Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

a few phunnel bowl questions...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default a few phunnel bowl questions...

so i just got my order in, my buddy broke BOTH my phunnel bowl and vortex bowl. (sad day, but he paid for the whole thing so i'm not bothered)

anyway, the website just said "phunnel bowl" under the listing. it looked exactly like the black phunnel bowl i once knew, so i went for it. i got the package today, and they sent me a havana bowl. here's a few pictures.

it also came with it's own fat fuckin bowl grommet.

first question. does anyone want it? haha. i'll trade it for any color, new or used small phunnel bowl. i have a km hose up for trade too if you want to trade for that as well.

second question, is this the size of a large phunnel bowl? how many grams does it hold?

third question. if nobody wants it, and i decide to smoke with it, can i just load up half the bowl, and poke holes in the foil on that side? i'm not going to smoke with that much shisha at a time.

also, what's the difference between a small chinese phunnel bowl, and a regular tangiers phunnel?

Last edited by chadtizzle; May 4th, 2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Trivial
Banned

Default Re: a few phunnel bowl questions...

that looks like a medium ( have all four phunnel sizes )

the large will be a little deeper... but i guess they vary

but that sux man
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

I hate these fucking big stem phunnels. They'll fall off the gromet on my KM and let a TON of air in.

shitshitshit
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Dang.. that's too much Chinese crap for my eyes to handle.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

what's the difference between a chinese small phunnel, and a regular tangiers phunnel?
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by necco View Post
I hate these fucking big stem phunnels. They'll fall off the gromet on my KM and let a TON of air in.

shitshitshit
u need to order a bigger grommet or rape same toilet paper around it

or black electrical tape
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
u need to order a bigger grommet or rape same toilet paper around it

or black electrical tape

The poor toilet paper...
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
The poor toilet paper...
LOL did i say toilet paper... I ment paper towel
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

lol you still didn't catch it Trivial

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You think the toilet paper is gonna call it in to the hotline?
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Codeman

LOL. Well - what's worse - raping the toilet paper or using it for it's intended purpose
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

boo to this whole thing, sorry to hear it man. You can always use it to throw at someone
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

my friend would pack half of a phunnel and sometimes fill the empty half with foil but usually not, it worked fine. if your not smoking tangiers you can just under pack it all around even (like half full will work, its slightly different smoke but nothing major

-matt
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
cockerham3
Hookah Nut

that blows... i'm sorry about that. i'd be pissed. that bowl is giant. and i guess it isn't exactly what you thought you ordered. i feel your pain.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
boo to this whole thing, sorry to hear it man. You can always use it to throw at someone
i probably will. either that or i'm going to order a phunnel with my buddies card, to buy him a hookah and then swap it. it's not like he's going to use it, he's a n00b.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

make a big a scali mod
i saw somewhere where somone added some wire mesh from like a drain to the bottom of the bowl to make it smaller
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:52 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

this phunnel bowl craze is odd. the original tangiers phunnel bowl really has a lot into it that can't just be copied. You can copy the dimensions and specs all you want but what they use is not what the chinese ceramic phunnel bowls are made of. not only that it seems like there are so many copies of the phunnel bowl out there now. last summer or so the "chinese phunnel bowl" came out and it just looked perfect, and it was cheaper. afyer smoking it for a bit, and interchaning bw it and my original tangiers bowl I did notice that there was a difference, depending on what tobacco you are using. I do know what it was, I just didn't like them anymore, I have stuck with my original ever since. Everytime I am at a wholesaler I see a new copy of the phunnel bowl, and most are made out of ceramic, including havana and including starbuzz's copy, and i can remember the name, maybe hypnosis. these companies take a perfectly good original product and try to copy someone else's invention and undercut the price thinking it's going to be the "new" original and outsell it. I for one can't stand the site of them anymore, escpecially the ceramic ones. I should add that I had chinese standard ceramic bowls that come with most chinese hookahs (ceramic or porcelin? w/e) I will always swap out those bowls with egyptian clay, or if available a tangeirs phunnel bowl.
Now that I told you how I really feel about this subject let me switch gears a bit. I stopped by Caravan today and saw these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hookah-FUNNEL-Bo...0|293:1|294:30
At first I just turned away, I didn't want to see another copy of the original product. They look like they are not as well made/shaped as chinese phunnel bowls so I thought wow, this is even worse than the cheap know offs going around, they are just too imperfect. On my way out with other supplies I took one more look. I noticed it was made out of Egyptian clay, and glazedall the way through he inner port as well as the outside. I thought again about it and took one to try tonight, after all, this wasn't a chinese knockoff, but an egyptian knockoff made with egyptian clay. I have to admit I was really surprised, it smoked well and I think I will discuss it in another thread with details. There are a few pros and cons but I want to use it a few more times before making a complete judgment. So far, I'm thinking positive, but time will tell and I want to make an experienced decision on it.
Have you guys seen it and what do you think?
Back to the original topic, stay away from the imitations, just because hey say it's a phunnel, doesn't mean it was what you were looking for nor is it an original. You can tell by price sometimes as the knock offs should be less than $10.
I think I could discuss this issue alot more but I think my post is long enough atm.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:27 AM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

I have the same phunnel and it's sh*t to be honest ... The whole bowl is really big, needs a lot of tobacco. The inner part is too high, so i just can't get it working without a homemade mod, which i haven't done since. I have never tried an original Tangiers phunnel, but when i'll have the chance to get my hands on a small one, than i'll do.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
(ceramic or porcelin? w/e) I will always swap out those bowls with egyptian clay
just fyi john, ceramic and porcelain are no different, porcelain is ceramic. there is no standard of what porcelain is but it is usually higher quality and, at least before glazing, a very pure white. once clay is fired it becomes ceramic, just the difference is between unglazed or glaze ceramic. AFAIK all bowls are fired because logically if they were not they would not hold up very long and could not be washed because they would start to rehydrate and break down. so even though they are "clay" the correct term is unglazed ceramic

sorry for the rantish response but this is a pet peeve of mine in general when distinctions are made of words for semantics sake yet the distinctions are totally off of what they really mean

-matt
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
just fyi john, ceramic and porcelain are no different, porcelain is ceramic. there is no standard of what porcelain is but it is usually higher quality and, at least before glazing, a very pure white. once clay is fired it becomes ceramic, just the difference is between unglazed or glaze ceramic. AFAIK all bowls are fired because logically if they were not they would not hold up very long and could not be washed because they would start to rehydrate and break down. so even though they are "clay" the correct term is unglazed ceramic

sorry for the rantish response but this is a pet peeve of mine in general when distinctions are made of words for semantics sake yet the distinctions are totally off of what they really mean

-matt
Thanks for the brief explanation. However, there still are differences whether glazed clay or ceramic/porcelin. There must be and it does affect heat conductivity. Some better than others. The tangiers phunnel bowl uses a special type of clay that not too many know of, I actually have that secret info which I will do nothing with other than forget I have no interest in copying them.

For the user above who said the caravan ones suck why did you buy it, they are listed at the same price if not more than a tangiers. Would you be willing to pay $10 and if you paid $10 would it still suck.
The odd thing is you say your phunnel is too high, mine looks too low. I will post a review maybe in a few days.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o no i agree john just the terms are a pet peeve of mine

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook