Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Al Barudi Blend Smoking Impressions & Setup

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Al Barudi Blend Smoking Impressions & Setup

Having smoking this amazing product several times I am finally able to give some impressions how it smokes and how to set it up.

The Al Barudi Blend is a old fashioned spiced moassel and like so many of such products the best way to describe it is complicated and nuanced. Ones first impression is the aroma of mints and spices and that the Al Barudi Blend is a good deal wetter then what I am used to as far as traditional moassels go. As a result, I decided to pack it in a vortex bowl and let it acclimate a bit before smoking and discovered that the aroma became both more subtle and complicated after 30 minutes with vanilla/tobacco/honey elements becoming noticeable but far from assertive.

Smoking the Al Barudi blend is a sublime exercise for one’s palate with a wide range of flavors present with nothing dominating the profile. Along with the numerous tobacco flavours I detected a myriad of spices, mints, vanilla, something coffee like, cedar, honey and molasses. Very complicated, very rich and extremely heavy, this Spring Seasonal is like nothing else.

Setup

As mentioned earlier the Al Barudi Blend is very moist and when I let it acclimate for 30 minutes the aroma profile changed for the better. I don’t know if it’s necessary to do this but I feel it added something to the session so I’d recommend it.

In terms of bowls I’ve found that traditional brands like Shooting Star don’t work well at all in Egyptian or mod type bowls. Instead, I’d recommend that these sorts of products be used in a funnel or vortex. As an aside, I always use a scali mod with my funnel as it reduces the bowl volume and, more importantly, improves air flow and vaporization making for a more flavorful smoke. When packing the bowl I suggest doing so loosely and “fluffing” the moassel leaving about 3 or 4mm of space from the rim empty.

In terms of hole patterns I suggest columns consisting of 4 small, pin holes evenly spaced once every 3/8" U.S.

A product as fine as this deserves top quality coals so I use a natural finger coal broken into 4 even sized pieces. Heat management is a fairly simply matter of moving the coals about every 5-7 minutes.

Last Thing

Like all Shooting Star products the Al Barduri blend is much stronger then the typical American style candy/fruit/yuppie drink type product and if you do a Hoover imitation when smoking it you’ll wind up flat on back and hating life. Smoke this stuff as if it was a prized cigar to be enjoyed at the end of a demanding yet rewarding day. Since this is a very nuanced product you’ll miss a lot of what it has to offer if you smoke it when distracted. Smoke when you have some time alone and on a full stomach with out the distractions of phones, computers, music, sex, booze, friends, family etc. if you want to really get the maximum out of it.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: Al Barudi Blend Smoking Impressions & Setup

oh man I can't wait! thanks for taking the time out to write this Hajo!

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Thank you Hajo! The anticipation is killing me!

EDIT:
Anticipation is over, my package arrived! It smells amazing. Just from smelling from the bag I can detect hints of vanilla, slight mint, various spices and a minute scent of a sweet cappucino (sp?) My wife smelled it and to her it smells like a very spicy rootbeer. Not like a sweet soda rootbeer but a spicy one if that makes sense.
Cant wait to smoke it.

Last edited by BIGPOPPA; May 4th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Sounds beautiful. The kind of smoke that is an experience in and of it's self.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
kingboyb
Banned

How can we get ahold of this stuff?
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
How can we get ahold of this stuff?
Lot's of prayer and some human sacrifice.
Sadly it's not readily available in the states and this is a limited production blend as it is that is highly sought after. If you happen to know somebody that can get their hands on some that would be your best bet. getting this kind of tobacco usually involves travel or large orders beyond that of the average american shisha smoker's means.

Last edited by kalutika; May 4th, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Also, as Hajo has stated, the Family that fabricates this tobacco generally makes around 1000-5000 kilos of this product once a year; and before it is even released to the public, most of it is shipped off to family friends/loyal customer/etc.

I for one am trying to create some form of Mod that will fit the Mini Phunnel perfectly and still keep the tobacco smoking well. SO far- failure.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

By now several people have this stuff or it's on the way. Like so many traditional moassels this is very unusual in that it's an exceedingly complicated mellow product with nothing in particular dominating the profile. It doesn't produce the vast clouds so beloved by college kids since it lacks glycerin but the smoke production is still pretty decent.

The caution against aggressively smoking this stuff is for real! You will get knocked down and you will get a headache and you will lose a lot the enjoyment that this sort of thing has to offer if you treat this stuff like typical washed product.

Also, I should be heading to Iran on business in the near term and I should be able to score some Iranian Khansar since i'll be that area so keep an eye open for posts on that as I may grab enough to give some away.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
The caution against aggressively smoking this stuff is for real! You will get knocked down and you will get a headache and you will lose a lot the enjoyment that this sort of thing has to offer if you treat this stuff like typical washed product.
my nicotine tolerance must be sky high because last time I smoked shooting star I was chaining it like no tomorrow and was fine lol. I don't even get a buzz from tangiers anymore

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Pretty funny. I am the same way in that tombac and Desi Merli don't effect me much. I was basically thinking about the typical shisha fan that thinks that anything not as fake as SB is brutal since those kinds of people are the rule rather then the exception these days.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook