Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

All hookah bowl types

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Nima
Deleted Per User Request

Default All hookah bowl types

I'm writing an article on different hookah bowls, their specific features and advantages/disadvantages.

What came to my mind was dividing the bowls by size, clay / no-clay , Ceramic, stainless steel

Any comments?
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
reality-
Banned

Default Re: All hookah bowl types

my opinion.. ceramic is worthless.. It burns too easy! clay is the shit!
in tunisia the standard is steel bowls.. really strange.. havent tried too much of it but they smoke nakhla in it with normal good results..
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you have your main shapes of egyptian (with the mod bowl lumped under it), phunnels, and then the more traditional tombac bowls.

materials
glass (pyrex/borosilica)-more for looks
ceramic- there is no such thing as a clay bowl, it is unglazed ceramic and yes it is a big difference, if you had a clay bowl (unfired) it would not last more than a session or 2. once clay is fired it becomes ceramic, you have the difference of what type of clay it was that will determine some about the bowl (like the phunnel bowls use a special clay).
metal- easy to make and looks cool but doesnt work well, metal dissipates heat to fast

-matt
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

dont forget glass bowls
and novelty bowls like the multi-head bowls, the combo bowl, and the divider bowl
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
you have your main shapes of egyptian (with the mod bowl lumped under it), phunnels, and then the more traditional tombac bowls.

materials
glass (pyrex/borosilica)-more for looks
ceramic- there is no such thing as a clay bowl, it is unglazed ceramic and yes it is a big difference, if you had a clay bowl (unfired) it would not last more than a session or 2. once clay is fired it becomes ceramic, you have the difference of what type of clay it was that will determine some about the bowl (like the phunnel bowls use a special clay).
metal- easy to make and looks cool but doesnt work well, metal dissipates heat to fast

-matt
The Phunnel and vortex Bowls and some of the " ceramic Bowls" use a white clay similar to Koalin which is used in the porcelain Industries Ceramic means a mixture of Clay and metal (normaly oxides) which is then fired a a very high heat. The Glazed Clay and unglazed Clay bowls is made from red clay and looks like a dried out version of the original hence the naming "Clay" Bowl though it is fired in kiln but not at sutch a high tempreture as the White Clay. (btw the red color of the Clay come from Iron oxides in the clay)It is also known as Earthenware. The products of the White clay is more oftern than not made with mass production mouldswhereas the red clay versions are more handmade on a potterswheel See the difference in thickness in the bowls. The red clay versions tend to have more imperfections and no two are exactly alike whereas the white clay version all are uniform in shape and size.

I think this thread would be very helpfull for the Smokers so that they can know what to look for in a good bowl. Size depth Hole patern ect.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
The Phunnel and vortex Bowls and some of the " ceramic Bowls" use a white clay similar to Koalin which is used in the porcelain Industries Ceramic means a mixture of Clay and metal (normaly oxides) which is then fired a a very high heat. The Glazed Clay and unglazed Clay bowls is made from red clay and looks like a dried out version of the original hence the naming "Clay" Bowl though it is fired in kiln but not at sutch a high tempreture as the White Clay. (btw the red color of the Clay come from Iron oxides in the clay)It is also known as Earthenware. The products of the White clay is more oftern than not made with mass production mouldswhereas the red clay versions are more handmade on a potterswheel See the difference in thickness in the bowls. The red clay versions tend to have more imperfections and no two are exactly alike whereas the white clay version all are uniform in shape and size.

I think this thread would be very helpfull for the Smokers so that they can know what to look for in a good bowl. Size depth Hole patern ect.
see every time i talk to people in ceramics about clay/ceramic/porcelain and try to research it my self the real definitions come to
-clay=the material used to make anything in the ceramics field
-ceramic= clay once it has been fired
-porcelain= ceramic, no specific definition other than usually white and high quality but no set standard for the term

as to the size/shape/etc of a bowl it really comes down to personal preferences, tobacco smoked, coals used, etc. i am an avid fan of the mod bowl where as a lot of people here hate them, some people like very shallow and wide bowls, some people like deep and thin bowls, etc, it just comes down to everyone's individual set up and what works for them. over all i would say a bowl that has a decent width and a medium depth is ideal over all. it also comes to a bigger bowl will smoke for longer but depending on its design it will vary how the flavors are. on a tangiers bowl packed really tight with nakhla it will smoke 2 rounds of coals for me but the 2nd round of coals the flavor gets lost a bit where as with tangiers the 2nd round doesnt lose the flavor as bad.

-matt
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

just a quick one, I always like shallower bowls. its too easy to burn the top whithout touching the bottom on something deep, like the vortex i have
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Something that most people have not realised about clay bowls vs ceramic is the thickness which helps keep the heat. Clay bowls heat up much more even than ceramic (eg. mod bowls) bowls in my experience and dont need the same amount of charcoal.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:20 AM
caasi
Hookah Newbie

interesting looking forward to reading the article
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Nima
Deleted Per User Request

thank you all. I've written the article. I will post it here in a week or so for inputs on how to make it better.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook