Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Water Dust in Stem?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Water Dust in Stem?

So, I searched, but couldn't find anything....

Does anyone else have a problem with water residue icky stuff remaining in the stem after it drys?

I have a single hose medium Sahara Candy Stripe, and whenever I clean it, it has this white crystally dust-like residue through out the stem and hose port when it dries. It's really annoying because I have to get it out before I smoke.

And on a side note, is it possibly this stuff is accumulating in my stem? I know the Sahara's aren't just a straight tube and have places for accumulation. Should I be worried?
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Water Dust in Stem?

Water crystals? I'm so confused... Are you from Siberia?
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

It's a white residue that resembles crystalline dust. That's the best way I can describe it. I'll try to get pictures...
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
So, I searched, but couldn't find anything....

Does anyone else have a problem with water residue icky stuff remaining in the stem after it drys?

I have a single hose medium Sahara Candy Stripe, and whenever I clean it, it has this white crystally dust-like residue through out the stem and hose port when it dries. It's really annoying because I have to get it out before I smoke.

And on a side note, is it possibly this stuff is accumulating in my stem? I know the Sahara's aren't just a straight tube and have places for accumulation. Should I be worried?
sounds like you have lime deposits, do you have really hard water where you live?
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

This is the best example I can get a picture of right now, but this is what I'm talking about. All those little crystal looking things form in my stem after the water dries. They're everywhere. In the bowl section, the main stem, the downstem, the hose port, the purge valve. Even my ball bearing gets covered with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Stem.jpg  
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

It's pretty easy to get that from my type of water cause I get my water from a well, where there is an electrical pump that pumps water from it in my basement. But doesn't do anything to my hookah. Only places like the toilet or bathtub. Causes a crusty orange ish to build up.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
sounds like you have lime deposits, do you have really hard water where you live?

What counts as really hard? We can get stuff to soap up... (that's the main indicator my mom taught me) We don't get the water scum on the bathtub. The building I live in though was built in the early 40s, so the pipes might have something to do with it.

And will this continue if I move to an area with REALLY soft water? (Cuz I'm moving in less than a month, and their water is so bad you can never get soap out of anything.)
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
This is the best example I can get a picture of right now, but this is what I'm talking about. All those little crystal looking things form in my stem after the water dries. They're everywhere. In the bowl section, the main stem, the downstem, the hose port, the purge valve. Even my ball bearing gets covered with it.
wow, that doesnt look like lime deposits from hard water, honestly i dont know what that could be, ive never seen anything like that before. strange but oddly interesting to. does it come off easily? and when it does is it solid or turn powdery?
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
wow, that doesnt look like lime deposits from hard water, honestly i dont know what that could be, ive never seen anything like that before. strange but oddly interesting to. does it come off easily? and when it does is it solid or turn powdery?
It doesn't happen at home. Only here at college. I haven't tried cleaning it in any other dormitories either.

It comes off at the touch, almost like it's barely hanging on. It's slightly solid, but if you rub your fingers together it powderizes. It's only that white-ish color and forms on anything metal. Oddly, it doesn't form on the outside of the stem, only the inside. It doesn't form on the bowl or tongs. There's an odd residue on the inside of my vase, but that might just be my habit of not cleaning it out for a couple hours after smoking.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

Hard water means, the water hasn't been filtered out of alot of minerals (which to the human body can be a good thing), it def looks like a lime deposite or some sort of mineral.

CLR ( it's a mineral remover)- Calcium, Lime and Rust, gets rid of all of it, give your hookah a quick bath in this to clean it up and then rinse really really good, it should take care of your mineral deposite problem.

Also, Saharasmoke hookah's aren't the best for durability.

And believe me yea, it's hard water, those dorm showers don't have the best of water filters hahahaha.

Last edited by Pixelz; April 28th, 2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: adding text
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

I feel a chemisty lesson coming on!
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelz View Post
Also, Saharasmoke hookah's aren't the best for durability.

Granted, but my baby's less than a year old. Got it in August. It shouldn't be deteriorating that fast...
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

hard water sucks, I have a Chinese hookah that that the removeable downstem pretty much welded in place due to hard water... good thing it was just a chinese
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:38 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Happened to me when I was in a really small town in eastern washington for a week. I started smoking it and after a few days the same kinda crystal things appeared down my old stem.
CLR removed it & when I got back home it was fine. The water is what did it.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:09 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
It doesn't happen at home. Only here at college. I haven't tried cleaning it in any other dormitories either.

Threre's got to be a chemistry lab there on campus. Get somebody over there to analyze the crystals.
Could be somethng funky with your water system that people need to know about.

Old April 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Threre's got to be a chemistry lab there on campus. Get somebody over there to analyze the crystals.
Could be somethng funky with your water system that people need to know about.

Ha! They still haven't fixed the fire damage in one of the buildings, I highly doubt they'd care about the water unless it was poisonous, and nobody's died from drinking the water.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

My 22" sahara did the same thing; mostly in the heart and hose ports and I have soft water. You could wash it away but as soon as the water was dried it would be back.

The only conclusion I could make was that sahara uses some wack-ass cheap chinese alloy for the stem and its some weird form of corrosion, because it did seem to form more where there were spots on the stem that were obviously corroding and the finish was flaking off.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
The only conclusion I could make was that sahara uses some wack-ass cheap chinese alloy for the stem and its some weird form of corrosion, because it did seem to form more where there were spots on the stem that were obviously corroding and the finish was flaking off.

I think it forms more where there's flaking because it gives it somewhere to "grip on". It's through out my stem and on the threads (inside and outside) where my stem screws together. The possibility of cheap alloy is there, the finish around the threads is completely peeling off.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
I think it forms more where there's flaking because it gives it somewhere to "grip on". It's through out my stem and on the threads (inside and outside) where my stem screws together. The possibility of cheap alloy is there, the finish around the threads is completely peeling off.
Yeah actually the stuff made my hookah fuse together....so it is no longer able to be taken into pieces ^_^
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
moraleclipseX
Hookah Newbie

I have the same problem and my sahara is only a month or so old.. it leaves a residue of it in the base when i leave the hookah empty on the table.. I think it alters the taste in my opinion cause i find myself likeing flavors and the smoke less and less since the day i got it. Its pretty gross all the white scuzz i clean it often and it seems like the coating of the metal is wearing. I have also been getting the upper part of my stem clogged and i think its the same thing thats doing it. So frustrating.
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Trivial
Banned

your question has been answered!!!

Reply by SaharaSmoke.com
The inside of our stems is stainless steel, but we've discovered the root of the issue with the white buildup - and no worries, it's not corrosion. Apparently our factory covered the stainless steel parts of the stem with a zinc alloy, which in turn will react with ions in hard water to create the buildup mentioned.

This problem can be resolved by washing it out after every first few uses, and there will be nothing left to react with the water.

Our next shipment of stems will not have this issue, and we apologize for the aesthetic inconv
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:41 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

my ss genie rusted through in 4 months and i wiped that little guy all the time.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
cockerham3
Hookah Nut

That sounds like it'd taste bad. Metal flavored smoke can't be too great on the palate.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
your question has been answered!!!

Reply by SaharaSmoke.com
The inside of our stems is stainless steel, but we've discovered the root of the issue with the white buildup - and no worries, it's not corrosion. Apparently our factory covered the stainless steel parts of the stem with a zinc alloy, which in turn will react with ions in hard water to create the buildup mentioned.

This problem can be resolved by washing it out after every first few uses, and there will be nothing left to react with the water.

Our next shipment of stems will not have this issue, and we apologize for the aesthetic inconv

See the problem I find with that is that I've cleaned it out after every use, and brushed the inside and cleaned it with lemon/baking soda, and it's still doing it. My hookah is almost a year old, so it shouldn't still have that problem if cleaning takes care of it.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
See the problem I find with that is that I've cleaned it out after every use, and brushed the inside and cleaned it with lemon/baking soda, and it's still doing it. My hookah is almost a year old, so it shouldn't still have that problem if cleaning takes care of it.
I didnt say it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook