Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Egyptian Bowl Set-up

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

Default Egyptian Bowl Set-up

I Recently bought a Khalil Mamoon, Alam Misr 28 inch, it has a small egyptian style bowl that isnt very deep but wider than normal. Unfortunately I havent been able to get the best smoke out of it. It usually burnt the tobacco (AF grape) too quickly and alot became stuck to the bottom of the foil used. I then tried two sheets of foil that helped but i didnt experience the great taste that Al fakher is reknown for. Im using both coconara natural coals (2 of them) which helps as there is no added toxication, but the tobacco is still not pure flavour. When using European standard golden flash instants its even worse.
Looked around for a decent tutorial to set up a bowl but most of them being phunnel/vorex bowls.
Need some help to rekindle the flame of AF (was my first flavour and not impressed yet, my nakhla apple seems better)
Ive attached pictures of the tobacco, coals as well as the bowl.
The dimensions of the bowl is about 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch high from the bottom to the rim.
Im in the UK so I want to use my coconaras sparingly until retailers decide to stock back up on them. got too many of the instants so any advice would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010063.JPG   P1010064.JPG   P1010065.JPG   P1010066.JPG  

Last edited by breldar; May 3rd, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Full_ron
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Egyptian Bowl Set-up

Well if it's burning the top layer I would suggest a little bit less tobacco or a tighter foil cover.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

keep the shisha under the rim dont feel like u have to have a ton of shisha in the bowl
and we have some vids on how to pack a km bowl on here i know i did one
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

Cheers, i also just read about putting toothpicks in the holes whilst packing the bowl so ill give it a go 2nite, only thing is I look and most bowls can take alot but this can only have 1/2 cm high before it reaches the rim seems like a little tobacco to me thats all
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

nothing wrong with only needing a little amount of shisha
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

Just checked out your vid and I think i was a bit eager stuffing the tobacco in saw your bowl was deeper and you used less than i would, thanks for the vid it helped alot will let you know how it goes.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Have a small Egyptian claybowl here I sprinkle the tobacco in loosely the cover with a tight foil 5 to 7 toothpick size holes one centre rest around the size of the coal use small Al Waha instant lights (all we can get here) No burning and smooth smoke by the time the coal is doen the tobacco is as well (40 minutes of life in them) 7 holes for Nakhla 5 holes for finer cut tobacco.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

So your saying one hole in the middle of the foil, and a further 5-7 holes around the sides? halfway between the centre and the edge or on the edge?
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Zeggi
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Zeggi

[FONT=Verdana]If you ask me it’s not the pattern of the holes that matter it’s the size vs space, I suggest smaller holes so you don’t get any ashes in the tobacco.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Sprinkle the shisha, remove any stems, don’t over do it, keep it under the line, don’t push the shisha down just tap it, make sure no shisha touches the foil, once this is done. Get a long toothpick and go straight through the 5holes, under the bowl, it helps airflow and doesn’t clog the holes. Some people put the foil and then blow in air under the bowl which might ruin the whole concept of not allowing the shisha touch the foil... that’s why I use a longer toothpick.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Keep heat on, red hot coal and most importantly cook the shisha dont burn it, keep the coal close to the rim outer part of the bowl. start off with 1 if it’s too harsh your doing something wrong, if its Tickling in the back of your throat than add more heat, 2 coals, still the same go on with a wind cover, purge, move the coals around etc..[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]You can join hundreds of communities and follow the tips and hints from all the hookah-gurus out there, I’ve even heard that some of them figured out the meaning of life :P

BUT STILL[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]No one can tell you what’s right or wrong, that’s the beauty of shisha. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It’s your way that counts…[/FONT]

Last edited by Zeggi; May 4th, 2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I ike Buns!
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Be very, very gentle with the AF, the cut is too small to handle too much coal.

Pack AF down a little bit more, don't leave it fluffy like other tobaccos. Poke holes ALL THE WAY down to the bottom of the bowl.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

i love that hose on that rig. There is like some green forest KM on one of the websites and it has that hose....love it
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Better yet, get a phunnel .... I never went back to Egyptian bowls.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

LOl its funny how we rave about egyptian staff (Nakhla , Egypian bowls etc) and THE EGYPTIAN raves about everything thats american (Starbuzz, Funnel etc)
Next thing am expecting is Ahmad smoking that funny tank hookah on the other thread. :P
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

I was amazed myself when iread it but it tends to be the choice taken by most smokers, the general concensus is to go get yourself a phunnel, guess i better hop on the band wagon but until then the tips here have helped loads especially poking hole str8 trhough the foil from the holes in the bottom of the bowl
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook