave them there and ash every once in a while.

Are you using a wind cover at all?

Have you tried using two layers of foil? I've won some heat management battles this way.

^^ Also, as dreamender said, what kind of bowl are you using?
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Lickenwing
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Lickenwing Send a message via MSN to Lickenwing Send a message via Yahoo to Lickenwing

I'm having the same problem but for me its like 1 coal is too little heat and when i put 2 it burns the shisha fast and tastes harsh. I'm a noobie and im not sure how to use a windcover and i dont have one. I believe i have a 24" Chinese hookah and im using the bowl it came with and well as the hose.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

most quicklights only require one in the middle from my experience, unless its like CH QL then its a different story.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84

for the QL coals i use the larger 40mm ones, and i only use one at a time...this goes for any bowl style (clay, porcelin, glass, phunnel, etc...)

once the coal is lit i put it on the edge of the bowl anywhere, doesnt really matter where you start.* after getting the first puffs of smoke out of it (after around a minute or two) i move the coal directly opposite where it started and leave it there for around 10 mins, then just ash it and push it around the top of the bowl until it's dead and then start another one.

the reason i swap sides at the start after a minute is to heat up the rest of the bowl that has had no heat on it yet, once the whole bowl is warm it tends to stay warm as long as there is a coal somewhere touching the edge.

with the smaller QL coals, one seems to not give enough heat, but two sem to be a bit too much, especially if you have a smaller bowl. *if you use one full small QL and a half of another i've found that seems to work pretty well using the same method as above...or if you have a large (wide) bowl, use two small QL's and keep them 1/3 hanging off the edge of the bowl and that works well too.

for the squares or CH coals i use 2 or 3 and keep them evenly spaced apart (like a triforce ) and then rotate as needed.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:59 AM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

Haha unfortunately just because you get a nice hookah doesn't mean it's gonna keep the tobacco from burning. Try being more patient with the heat and smoke and let it heat up slower.

Does one QL not give you enough heat? If you use two, try pushing them over the sides a little bit, to where they're not directly over the bowl, at least after it heats up and you've got it smoking well.
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

let it heat slowly, break coals in half if you must. for a funnel, i break 40mm in half and use three halfs around the boal - works great for SB, but is too much heat for other brands, so I'll cut down to two halfs.
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:49 AM
hardestway
Hookah Newbie

Sometimes I use 2 quicklights for Nahkla to get a better buzz and a little more smoke. You just need to place them on the corners and then slowly go to the middle.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

lol i dont get how this happens i use up to 4 coals per seshion and dont butn it lol maby im just that good lmao or it could be the vortex meh who knows
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
hardestway
Hookah Newbie

Well, one can overpack the bowl and put a coal in the middle. That should be enough to burn the shisha.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
CyBeN
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to CyBeN

I suppose you are using 33mm coals. If so, i suggest you to try putting 3 halfs on your bowl.
Another way that could might possibly solve your problem is putting 2 or 4 layers of foil.
At first when I couldn't set up a bowl properly, I put a piece of foil formed into a like 2 mm high ring on the foil (putting it between the tobacco and the foil also seems to work) so the coal didn't touch the foil and the tobacco directly.
Remember to leave some space between the tobacco and the foil because it can cause it to burn faster.

Manageing the correct number and position of the coals seems to be a bit hard at the beginning, but you will eventually find it out yourself and everything will go automatically.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

yep i suppose that would do the job
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
hardestway
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBeN View Post
(putting it between the tobacco and the foil also seems to work)
Seems to help getting more flavor form a normal bowl. Then I tried it (with wind screen) it prolonged the time of the smoking session.

Putting it inside helps to transfer the heat form coal to the tabacco more evenly and burns all of the tabacco. Which sometimes you don't get from 1 quicklight coal.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
suspect136
Hookah Newbie

I am using 3 kings, Alcan foil (pretty high end foil), and egyptian bowl (dont own phunnel yet). How should the foil be poked I usually poke it everywhere. And no windcover but I am smoking inside.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
suspect136
Hookah Newbie

And AF tobacco
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
hardestway
Hookah Newbie

I don't know how it's with AF as I haven't smoked it. But with Nahkla you don't really need any care. Just load, add coal and you are good to go.

Windcover can be used inside the house too. It helps to get more heat from a coal.

You should just add the coals on the corners of the bowl, so that a half of the coal would be outside of the bowl.

Anyway, found some videos on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VcAZvWdfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJk7ghuxh7o
(Yeah, I know it's not AF tabacco)

Last edited by hardestway; April 15th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I use 2-3 coconaras on an egyptian/clay bowl with no problems with Nakhla.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
likespaceships
Hookah Nut

Break one coal in half and place it on opposite sides of the bowl. If that isn't enough heat then throw a wind cover on it. Sounds like you are just burning it in hopes of bigger clouds.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Flavor first, then clouds will come in time.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

i agree with likespaceships, break your coal and put a half on each side of the bowl, and put that wind cover on top. maybe add another half coal if the smoke isnt very thick after about 10 minutes.

typically when one coal is just barely not enough and two is way too much heat, another half coal is all you need. just make sure your foil doesn't touch the tobacco and that you just sprinkle the tobacco in and pat it down lightly and you should have a good smoke sesh every time
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
ziggypopula123
Hookah Newbie

yes it could be your hookah i dont get that problem....
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:58 PM
hardestway
Hookah Newbie

It shouldn't be his hookah. I get harsh smoke time from time too. Everyone should get it time from time.

Just do like others say. Break one in a half and put it together with one full coal. But I believe if you add a coal only on the edge of the bowl it shouldn't burn the tabacoo.
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

I second (third now maybe?) splitting the quick lights and putting them on opposite sides of the bowl. It tends to give me way better heat distribution, although they do tend to burn through quicker than just a solid single disc. If this doesn't help enough, add a third half disc to the bowl, space them all out evenly. Also, make sure you pack the bowl really loosely, and a good amount of holes in the foil, in my opinion, more airflow=better. The two half disc coals should be enough for bigger smoke, be careful with adding a third. Hope this helps!
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
suspect136
Hookah Newbie

Yea I tried the two halves not too long ago today. Worked out much better then a regular coal on top. Then added third half and even bigger smoke without harshness. Worked Great.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook