Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

It IS addicting

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM
cockerham3
Hookah Nut

Default Re: It IS addicting

you smoke a whole lot. haha... it should be a treat...
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

it definently is not addictive, i believe that nicotine isnt addictive either the reason why people are addicted to cig's is because of the chemicals. Hookah just makes you feel good like any junk food or "sex" but it is not addictive you just want it because its nice to have.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I usually smoke 1-3 bowls a day and 5+ on weekends depending on how busy i am. I love to set up my hookah with my tea or coffee in the evening but i can really do without it. I never feel the "need" to smoke i just like smoking.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Sambooka's sac is also addicting.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
SteepinTea403
Hookah Newbie

As a relatively new smoker, i would say that it is addicting. Not in an intense way (physical), but merely because i find myself thinking about it often.

I've recognized this and know it's something I want to enjoy in moderation (i know it's unhealthy and im a rather athletic person), so i've committed myself to NEVER smoking alone. Hookah is a social thing for me, that's fun to chill with friends and have a smoke.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Sambooka's sac is also addicting.
oh god you've got that right. i love his sac sooo much.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
xin666
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to xin666

Sorry, Chad, you made the out of context boards

On another note, I have noticed my smoking sessions increasing in number, especially since I got a decent rig. Probably just because I can actually enjoy it now rather than have to wait to go to the lounge.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Seb L
Hookah Newbie

im in the 2 to 3 times a week now...
off course.. gets addicting
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMassacre View Post
So I was always told 'hookah isn't addicting' & such. I always believed it, but started to question it more & more.

Back since August when I got my hookah I have slowly been smoking more & more.
Started off in September 1-2 times a week.
October 2-3 times a week.
November 3-4 times a week.
December - 3-5 times a week
January/February - 5+ times a week.
March-May. Every single day! 6/7 days was with at least one more person & 5/7 days was multiple sessions.

I went my first successful day w/o smoking yesterday & realized it was definitely a 'habit' & something to do to 'relax' but its definitely addicting haha.
The Nakhla & Tangiers I think made me especially addicted... but there are warnings so it isn't their fault.

I just wanted to point out that to those who say it 'isn't addicting' or you 'can't get addicted' you may be wrong haha.

But I don't have a problem with it & I'll keep smoking regularly. I just wanted to see how 'addicted' I really was. Its especially interesting to me seeing as I don't smoke cigarettes (never have).

Just curious as far as your view points on hookah addiction.
It seems that the real issue here is what exactly is substance addiction. One is often said to be addicted to something when that substance/activity/thing is seen as somehow negative and yet enjoyable enough to become habitual. As such, if one discovers enjoyment in some substance/activity/thing viewed as a vice it is described as addictive. This how people are frequently described as being addicted to fat laden foods, gambling, alcohol, video games, the internet, tobacco, adrenaline, sex, chocolate or what have you. The problem is that what is commonly referred to as addiction is clinically not accurate and like so many terms addiction has entered into popular usage and is abused for political/cultural/religious ends by people that either donít know or donít care what the term actually means.

In psychopharmacological circles addiction is correctly thought of in terms of the use of psychoactive substances to which the user becomes dependant upon to such an extent that his obsession with the substance dominates his conduct to the extreme detriment of his health, ability to act reasonably and social well being . Other aspects of addiction are:
1) an extremely high probability of the need for professional medical care to terminate use of the substance
2) an extremely high rate of the addict resuming consumption of the substance without close, professional supervision and medical intervention
3) Continued use resulting in catastrophic health consequences being a near certainty in the mid term or sooner
4) debilitating psychological and physical conditions arising in the addict during withdraw from the substance

Clearly by the standards mentioned above tobacco is far less problematic in terms of addiction then almost any illegal substance. This should be obvious given that the vast majority of all tobacco consumers world wide have perfectly normal and productive lives while the same canít be said of consumers of illegal substances. While it is undeniable that heavy consumers of tobacco develop a consumption patter that demonstrates a dependance and some of the negative attributes mentioned above it is also true even heavy smokers continue to lead productive, normal lives while the same can rarely be said of alcoholics and habitual users of illegal substances.

It should also be pointed out that ex-smokers far out number smokers in every single Occidental nation and that in excess of 90% of them quit smoking without professional counseling or medical assistance of any sort which again is a radical point of departure from virtually all other substances traditionally viewed as addictive. If one becomes familiar with the physiology of withdraw from other substances traditional viewed as additive one will notice that the effects are far more traumatic then those typically experienced by people attempting to cease using tobacco. One will also point out that unlike addicts dependant upon controlled and illegal substances or alcoholics tobacco users face far less likelihood of suffering debilitating disease as well as far less drastic reductions in life expectancy.

The crux of all these points is that all of the hysterical condemnations of the addictiveness of nicotine being far worse then all the various substances I canít mention here are utterly without foundation in fact.

With respect to Michaelís notion that it must be addicting since he has increased the frequency of his sessions Iíd say that doing something with increasing regularity that you enjoy does not necessarily mean that one is addicted for the reasons I detailed early. What it does signify is that Michael is careless in his use of the term addiction. If Michael feels that he canít control his use of moassel then he should not use it.

I will suggest that if one is to make an informed decision about tobacco consumption in any form (save food) a little bit of research and critical thinking into the risk factors and the meaning of addiction is called for and such inquiry has to be a bit more involved then merely repeating misused terms or mainstream media citings of studies without a contrasting view point.

For starters Iíd suggest taking a few courses dealing the methodological issues involved with public health issues. Next, Iíd suggest checking out the following links:

http://web.archive.org/web/200610221...om/ogmyt.shtml

http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/E...ial%201-4.html

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/passive1.htm

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/who1.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/berlau.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/euwsjets.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/whosmo.htm

After digesting the material above I would heartily recommend http://www.lcolby.com/ as a fantastic resource for those capable of rational thought on smoking and the desire to learn a bit about the public health and policy issues in question. Those that are still in more info can ask for additional references.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

nicotine is addicting but its more like caffeine than what happens with cigs, with cigs its all the additives that make it super addictive.

you have a metal addiction as apposed to a physical addiction probably. i would smoke every day if i can but some times i cant and o well, i am usually ok with it, i want to but i get over it

-matt
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

i wouldn't be surprised if some one said it wasn't addicting because it has lower nicotine than cigs, but its still nicotine.

thats weird cuz thats how i am now, we started at the same time and gradually increased over the same amount of time
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnphoto View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if some one said it wasn't addicting because it has lower nicotine than cigs, but its still nicotine.

thats weird cuz thats how i am now, we started at the same time and gradually increased over the same amount of time
since aug ive went from 3 bowls constantly every day to 2 now, some times just one and with it being summer i am cutting back to 1-3 bowls probably just a few times a week tops

-matt
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I can stop and start anytime I desire, and that goes for anything. Have not been addicted in my life.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
It seems that the real issue here is what exactly is substance addiction. One is often said to be addicted to something when that substance/activity/thing is seen as somehow negative and yet enjoyable enough to become habitual. As such, if one discovers enjoyment in some substance/activity/thing viewed as a vice it is described as addictive. This how people are frequently described as being addicted to fat laden foods, gambling, alcohol, video games, the internet, tobacco, adrenaline, sex, chocolate or what have you. The problem is that what is commonly referred to as addiction is clinically not accurate and like so many terms addiction has entered into popular usage and is abused for political/cultural/religious ends by people that either donít know or donít care what the term actually means.

In psychopharmacological circles addiction is correctly thought of in terms of the use of psychoactive substances to which the user becomes dependant upon to such an extent that his obsession with the substance dominates his conduct to the extreme detriment of his health, ability to act reasonably and social well being . Other aspects of addiction are:
1) an extremely high probability of the need for professional medical care to terminate use of the substance
2) an extremely high rate of the addict resuming consumption of the substance without close, professional supervision and medical intervention
3) Continued use resulting in catastrophic health consequences being a near certainty in the mid term or sooner
4) debilitating psychological and physical conditions arising in the addict during withdraw from the substance

Clearly by the standards mentioned above tobacco is far less problematic in terms of addiction then almost any illegal substance. This should be obvious given that the vast majority of all tobacco consumers world wide have perfectly normal and productive lives while the same canít be said of consumers of illegal substances. While it is undeniable that heavy consumers of tobacco develop a consumption patter that demonstrates a dependance and some of the negative attributes mentioned above it is also true even heavy smokers continue to lead productive, normal lives while the same can rarely be said of alcoholics and habitual users of illegal substances.

It should also be pointed out that ex-smokers far out number smokers in every single Occidental nation and that in excess of 90% of them quit smoking without professional counseling or medical assistance of any sort which again is a radical point of departure from virtually all other substances traditionally viewed as addictive. If one becomes familiar with the physiology of withdraw from other substances traditional viewed as additive one will notice that the effects are far more traumatic then those typically experienced by people attempting to cease using tobacco. One will also point out that unlike addicts dependant upon controlled and illegal substances or alcoholics tobacco users face far less likelihood of suffering debilitating disease as well as far less drastic reductions in life expectancy.

The crux of all these points is that all of the hysterical condemnations of the addictiveness of nicotine being far worse then all the various substances I canít mention here are utterly without foundation in fact.

With respect to Michaelís notion that it must be addicting since he has increased the frequency of his sessions Iíd say that doing something with increasing regularity that you enjoy does not necessarily mean that one is addicted for the reasons I detailed early. What it does signify is that Michael is careless in his use of the term addiction. If Michael feels that he canít control his use of moassel then he should not use it.

I will suggest that if one is to make an informed decision about tobacco consumption in any form (save food) a little bit of research and critical thinking into the risk factors and the meaning of addiction is called for and such inquiry has to be a bit more involved then merely repeating misused terms or mainstream media citings of studies without a contrasting view point.

For starters Iíd suggest taking a few courses dealing the methodological issues involved with public health issues. Next, Iíd suggest checking out the following links:

http://web.archive.org/web/200610221...om/ogmyt.shtml

http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/E...ial%201-4.html

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/passive1.htm

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/who1.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/berlau.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/euwsjets.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/whosmo.htm

After digesting the material above I would heartily recommend http://www.lcolby.com/ as a fantastic resource for those capable of rational thought on smoking and the desire to learn a bit about the public health and policy issues in question. Those that are still in more info can ask for additional references.

Thank you so much Hajo. Very well put. Great links I checked each one out.
Its not that I CAN'T control it. I was just curious of everyone's opinion on hookah addiction. Its pretty much 50/50 it seems with some viewpoints contradicting others.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yea, i seem to have surges of craving hookah. Like for a month ill smoke every day, then the next month i will smoek once a week. Same goes for caffeine, im a big energy drink guy. Sometimes i will drink 2 a day for a week, then the next week i deal with the headaches for a day and drink water without any caffeine intake. I guess i like the feeling of getting a big rush or buzz, something that wont exist if you use it habitually. I know to stop using caffeine when im having it just to not get a headache and to wake me up. Same with nicotine, i mean its kinda nice getting a buzz off of hookah hookah tobacco every once in a while because of my tolerance going down.

now that i think of it, same goes for alcohol. Before a big party, i will drink the day before just to get my tolerance up for beer pong and such. But if i went to that party without drinking the day before, i would be hugging the toilet all night.

I find it quite interesting how humans can change their cravings for whatever it is, just by knowing that it will be that much better if you lower or heighten your tolerance for something. I dont think that would classify as an addiction, just periodic tides of cravings and fastings of whatever you use.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Thank you so much Hajo. Very well put. Great links I checked each one out.
Its not that I CAN'T control it. I was just curious of everyone's opinion on hookah addiction. Its pretty much 50/50 it seems with some viewpoints contradicting others.
I am glad you liked what I had to say. Basically I just think it's important to be careful what terms we use and remember that ideas have consequences! Still, when you smoke i'd suggest not inhaling, not smoking more then an hour a day and try going without for a few weeks if you think it's becoming a craving. Basically moderation is the key. Check out the Colby link it's got a ton of great stuff.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:32 AM
gigdarling25
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to gigdarling25

yeah.. i mean it can become a habit.. but i haven't smoked in about a week and i dont feel any cravings whatsoever.

Habits & Addictions are two different things.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

If I'm at my apartment and not sleeping, there is about a 75% chance at any given time that there is a Hookah going. Atleast 1 bowl a day on the real busy days, 2 on normal days, and 3+ on weekends.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Yeah what I hate is that I have a hella sore throat & its so hard to smoke haha. I got a huge order in, yet can't try anything out
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
cockerham3
Hookah Nut

addiction is a state of mind... get over it. you can quit
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Yeah what I hate is that I have a hella sore throat & its so hard to smoke haha. I got a huge order in, yet can't try anything out
smoke mint man! SMOKE MINT! make sure you get better before you recieve your trade from me!
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Haha thats just it! I got 250g of Mizo Mint & 250g of Nakhla Chocomint!!!
I tried it last night, half mizo / half chocomint. But I still couldn't take more than 10 hits. Unfortunately But it was soooooo tasty.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

I used to smoke 2-3 times a day and about 6 days a week. Then I quit, and I haven't smoked any tobacco in about 6-7 months. Quitting was pretty easy for me, I didn't really have to do anything out of the ordinary to quit completely. I guess it may be addicting for some people, and I don't think I'm one of them.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
I used to smoke 2-3 times a day and about 6 days a week. Then I quit, and I haven't smoked any tobacco in about 6-7 months. Quitting was pretty easy for me, I didn't really have to do anything out of the ordinary to quit completely. I guess it may be addicting for some people, and I don't think I'm one of them.
i am an extremely firm believer that nicotine by it self (even in pure tobacco) is on the level of caffeine, but the 99 other % of what is in cigs is what really is addicting

dip wasnt hard for me to quit, i did it inadvertently, given i will probably pick it up again this summer since i cannot smoke hookah as much but i never do it more than 1 time a day at my most

-matt
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

"In medical terminology, an addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and may occur along with physical dependence, as in drug addiction. When the drug or substance on which someone is dependent is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms." ((from wikipedia)).

I wouldn't really call hookah an ADDICTION, so much as just a habit, because 99.99% of hookah smokers don't NEED it to function. But i would say that many of us smoke hookah habitually. I PERSONALLY have never really experienced it as my daily use varies GREATLY... but i do recognize the habits of my smoking hookah (such as when i'm working on the computer, or when i was living at my parents house and they'd get grumpy so i'd go outside to smoke to relax and calm down).

HOWEVER, when a buddy of mine started getting into smoking hookah often with me, he said that, on days when he wasn't smoking hookah, he had minor cravings for it...

p.s. I really enjoyed Hajo's post... very informative, as always haha. I've never read a post from him that WASN'T enlightening and intellectual lol.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook