Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Eating Tobacco in Goa

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 24th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Eating Tobacco in Goa

I recently had a business trip to Goa which is quite possibly the best place in all of Asia to eat and smoke. One of the more interesting, and oddly enough tasty, things I had was tobacco based foods. I recall hearing that something like 20% of all tobacco consumed in India ends up in various foods and I can believe it. I got to have the ever famous dish called Paan which is basically a mix of betel nuts, tobacco paste and a delightful array of spices but a couple of other dishes as well. I had a mix of potatoes, peas, fennel and tobacco paste wrapped in dough and deep fried as well as something similar made with onions and bits of pork. Both dishes were amazingly good. Lastly, I had a baked fish stuffed with yams, tobacco paste and a bunch of herbs which also was quite a treat. In all cases the tobacco used was a finely ground leaf mixed with honey which looked to me like any Indian jurak. In all cases he dishes were very enjoyable and totally unexpected to an Occidental palete.
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Eating Tobacco in Goa

the paan sounds pretty good. i hope to try it one day.

is there anywhere else that you can get food like this? can you (possibly) get it in america?
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I've heard great things about Goa from one of my Indian friends.
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Donnie
Hookah Nut

I have paan everyday. I loved the stuff after eating lunch or dinner.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

The thought of eating tobacco make me feel queasy. I guess if you've ever swallowed chaw or dip spit you can relate.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:37 AM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
The thought of eating tobacco make me feel queasy. I guess if you've ever swallowed chaw or dip spit you can relate.
I guess it's just how it's prepared Dunkel. Like spinach leaf, or seaweed. It's all in the preperation. I'd definitely like to try some tobacco based foods sometime.

Last edited by chrisicool; April 24th, 2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Spinach and seaweed do not contain bitter alkaloids.
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Spinach and seaweed do not contain bitter alkaloids.
Some bitter dishes are nice though!
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

I'm intrigued, but like Dunkel said, eating tobacco kinda makes my stomach flip. BUT, Deep fat frying cures Cancer in my world, so...

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
which is quite possibly the best place in all of Asia to eat and smoke.
and Drink!
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Ki2656
Hookah Newbie

the sweet paan is alsoo good too i think that has very minimal tobacco and more sugary stuff
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Jinzx
Hookah Nut

I went there two years ago and also ate tobacco , pretty good I must say. I weren't into hookah by then tho. I'm going there in October again ,will I be able to find me a hookah and some tobacco there?
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Actually The Tobacco you eat is green Tobacco not the cured and ripened leaves the green leaves is a vegetable and the alkaloids only start showing itself in force with the curing process. That is why the correct curing of tobacco is important for the crop of a tobacco Farmer hinges on it for the quality of the tobacco is determined by it. Bad quality low price good quality high price.

Take raw coffee beans they are white but once roasted and ground do they only release its flavor. Just as the taste of tea differs from green tea to dried tea.

Old April 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Imagine mixing Nakhla DA with Ceasar salad ... hmmmm
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Does anyone know the name of this tobacco paste, and if it is distributed here in the US? What about recipes that contain this paste?
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
Actually The Tobacco you eat is green Tobacco not the cured and ripened leaves the green leaves is a vegetable and the alkaloids only start showing itself in force with the curing process. That is why the correct curing of tobacco is important for the crop of a tobacco Farmer hinges on it for the quality of the tobacco is determined by it. Bad quality low price good quality high price.

Take raw coffee beans they are white but once roasted and ground do they only release its flavor. Just as the taste of tea differs from green tea to dried tea.

Actually you are right about the leaves being fermented and hence, no alkoloids. However, the stuff doesn't look like green leaf when it's been chopped and made into a honey paste.

Anyway, the thing is that these dishes are eaten by people that don't smoke and have no great love of tobacco. The fish dish was simply delightful and the tobacco tastes add something most definitely that is not what you are used to having in fod yet it melds with the other stuff in the recipe if you do it right.

I can say that when you eat tobacco it definitely does not taste like anything you smoke. You guys ought to give it try if you get the chance.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
pswami
Hookah Nut

That sounds like an awesome trip. I love paan, and eat it whenever I get the chance. Some Indian and Middle Eastern restaurants around here serve it, so if you're looking to try it, check restaurants.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A couple of people ask about getting this sort of food in the states and I suppose I am not the guy to ask since when I lived in the states I didn't know very many Indians and no one at all from Goa. I doubt that the paste is imported since it seems that it's something that Indians are into and I never saw it at an Indian restaurant overseas.

Basically it seems that the paste is made via cooking the green leaves and honey at a very low temperature and mixing in a bit of fennel and occasionally a few other herbs. I haven't done it myself so I am just giving my observation of how it's done. I do know that in some parts of India they sprinkle the green leaf into a bowl and mix it with the other ingredients but personally I like the paste much more.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Note to those intending to visit India so you can eat some Paan. Make sure you have some Cipro handy.

Last time I was in Bangalore I had Paan after lunch and then immediately left for the airport. The big 'D' hit before my flight got off the ground. I spent the next 18 hours (BLR-DEL-FRA-ORD) in severe agony -- guzzling pepto and chomping immodium.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Paan is an acquired taste Indian food is delicious when prepared correctly I know quite a few Indian people and a good curry should not burn the hell out of you one must be able to taste all the different intricate flavors in the curry. Neither incinerate your taste buds in the eating thereof and your Ass should not feel like the backend of the Batmobile the next morning nor should the runs occur. That sure is a sign of problems in the preparation of the food. I have enjoyed many an Indian meal and Curry in its own is an Individual Recipe as handed down from mothers to daughters. The Burn is in the Chillies used.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
I have paan everyday. I loved the stuff after eating lunch or dinner.
I bet your bengali, i love paan as well but dont eat it as much.

You should go gujarat and have the food they its so nice, but im just saying that as im from they
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Imagine mixing Nakhla DA with Ceasar salad ... hmmmm
ملوخية بالنخلة تفاحتين

LOL
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Glostersa is right about food preparation and I for one find it hard to imagine that anyone interested in Indian food couldn't love Paan. In any case, I am supposed to be getting the fish recipe soon so when I do i'll post it.
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

The patse is called chuna and the paan itself can either be a tobacco one or just a sweet one both are rapped up in a leaf so you eat it all in one go. I wouldn't call it a dish, its more of a candy.
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

That is pretty interesting. I guess I never thought of paan as candy since I never had any I thought was sweet. My personal favorite is the peas, potato, tobacco and spices dish that is wrapped in dough and fried. Apparently in Goa a lot of fish and pork dishes use tobacco which is pretty neat. It's also interesting that people there don't think of tobacco as only something to chew/smoke. They also have a really nasty sort of tobacco called "spit tobacco" which is sickening.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook