Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

KM Hammer Tongs....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Default Re: KM Hammer Tongs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post

HAMMER TONGS!
You can't touch Dis!
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM
mitchard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
Am i rhe only one that is skeptical about these being made by KM?
They came in the container HC just got from Egypt. I am assuming they bought them from KM. Like the vases, I am sure KM markets it as theirs as a mass distributor.

I HATE flat tongs like this. They neet to have better grip. Those flat mya tongs (the ones similar in style to these) are horrible.

I like the idea of the hammer, but it nothing like I pictured them when they were originally mentioned.
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchard View Post
They came in the container HC just got from Egypt. I am assuming they bought them from KM. Like the vases, I am sure KM markets it as theirs as a mass distributor.

I HATE flat tongs like this. They neet to have better grip. Those flat mya tongs (the ones similar in style to these) are horrible.

I like the idea of the hammer, but it nothing like I pictured them when they were originally mentioned.
i honestly do not get why people have issues with the mya tongs, they are awesome and i have not had any more problems dropping coals with them than with any other tongs, i did bend them just slightly in at the tips so that might have helped but they are great tongs
-matt
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Let me enlighten everyone .... here the use of bulk coals is dominant. They come in irregular shapes, large chunks .......etc.

They are very useful. I light the chunks of coals, with one or two taps of the tongs, I can break them into "pebbles" or little usable pieces.

I don't think they are useful to anyone who uses "cubes" of coal ......
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i honestly do not get why people have issues with the mya tongs, they are awesome and i have not had any more problems dropping coals with them than with any other tongs, i did bend them just slightly in at the tips so that might have helped but they are great tongs
-matt
The point being many people don't want to do extra work to make something they paid for usable however minor the work may be.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
The point being many people don't want to do extra work to make something they paid for usable however minor the work may be.
well idk maybe its because my degree is nothing but hands on (metal working and glass blowing) or because i always tinker/modify/adjust almost anything i buy but i dont see bending tongs a bit to be any of a reason that they are bad, every pair of tongs i have seen needed to be bent some how when it came and every pair of tongs after use needs to be rebent any way. frankly if people see that as work then i dont understand how they have the patience to even pack a hookah

-matt
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
well idk maybe its because my degree is nothing but hands on (metal working and glass blowing) or because i always tinker/modify/adjust almost anything i buy but i dont see bending tongs a bit to be any of a reason that they are bad, every pair of tongs i have seen needed to be bent some how when it came and every pair of tongs after use needs to be rebent any way. frankly if people see that as work then i dont understand how they have the patience to even pack a hookah

-matt
+1 !
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:

-matt
Apparently you missed the point of my post. Some people don't like doing extra work. They don't care that it is minor. That being said the best pair of tongs I had required no modification. I don't like mya tongs because I have other pairs that worked better out of the box than mya tongs do modified. My complaint is why put out a product of any kind that requires extra time and even minor effort to make it usable? You call the users lazy. What about the company that thinks making tongs just mean punching them out of sheet metal and bending them in half?

And don't dare to call me lazy. I work harder and do more in regards to fabrication and handmade projects in the course of a day than most do in a month. I make my own mead, wine, beer, clothes, costumes, props, masks knives and everything else I can learn how to make witht he limited work space i have.
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

I dunno about these they seem a bit much. Its kinda like the swiss army knife of hookah.
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Apparently you missed the point of my post. Some people don't like doing extra work. They don't care that it is minor. That being said the best pair of tongs I had required no modification. I don't like mya tongs because I have other pairs that worked better out of the box than mya tongs do modified. My complaint is why put out a product of any kind that requires extra time and even minor effort to make it usable? You call the users lazy. What about the company that thinks making tongs just mean punching them out of sheet metal and bending them in half?

And don't dare to call me lazy. I work harder and do more in regards to fabrication and handmade projects in the course of a day than most do in a month. I make my own mead, wine, beer, clothes, costumes, props, masks knives and everything else I can learn how to make witht he limited work space i have.
honestly i dont get how its something that would turn some one off. and what im trying to say is that if they think slightly forming the tongs which takes all of 15 seconds while you are waiting for your coals to light is to much work than they probably think packing a bowl is too much work. the mya tongs i didnt really see any problems with before i bent them i just did it so it ha more surface contact so i wouldnt have to worry about any issues.

as to a company being lazy, they would either need a new tool/machine to bend them that way to mass produce them or pay some one to sit there and do it, why would they do that when most people dont have an issue with the product. thats capitalism at its best, not making a product as best as they can, making a product as cheaply and quickly as allows to keep it acceptable to the customer.

-matt
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I just use a pair of cheapo bbq tongs, just for hookah use.

I bent the end of it so it grips a cube perfectly.
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
honestly i dont get how its something that would turn some one off. and what im trying to say is that if they think slightly forming the tongs which takes all of 15 seconds while you are waiting for your coals to light is to much work than they probably think packing a bowl is too much work. the mya tongs i didnt really see any problems with before i bent them i just did it so it ha more surface contact so i wouldnt have to worry about any issues.

as to a company being lazy, they would either need a new tool/machine to bend them that way to mass produce them or pay some one to sit there and do it, why would they do that when most people dont have an issue with the product. thats capitalism at its best, not making a product as best as they can, making a product as cheaply and quickly as allows to keep it acceptable to the customer.

-matt

Now I am confused. Are you saying that you have no issue with the idea of a product that is incomplete upon purchase or are you saying you dislike the idea of a company putting out such a product? At this point you have said both.

Second note. If you are happy having to modify your tools so they work like they are supposed to that's fine. But don't insult people for expecting a product to work the way it should and then calling them lazy because they don't want to spend the effort rather than just grab another set of tongs.
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Now I am confused. Are you saying that you have no issue with the idea of a product that is incomplete upon purchase or are you saying you dislike the idea of a company putting out such a product? At this point you have said both.

Second note. If you are happy having to modify your tools so they work like they are supposed to that's fine. But don't insult people for expecting a product to work the way it should and then calling them lazy because they don't want to spend the effort rather than just grab another set of tongs.
see in my field you cannot just buy a tool most of the time, you usually have to make it or modify it because either a) it is not cost effective to buy a tool for 20 bucks when it can be made for 2 with 15 mins of your time or b) personal preferences are so varied that to make tools to fit everyones tastes you would be buying one off custom tools that would cost way to much. so modifying tools doesnt seem like a negative to me since i have to do it all the time.

depending on the item i usually dont care if i have to tweak it because most of the tweaking comes down to personal preference, and for other things i would rather not have to pay more to have something adjusted for something when i might have to adjust it later any way ( if you use exoticas you tongs will need to be bent in less than if you use coco style coals to grab them flat because of their size/shape. you cannot say "o these tones need to be bent X inches from the end at y degrees to grab a coal properly" because it will not work for every one still and people will still complain that the tongs dont grab correctly

and frankly i really think it shows the modern mentality that people would rather just be able to buy something else that is close to what they need instead of using their brain to adjust something to be perfect for their application.

guys that off road their vehicles dont go out and buy a vehicle that does what they want from the factory because there is no point for the factory to produce that when every one will change it at a lower over all price to the consumer any way, same idea here it is not cost effective to adjust the manufacturing process

if you can find a tong that off the shelf works than fine but every set of tongs i have bought and every set of tongs i will buy i will adjust.

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook