Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Another Glass tip thread?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Another Glass tip thread?

Ok Hookah Pros, I have talked to TheDreamEnder already abotu this, so dont think i am trying to cut him out of the market or anything, but.....

I got in contact with a local glass blower about making some glass tips. I have some ideas about how i would design them, but since you guys would be the target demographic, tell me what kind of shapes, and colors you would be interested in for these.

My ideas is basically just a simple tip. It would come straight out from the handle and then curve slightly toward yoru mouth, like a cobra hose, without the actual cobra head shape on there.

As far as colors, i am thinking just plain, clear glass, with one or two colors of stripes.

Thanks in advance for the input, if we can get designs ideas and a good enough demand i can get these produced and sent out to the first round of customers in the next two weeks.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Trivial
Banned

Default Re: Another Glass tip thread?

Here some pics of my hose tip

I Like the overall look.. but would like some swirls in it and maybe a double ball instead of one

I like how the mouth tip is more squared so i dont have to open my mouth so wide

and needs a wide bottom hole

but im interested in getting one!

any maybe some black or even blue ! or both

Last edited by Trivial; May 1st, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Count me out, tried developing a product once before to be met with harsh criticism, and people not holding their weight. I researched, I found a company to blow glass, I designed, packaged, researched the business aspect of it. I'm actually kind of tired of this stuff continuing to go on when noone else is putting effort in. If you have everything set, and you are confident in your ability to do so, and do them legally then by all means go for it.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisicool View Post
Count me out, tried developing a product once before to be met with harsh criticism, and people not holding their weight. I researched, I found a company to blow glass, I designed, packaged, researched the business aspect of it. I'm actually kind of tired of this stuff continuing to go on when noone else is putting effort in. If you have everything set, and you are confident in your ability to do so, and do them legally then by all means go for it.
I am not sure if there was animosity directed towards me here or not. Basically i was just trying to get one made for personal use when the idea of mass production came up. If there are people on here that want one as well, i would get some made. I am not too terribly interested in wholesaling to other places as it makes the whole process much more complicated.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the whole legal aspect of it, but like i said, this is pretty much just a small scale thing.

To be clear, this whole thing is not affiliated with The DreamEnder's (and formerly chrisicool) venture, but out of respect for them (i consider them E-friends of mine) i asked TDE if he was cool with me trying at this. Dont want to get in the middle of his stuff.

Anyways, back to the ideas.... anybody got some?
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

I'm still hoping for a double helix shape, though it sounds like you wont be doing anything that complex. good luck with it, keep us posted!
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
I am not sure if there was animosity directed towards me here or not. Basically i was just trying to get one made for personal use when the idea of mass production came up. If there are people on here that want one as well, i would get some made. I am not too terribly interested in wholesaling to other places as it makes the whole process much more complicated.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the whole legal aspect of it, but like i said, this is pretty much just a small scale thing.

To be clear, this whole thing is not affiliated with The DreamEnder's (and formerly chrisicool) venture, but out of respect for them (i consider them E-friends of mine) i asked TDE if he was cool with me trying at this. Dont want to get in the middle of his stuff.

No animosity, I'll tell you sometime.
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

As long as its reasonably priced, non NHTish, and more..."classic" in style...1-2 colors tops....as for shapes...i like the posted design.
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
As long as its reasonably priced, non NHTish, and more..."classic" in style...1-2 colors tops....as for shapes...i like the posted design.
I agree Brad. I am steering as far from the NHT look as possible. The tip i have in mind is very similar to trivials, but without the bulge, and like i said, with some colored swirls/stripes.

As for price, the initial guesstimate i got for price per unit wholesaled to me and such... i think we would be looking at about 30 bucks a pop (shipping included?).
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
I agree Brad. I am steering as far from the NHT look as possible. The tip i have in mind is very similar to trivials, but without the bulge, and like i said, with some colored swirls/stripes.

As for price, the initial guesstimate i got for price per unit wholesaled to me and such... i think we would be looking at about 30 bucks a pop (shipping included?).
30 is a great price... its how much i payed for mine but was not the original

ull have to see if the shipping is included once ure futher along and know the profit margin..

I wouldnt specualte on that
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
30 is a great price... its how much i payed for mine but was not the original

ull have to see if the shipping is included once ure futher along and know the profit margin..

I wouldnt specualte on that
Yeah, i dont even have a firm price on what each one is going to cost me at wholesale. But, depending on the packing materials, and price of shipping, i think 30 might be doable. I am not looking to make a fortune on this or anything, More of a slightly financially beneficial favor to the members of my favorite hookah community. Maybe if i get a little more savvy and bring some other people on board i could expand down the line, but meh.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

If I were you, i'd look at the suggestion post that TDE and chris had going and not even bring up the glass tips until it is set in stone and they're being put in production.

just my .02

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
If I were you, i'd look at the suggestion post that TDE and chris had going and not even bring up the glass tips until it is set in stone and they're being put in production.

just my .02
I was just trying to see if my idea of aesthetics was roughly the same as other members on here before i really got too far into the planning process with my blower. I think that as of right now, i am thinking i am just going to have mine made, post a vid about it and get the feedback from it. Maybe work on another design or two. Picking up a razan tonight from TheHookahStore, just gotta drive up and get it. I will give the tip to my blower sunday night and then hopefully have the prototype by the end of next week.

But i have all the way through chrisicool/TDE's thread and most of it is just agreeing with the designs they made (which chris has since taken down for his own reasons). I like one of the ideas mentioned in there... basically make it look like a beer bottle. Thats pretty funny/awesome IMO. Might kind of take the DNA helix idea and make it a little sturdier and see how that works.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

here is my opinion on it.

glass tips are cool, most of the lamp workers you are going to find that do production work do NHT stuff and their stuff that isnt looks like that. production work is cool and all but if you really want a glass tip go talk to a local lamp worker and get one made.

as to production work i would like to see them with simple, traditional color designs (thats just my style, i like traditional glass blowing on the large scale so i like the traditional stuff). i would like to see some simple thin lines twisted up, a nice rotocello would be really cool too. honestly though lamp workers are a dime a dozen and most of the suck at what they do. glass working is not easy and a lot of glass workers put junk out and people buy it because they dont know better

-matt
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
here is my opinion on it.

glass tips are cool, most of the lamp workers you are going to find that do production work do NHT stuff and their stuff that isnt looks like that. production work is cool and all but if you really want a glass tip go talk to a local lamp worker and get one made.

as to production work i would like to see them with simple, traditional color designs (thats just my style, i like traditional glass blowing on the large scale so i like the traditional stuff). i would like to see some simple thin lines twisted up, a nice rotocello would be really cool too. honestly though lamp workers are a dime a dozen and most of the suck at what they do. glass working is not easy and a lot of glass workers put junk out and people buy it because they dont know better

-matt
i agree on almost every point, I think that most of the glass blowers are primarliy into blowign NHT items, which this guys is as well, but i have seen his work, and i he has a lot of pieces that are in the same kind of colorations and styles i am looking for. I told him specifically that i want to avoid drawing a paralell with my tips and the NHT culture, and he totally understood. I am meeting him sunday night after work to talk some more and show him around a hookah.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Trivial
Banned

cant wait
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

one or two stripes would be perfect. even some colored dots would be sick.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:

Unless there are patents and or copyrights(which would be near impossible to do on anything but a specific name in glass blowing) then there is no legal issue for you to start trying this. And since everything else is either abandoned, put on hold or in the process of being scrapped then I see no reason why anyone would feel "dissed" since they no longer care to be honest. So go for it and good luck to ya.

Last edited by Kwikwi; May 3rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Aside from all the production talk and stuff. I would be in to buy one =] The post with the pictures and the wide flat tip is actually a really good idea. I def wouldn't mind getting one from you!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
Unless there are patents and or copyrights(which would be near impossible to do on anything but a specific name in glass blowing) then there is no legal issue for you to start trying this. And since everything else is either abandoned, put on hold or in the process of being scrapped then I see no reason why anyone would feel "dissed" since they no longer care to be honest. So go for it and good luck to ya.
honestly short of newer tools, the newest process that has a specific name i know of is 150 years old by that name. i know of processes that were invented a few years back but the student that developed it tells every one how to do it

-matt
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
honestly short of newer tools, the newest process that has a specific name i know of is 150 years old by that name. i know of processes that were invented a few years back but the student that developed it tells every one how to do it

-matt
?lost me. My post was refering to brand names of glass, ie Blenko, Wimberly etc. There are some who actually patent their items but outside of them it's a freeforall on designs.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
?lost me. My post was refering to brand names of glass, ie Blenko, Wimberly etc. There are some who actually patent their items but outside of them it's a freeforall on designs.
ya i was getting at techniques, but even the brand names of glass have started to get used in general, "pyrex" is used to talk about most borosilica glass even if it is not truly pyrex

-matt
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Dragon Breath
Hookah Newbie

so that is it? no more talks of the glass tip? i have really been looking forward to this.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:02 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

would be interesting, major aspects of it would involve price obviously. If they're more then ten bucks I don't see many people being all that interested unless they're rather ornate(inside out glass, lathing and all that).

Also glass material could be rather important since glass can be rather fragile.

Design wise, I'd say the one imaged is pretty much inline with something I'd be down for. If they could be done, shape wise I would try to mimic the general shape of the cobra heads. If no ones gotten on this, I can get a couple hundred made for pretty cheap.
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

um 10 bucks for a hand blown tip, good luck with that, most lamp workers are probably going to laugh at you for that. your looking bare min of 15 for a very simple one and pushing 30-50 for a nice tip. as to the fragility of it, pyrex is super strong, ya if you drop it on concrete it has a good chance of breaking but so does acrylic and wood

-matt
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
um 10 bucks for a hand blown tip, good luck with that, most lamp workers are probably going to laugh at you for that. your looking bare min of 15 for a very simple one and pushing 30-50 for a nice tip. as to the fragility of it, pyrex is super strong, ya if you drop it on concrete it has a good chance of breaking but so does acrylic and wood

-matt
I don't know what you're talking about price wise, It would probably cost something ridiculous like that if I went to an American glass blower. Anyway, If I was going to do full production, I already know glass blowers in india, and for something like that it'd be under ten bucks a piece easy.

As far as material goes, pyrex can be over-rated and questionable sometimes. Good glass material now a days is borosilicate and another one that I want to say is schott glass.

And uh... since when does a wooden mouth-piece break when hitting concrete?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook