Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel problems...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Default Phunnel problems...

So I've smoked several times from my medium phunnel and I just can't get a "perfect" smoke out of it. I've used the mod a few times but heat management becomes an issue for some reason, and the smoke quickly goes harsh. I got the biggest clouds out of it when I didn't use a Scalli mod, but the pull was stupid hard, even after using the binder clips mod. Then, when I raised the clips ever so slightly to increase airflow, all I got was nasty unflavored smoke because the tobacco wasn't cooking. What am I doing wrong?
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
cmkws6
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Phunnel problems...

What kind of coals are you using? QL, nats, windcover? Where do you live in Lawrence? I'm about 19th and Iowa.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Exotica Easy Lites. When I use the Scalli mod, two coals gets no smoke at all, three makes it harsh. And I just can't get the combination of easy pull and nice clouds without the mod...

I'm in Oliver Hall actually. I'm living off of Clinton next year.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

the phunnel took me a while to get working right and then i stopped using it for a good while, i now use it some times but pretty much only with tangiers

first things first, make sure your mixing your tobacco well before packing it.

if the pull is hard and the foil is tight then you got a bad one (the inner hole should be about 1/8" or a touch less from the top. you may be able to get away with putting a hole in the foil over the hole so it doesnt pull down. still make sure that you have a decent gap below the foil, honestly you can smoke with a huge gap (i have smoked it half full before with minimal difference in flavor and smoke and part of it was that it was tangiers which is weird about the distance to the heat)

as to the heat the phunnel takes a while to warm up, if you cannot get it to give you much smoke, put the extra coal on until it warms up (move them frequently while warming, every 2-4 mins) once it gets warm (just before it gets harsh) drop the extra coal. if that doesnt work try other tobacco and/or try other coals. you can pack the phunnel bowl tighter than a normal bowl and honestly i usually do (but i dont pack tangiers as tight as people say to)

honestly the scalli mod i think was a waste of my money, i will probably give it another shot though.

-matt
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I used to have the same problems with my phunnel. Here is what I've done and it works perfectly:

- Don't sprinkle your tobacco, just take it as it is and pack the bowl.
- I make three circles of many tiny holes (no hole in the middle)
- I use 3 CH naturals
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do in my next session.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

I don't know what the clip mod is but what I did is I made a bird shape out of aluminum foil and let it sit over the hole. Hard to explain but I'll probably make a post about it sometime. It raises the foil from the hole and the tobacco, making the pull as easy as with any other bowl. If that's the same thing as the clips mod then just ignore.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Actually I know exactly what you're talking about. You mean that you just fold the foil in such a way that it keeps the foil suspended. The clip mod I'm referring to is from this thread:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ht=phunnel+mod

Same concept, different execution.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Jemmay
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Jemmay Send a message via MSN to Jemmay Send a message via Yahoo to Jemmay Send a message via Skype™ to Jemmay

I had problems with my phunnel for awhile until i worked out a technique. I use a homemade scalli mod (remade every few bowls as it does get a little dirty) made by wrapping a thick square of aluminum foil over a water bottle cap. It takes a little practice to get the airflow right with the mod, so don't get discouraged. With the mod in place sprinkle your shisha around loosely as you would with an egyptian bowl, test the airflow by sucking the bottom, and foil it. As for the holes in the foil, most people would recommend concentric circles, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Instead i use a hole pattern like the one below: (forgive the poor artistic skills-i threw it together in about 30 seconds)

Moving coals and adding/removing a windcover makes heat management fairly simple. Hope i could be of assistance.

Edit: i usually use 2 CH instant lights.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

If you were getting smoke that means that the tobacco was cooking. What tobacco are you using?

Regarding the mod, ya sometimes they conduct too much heat and will cause a problem. It burn the tobacco that is just touching the mod and causes harsh smoke.

It's odd that you are getting a tight draw with the foil suspended. Are you sure you are poking enough holes and that the airflow is not obstructed in any way?
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

as to the hole patterns, it doesnt matter, eric at tangiers holed half of a phunnel and left the other half covered, only difference was that the unholed side didnt have ash on it

-matt
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

The two brands I've used with the phunnel are Starbuzz and Fantasia because they are very juicy tobaccos.

@ kalutika: Sometimes I get a tiny bit of smoke (less than drawing on a cigarette) that tastes nothing like tobacco. That occurs when I have the foil tight and I get an easy draw. When the foil is slightly looser and I have a tighter draw, it seems like the heat roasts the tobacco better but it takes so much effort to get anything out of it.

I didn't get a chance to smoke today, but I'm smoking tomorrow night at a friend's house so we'll see how it goes.
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNibbles View Post
The two brands I've used with the phunnel are Starbuzz and Fantasia because they are very juicy tobaccos.

@ kalutika: Sometimes I get a tiny bit of smoke (less than drawing on a cigarette) that tastes nothing like tobacco. That occurs when I have the foil tight and I get an easy draw. When the foil is slightly looser and I have a tighter draw, it seems like the heat roasts the tobacco better but it takes so much effort to get anything out of it.

I didn't get a chance to smoke today, but I'm smoking tomorrow night at a friend's house so we'll see how it goes.

Then you are probably under packing the bowl. Because the heat is not being drawn directly through the tobacco it needs to be pretty close together. It's a medium funnel bowl so it takes a lot to pack the damn thing.
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNibbles View Post
Actually I know exactly what you're talking about. You mean that you just fold the foil in such a way that it keeps the foil suspended. The clip mod I'm referring to is from this thread:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ht=phunnel+mod

Same concept, different execution.
Yep, that's pretty much it. I made it after I packed a bowl with the foil too loose on top and it got sucked into the hole and I raged like FFFFFUUUU-
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Then you are probably under packing the bowl. Because the heat is not being drawn directly through the tobacco it needs to be pretty close together. It's a medium funnel bowl so it takes a lot to pack the damn thing.
i have been able to pack a tangiers bowl half way up and it smokes fine, under packing doesnt change much, i think its to little heat in that case

-matt
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
kingboyb
Banned

I say get rid of the scalli mod.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Last time I packed my bowl a little more, I burned it because of the tobacco's proximity to the coals and the foil. Maybe I'm just dumb.

So things to try tonight:
1. Pack tighter.
2. Pull foil as tight as I possibly can.
3. Manage heat carefully.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

What kind of foil are you using? Is it heavy duty foil? If not this could explain a lot.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Ok, so I probably had the best session I've ever had last night. I brought my hookah to a friend's house for a party last night, set the rig up around 10:15, and the smoke only started dying out around 12:30. Yes, two hours of constant smoking later, the smoke was just as tasty, cool, and the clouds were just as big as when we first started.

Stuff I did differently this time:
1. Packed it tighter.
2. HD foil pulled tight.
3. Two concentric rings of tiny holes.
4. More careful heat management. I used three coals to get it started, and people were smoking it so often that I had to add a new coal every twenty minutes to half hour or so. I don't have a windcover tall enough to cover the phunnel so I had to go through quite a few more coals. Oh well.

This is pretty indicative of the night:

Thanks for the help guys!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook