Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What do you think of this Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: What do you think of this Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post
None really... I'll be honest, I have no idea how to tell.
Just that it's a common plated chamber and the metal seems cheap (but it might just be because I haven't shined it).

If you have the hookah in your hands, how can you tell then?

But what actually makes Mya better? If they're both not washable and have the same diameter/pull, is there really a difference between cheap and branded?

While it is possible that the egyptian style rig you currently own is common chamber and plated it may be that you are misunderstanding what that means.

Check out the sticky that explains many of the differences and that will help you to identify different styles.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
While it is possible that the egyptian style rig you currently own is common chamber and plated it may be that you are misunderstanding what that means.

Check out the sticky that explains many of the differences and that will help you to identify different styles.
Well the different metal. I'm not really good at determining what material something is made of.

Also, the shape. But what prevents a Chinese manufacturer from giving it an Egyptian look?

One of the things it said about Egyptian is the good purge (which is why i referenced it)
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Well the different metal. I'm not really good at determining what material something is made of.

Also, the shape. But what prevents a Chinese manufacturer from giving it an Egyptian look?

One of the things it said about Egyptian is the good purge (which is why i referenced it)
My first Egyptian has a terrible purge and my KM has an "ok" purge about as good as my solid brass Syrian. It varies drastically from rig to rig and no particular style will guarantee a good or bad purge. You will hear about KMs that purge in a half breath and some that take a lot more than that. There is no set rule. Hell I have smoked form chinese rigs that had great purges and I smoked from a couple MZs that had purges to put my KM to shame.

Purge is only truly necessary if you burn the tobacco or if the coal flavor presents it's self. I rarely ever purge any of my rigs nowadays.

The major difference is the manufacturing process. that is why I keep sayig to read the sticky that is designed to answer exactly this kind of question. Have you done that yet?
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
that is why I keep sayig to read the sticky that is designed to answer exactly this kind of question. Have you done that yet?
Yes I have, this is what I got from the sticky:

Quote:

So now that you say that purge isn't very accurate, it's those two.
(That's what I understood from the sticky)

Oh and I forgot, pull too. But really most of the pull is based on user set up (proper packing, hose, water, etc)

Like I said in that post, I can't really differentiate metals, shape should be easy to copy, and can't really test out pull when buying a hookah... am I missing something?
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

Ager?
I could have sworn scoop was saying very good things about them. If I remember right, Agers are syrian, but I might be wrong.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Kind of looks like a lamp converted into a hookah but to each his own .

To turn a hookah into a lamp would be pretty cool though......
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
likespaceships
Hookah Nut

Quote:
But what actually makes Mya better? If they're both not washable and have the same diameter/pull, is there really a difference between cheap and branded?
Well the one chinese hose doesn't feel like leather and I know my mya hose is so that would make the chinese hose cheaper. Also the metal coil inside the mya hoses is wrapped in plastic which doesn't exactly make it washable but it won't rust as quickly. I'm not sure if the chinese coil is wrapped too. Also the wood tip on my chinese hose is plastic and the mya is actual wood. The chinese also has a noticeable tighter draw compared to the mya hoses.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

So unless I smoke the hookah or I'm a pro at differentiating metal types/qualities I can't really know if it's good?
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Fall
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post

Apparently anything that is good and Egyptian is called at some point Israeli (The Pyramids, Sinai Peninsula, Falafel, and now Nakhla !!)
don't forget falafel, but thats not necessarily Egyptian.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook