Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Mya Diva?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

Default Mya Diva?

Hi. I'm a super newbie to hookahs and stuff, but I am interested in purchasing my own hookah after smoking my friend's a lot.

I was searching around different websites for hookahs and I was wondering if the Mya Diva (16 inch) would be a good hookah to start with? I understand that it is a smaller hookah and it is harder to get a good smoking session with one, but do you think that it is worth $80 from hookah-shisha.com? It seems like a good price for something to start with, considering you get all of that extra stuff. I was also thinking about the Mya Vortex from hookah-shisha, but that is $50 more. Being in college I'm looking for a decent smoke for the price. What would you recommend? It doesn't necessarily need to be between these two either. Thanks for the help!
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Mya Diva?

First of all welcome to the forum 

how much are you willing to spend? If your somewhere on  60-70 i'd recommend a good egyptian like  https://www.pimpyourhookah.com/index...mart&Itemid=26
khalil mamoon ise one of the top branded traditional hookahs. these hookaha are the best Bang for the back and will probably outperform the 130+ mya's

If you are willing to spend more that 100-110 go for a syrian. LIke http://jandrhookahs.com/29-syrian-1-...stem-p-49.html or http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1715
Syrians are known for their high quality and durability and even more for their smootheness in smoke and overal performance. They are a bit more expensive but totally worth it.
paying 80$ for a 16" mya is outrageous IMO and i dont know why ppl make such a fuss about myas

I personally prefer traditional hookahs and i believe nothing can surpass traditional rigs!

Cheers
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Mya's are good hookah's however i wouldnt go with a smaller hookah, i bought a smaller hookah for my first hookah and with in a couple months was buying a new one, i know how it is being excited about getting your first hookah however be safe about your decision and dont purchase anything too quickly there are a few things to think about...

1. Whats your location?

You might wanna patronage a vendor thats located neer you

2.Vendor

Pick a vendor that will have a wide variety of items so you may be able to purchase everything from one vendor... save on shipping costs

Pick a vendor with good customer service skills, and you will be a happy camper

3.hookah

think about type and size hookah you want

many will reccomend different pipes ( if you feel you like one, read some reviews about it find out everything about that pipe then forumulate a decision and purchase wisely )

4. mods
i will go ahead and reccomend a funnel bowl and mod since most everyone will reccomend the same, its very well at preserving tobacco for longer smokes, and also it keeps juices from running down your pipe and making it all nasty.

I know how hard it is to save up money while in college since i am as well, i recently purchased a magdy zidan hookah from pimpyourhookah.com its 26" and it should be arriving today from what i hear its a quality hookah and sitting at 40$ for a pricetag might be something good to look at, pimpyourhookah.com also has funnel bowls and a wide variety of shisha's

however if you are looking for the best customer service i would reccomend nazarhookah.com he has quite a selection including nammor hoses which are quite nice and also he sells a few types of shisha's and from what i hear he should be getting funnels in soon. so peek around there too..

hope this helped some if you have any questions just ask em we wont bite

Old October 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

although MYA's are nice rigs, for alot less you can still get an excellant rig and have left over $$ for other things like the others stated:

a phunnel and mod
nammor hose
shisha & coals

I myself would lean you toward a good Eygptian or Syrain. Both will produce a quaility smoke, be long lasting, and serve you well.

I do have a question: is there a reason you where looking for such a small hookah? Is it becasue you need portability, living in a dorm, ect? If that's the case, some Syrains do come apart or a smaller 22"-26" Eypgtain wouldn't take up more space than the two MYA's you are looking at.

The other's have already listed off several decent upstanding vendors to browse: Nazarhookah & J & R Hookah, plus there are several other vendors around as well (Pirate Hookah, Hookah Life, and many more).

As much as you'll not want to hear this, take your time, browse and compair, read reviews and price compairsions. Although you may not realize it now, you're taking a HUGE step into the world of hookah - spending the extra time upfront to find a long lasting, quaility rig will save both heartache & money in the long term.

By the way - Welcome to the Board!

(edited becasue I can't speel to save my lief)
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Yeah, take your time so you arent disappointed. Ask the vendor questions, they are usually very knowledgeable about the products they offer and if you let them know what you are looking for in a hookah they can probably steer you in the right direction and offer you a choice between a couple that will fit your needs, then its up to you for the personal style aspect. As was already stated, there are 4 or 5 vendors that frequent this board and all have great products and can offer great customer service. Dont be afraid to ask for personal opinions on this board if you run across some hookahs that you are interested in. Good Luck in your search!
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

Thanks guys for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Usually people flame the newbies but all of you are so nice .

Anyway, I was looking for a small hookah originally because I living a small dorm and wanted something small. However, after some thoughtful consideration and with all of you helping me, it now looks like I'm leaning more towards something larger and in $100 to $150 range. It looks like I'll have to save up a little longer, but I think it will be well worth it.

That blue Syrian that you posted is beautiful ShishaHolic. I would love something like that in my room. I need more suggestions like that haha. But it doesn't look like it comes with a hard case and I definitely would need one. If you could keep making suggestions, I would really appreciate that too. I need something that would be high quality, durable, and easy to clean and maintain.

And since I am new, I don't know what a funnel bowl is. Can you shed some light on this please. Thanks.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

Also, what are your opinions are Stargate hookahs? They look pretty cool and futuristic, but I know that doesn't relate to the quality.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

Your in college so you are probably looking for something small for either the dorm or since you move around a lot.

I have a MYA Diva and its a really great hookah. The base is very tip-resistent and the glass, at least on mine, is very high quality. I have had 0 issues with getting it to smoke right. The bowl on it is crap, but everything else is solid.

When I was in college though, I threw a lot of parties, and I know the MYA Diva would have been broken in a party session. I had a 32" all-steel rotator hookah (no glass). That thing was a beast, great for sharing at a party. It had a copper interior stem though, which eventually rusted through, which was the end of that hookah (after about 1.5 years of heavy use).

If you are looking for something small and durable, the HoboHookah is the best party hookah on the market (http://www.hobohookah.com). Of course thats my product, but check the reviews on it in the review section, it may be what you are looking for.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

I'd personally start off with a 26" Egyptian for $25 at www.jandrhookahs.com.

http://jandrhookahs.com/22-ultimate-...kage-p-55.html would be ideal for you, as it starts you off with everything. Don't worry about not having a hard case included, you can pick up a cheap box off any vendor for about $10-20, OR get a storage container in target for it.

If you're dead set on spending $100-$150, I just got in the gold & clear syrian from JandR, and it's fan-fucking-tastic, but it's up to you to spend that much money.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

I'm trying to understand how your invention works hobohookah. How do you get an airtight seal on top of any bottle? And is that hose washable? I'm just interested in how it works.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

Its a flexible rubber grommet. It can expand to fit anything from 1.25in to 1.5in in diameter, which accommodates most bottles. The grommet is also tappered, so it can fit inside larger openings. It was designed to fit as many bottles as possible.

The seal is airtight, as the rubber contracts around the mouth. The hose is washable as well (its a MYA style hose).
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Like others have suggested, if your budget is $80, I would go with a traditional egyptian... You just can't go wrong with a quality egyptian. They're solid durable pieces that smoke really well... check out http://stores.ebay.com/Caravansarai-Imports they carry all kinds of different egyptian hookahs for dirt cheap prices... I bought my first 33 inch egyptian hookah (red isis) from them, and it was an awesome hookah to start off with. And it was only 70 bucks shipped! If you're interested in a detailed review of mine, check out the review section "33 inch Red Isis". I've also had a couple of friends who have purchased their smaller offerings, and they have no complaints, they love the way they perform...
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

If you want something that could fit in a hardcase that syrial might be a bit big (although you can find a hard case, it wont be easy to transport. There are some height adjastable syrians but i dont have the time to search for them now.
The one i remember was a 30" that had a stem that splited in 3 parts, where you could remove the middle part and it became a nice 24" or 22" i dont remember for sure. i look around for those and post up a link.
most vendors also give you some samples of shisha to start with so the only additional cost should be coals + any mods you want(funnel, nammor hoses, etc) but i think they are not a priority.
Other than that i recomment starting with 50g shisha boxed (Samples) and only order tubs of the ones you like. I guess you looked arround the forum. The review section is very usefull, read through the review and decide.

Cheers
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

As far as the "other stuff" goes, I HIGHLY recommend a funnel, I just got mine in the other day and it blows regular bowls out of the water. I'd also recommend a nammor hose. #1, it's HUGE, very easy to smoke out of, and it's totally washable, so it stays clean.

A bunch of places have 50g sampler packages on sale, go for Al Fahker (grape for certain) and Layalina (love their blueberry) to start, Al Waha After-Nine and Bounty are good starts too.

OH, and a good hookah for you is on Al Fahker's site, the 26" egyptian. It's $80, and drop dead gorgeous.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

I looked at that store that HookahMaster copied, and I found this stuff. What are your opinions on these hookahs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-1-Hose-AMBER-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/32-1-Hose-BLUE-S...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-1-Hose-BLUE-N...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-1-Hose-GREEN-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again!
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

If you are looking for a quality hand made rig in that price range I would have to say this one hands down. http://piratehookahs.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1
Or if you want an ice bucket look at this one. http://piratehookahs.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1
Or if you want some color to your stem http://piratehookahs.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1

Also some Magdy Zidan's up now, and some Syrians on my site. Browse around, I am sure you will see something that appeals to you. I am available for questions via the contact us button on the site.
Cant beat any of these for the price and free shipping this month to the lower 48 states
I own a KM and I can personally say it is by far the best rig I have owned to date.

Billy
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Dont BUY FROM EBAY!!!!!!!!!

Unless it's Taqseem. he's Ok.

Stargates are alright, but people have problem with the glue on the acrylic plastic part.

You are willing to spen 100-150 bucks, i say, without hesitation or another thought in my mind,

SYRIAN FROM JandRhookahs.com.

Period. Brass core, 4 holes in the shank, and he's a great vendor. And you wont be spending all 150 bucks on a stupid Chinese mya that is just all about looks and has all screw in parts and no brass and the threads will crack and you'll be totally screwed and the vase will probably break when you sneeze.

JandR syrian. That's what i say.
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

+1 syrians are they way
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

ohh yeah or a KM.. But The Syrians are prettier. It's based on price and looks right there. Both smoke Great.

Piratehookahs.com and JandRhookahs.com both have the prettiest Syrians.

Hookahcompany and Pimpyourhookah have great KM's.
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
bustinxjustin
Hookah Newbie

Those Syrians are truly beautiful .

Alright, since you guys are pushing the Syrians so much, these are my top two possibilities right now:

http://jandrhookahs.com/30-syrian-1-...stem-p-62.html

http://piratehookahs.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1

The Syrian is a little more expensive, but it is beautiful. Pirate hookahs said that he'll ship for free this month.

J&R also doesn't have that Syrian in stock, so that is also a bummer. Are they going to get more in stock?

I'll just have to sit on it...

This http://jandrhookahs.com/29-syrian-1-...stem-p-66.html is also very appealing to me.
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

LOL, that gold syrian you linked is the one I have, got the only one. To be completely honest, I was tossed up between the Gold and the Blue. Get the blue, you won't regret it.
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
PerznPerversion
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to PerznPerversion

i wouldnt even waste my money on the mod. i only use it when i want to smoke a small session because it saves the tobacco. besides that you can get it to smoke just as well w/o the mod.

Id go for the KM!!
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Personally, I like every one of the KMs that the vendors here sell! I have two KMs and I would definitely buy them again! Without hesitation!

I actually turned Huskysibe onto the KMs and he ordered one for his own personal use and love it, he loved it so much that he is now carrying them! haha

This is all just personal opinion, but I really like the KMs, they are hand made, authentic looking, and smoke incredibly! All for a very reasonable price too.

As an added bonus, you'll save some money so you can afford to get a couple boxes of the Exoticas. These are my personal favorite coals right now! If you have a torch, or stove top, I would definitely recommend these, they are fantastic!

Hope that helps!?

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
Dont BUY FROM EBAY!!!!!!!!!
And why not?! There is nothing wrong with buying from e-bay... I PERSONALLY bought my first hookah from the company I listed, and so have SEVERAL of my friends, and we've all recieved our brand new hookahs with no issues and nothing but great satisfaction... I also have spoken with the owners, and they are really honest and down to earth kind of people... just because some a-holes screw over people through e-bay, it doesn't mean that any and all vendors on e-bay are out to scam people...
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:07 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I agree with hookahmaster but i think zen's point wasnt that. Most ebay vendors sell chinese knock-offs and thats why their prices are so low. These may be airtight and fit perfectly but are nowhere near traditionally handmade egyptians or syrians
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook