Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah 2 go?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah 2 go?

So here is were im at. Ive been thinking about starting a small hookah bar here in Fargo ND. There is quite a bit of red tape with all the "clean air acts" and what not. So im on to plan b. Going to local coffie shops/bars and seting up hookah say on the weekend for a fee. This seems to be a lot more economical way to go as well as less hoops to jump through. I am just lookin for some feedback, good or bad.

Thanks "hpers"
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hookah 2 go?

i m slightly confused...care to clarify?

So you turned a business venture...into....a ... lets set up hookahs in random places?

Whats the point?

Also...how can you set up a hookah in a coffee shop....they are governed by smoking regulations too...
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

Ok so i get in touch with local bars/coffee shops were there are smoking areas and see if they are open to the idea of me and my partner coming in and offering hookah. The advantage would be, (here in Fargo you don't see hookah) it would peak peoples interest and curiosity..B the customers would be in there set for 45mins to a hour and C...the establesment would be getting a persentage of the "fee" also. No cost to the bar /coffee shop just more coustomers there for longer and they make money
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
annual
Hookah Nut

Percentage is spelled with a c not s. Where is spelled W-H-E-R-E, were is we-are. How old are you and why do you think this will actually work?

You'd need a whole hookah lounge stash of coals, shisha and pipes to supply to people. Where do you plan to light your coals (last time I checked starbucks doesn't have burners) It wont work let it go.

Plus when I like to smoke I like to chill and relax not be outside sitting on uncomfortable chairs of a coffee restaurant.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by annual View Post
Percentage is spelled with a c not s. Where is spelled W-H-E-R-E, were is we-are. How old are you and why do you think this will actually work?

You'd need a whole hookah lounge stash of coals, shisha and pipes to supply to people. Where do you plan to light your coals (last time I checked starbucks doesn't have burners) It wont work let it go.

Plus when I like to smoke I like to chill and relax not be outside sitting on uncomfortable chairs of a coffee restaurant.

were is were; we're is we are.

Examples:

They were on fire.

We're on fire!!!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
annual
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
were is were; we're is we are.

Examples:

They were on fire.

We're on fire!!!!
I was just reading his sentence and correcting his misused word. He needed to say where instead of were. Looks like I messed up in doing so. lol
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by annual View Post
I was just reading his sentence and correcting his misused word. He needed to say where instead of were. Looks like I messed up in doing so. lol
And I did the same for you ^_^.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

Wow thanks for the help. I had no idea spelling was a requirement for this form. If we are handing out personal jabs than your profile pic is well....its fing stupid get a real hair cut loser.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghookah View Post
Wow thanks for the help. I had no idea spelling was a requirement for this form. If we are handing out personal jabs than your profile pic is well....its fing stupid get a real hair cut loser.
The funny thing is; I was defending you...by attacking YOUR ATTACKER.

But ok, I ll take that.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

haha you guys are funny. Just kiss and makeup
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

lol i cant stay mad im sorry bradedup
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

although you might want to glance at the Be kind, rewind! thread...just a suggestion!
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Gizmo
Hookah Newbie

I think we need to all calm down. Let's not get all riled up for nothing. We're all civilized here, and should act as such.

Now, onto your question. I think it's more than a matter of logistics, you need to make sure there are no legal aspects you're not seeing. There may be licensing you need to do things like that, as well as a health card/health certification to run something like that.

All in all, if you're really willing to find out what the law says about hosting some kind of bar, and then going out to get the required licenses, then go for it. And make sure you have some reading material on or about the hookah and smoking the hookah (i.e. enlighten them on the dangers of smoking hookah as apposed to smoking cigarettes and the cultural history and relevance of the hookah).
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

Thanks GIZMO and yes the main reason for looking into other angles would be because of the licensing issues and the local and state requirements. This seems like a very viable way to go considering that there is a number of establishments that ive contacted that are pretty open to the idea and willing to take a chance.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

The only big problem I can foresee is other patrons not being welcoming to the presence of hookahs and therefore not bringing their business to the establishment anymore. So, the extra income from the percentage of the fee, would in fact, be less than the money they'd lose from unhappy patrons.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

ok ladies break it up
brad was defending you by the way...
i know im not a mod but people need to stop being such jerks...
hookah is a relaxing hobby
and arguing is stressful
so relax or stay quiet
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeliFeliWooo View Post
ok ladies break it up
brad was defending you by the way...
i know im not a mod but people need to stop being such jerks...
hookah is a relaxing hobby
and arguing is stressful
so relax or stay quiet
I agree. Let's all just brainstorm pros, cons, and ways to help figure this out.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

glad the pissing match has ended

any way, its a good idea... on paper i am not sure if the people at a coffee shop randomly would be up for it, also there is a decent amount of added mess the establishment you will be at needs to be aware of (the coal ash that will be blown all over , possible burns, possible broken glass, possible spilled hookah water which does leave a strong smell, etc)

when it comes down to it i dont think you will get out of any red tape other than dealing with the building stuff but honestly you probably will have a better income with your own shop and just deal with the red tape. if you set it up as a smoking lounge i think you should be able to get around some of the laws and if not set it up as a club where membership costs what ever once hookah session costs and then they get a "free" session then after that they can get a hookah session for your set price, membership is open to the public, then you are no longer a public institution you are a private club and you can do what ever the hell you want in the building

-matt
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Ki2656
Hookah Newbie

seems not that bad of an idea to me , ask around and see if people in your area actually want hookah not just ur friends and family , in the local bars / cafes seems like a good place to start
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

the only thing i see going wrong is the whole coal situation
ive seen a few lounges close because of coal regulations like transporting them...
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quite honestly, the best way to get people familiar with hookah is to start a lounge. Before the nearby hookah lounge opened up, no one knew what one was, or mistook it for something else. Now, i know many people who have never seen me smoke and they are familiar with it. I would look to buy a shop somewhere with a street front patio so people would become more familiar with the sight of them and maybe want to try it themselves. As far as the "red tape" goes, just check and see what you can and cannot do in Fargo, and just make sure not to do it, or get a license for it. To me, you sound like your in a great situation to start a lounge, your in a city that is not familiar with hookahs and by starting a lounge, not only will it educate the community, but you would make a killer because there is no or little competition.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

So much hate lol, there are other ways tell him why it's a bad idea.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
kinghookah
Hookah Newbie

I guess the main thing hear is that the space for the lounge would have to be a "stand alone building" meaning it would not be able to be connected to any other building. Thats the problem. To find a building in this area that's stand alone and not 3000 sq ft is close to imposable. other than that getting the licensing is actually the easy part. There are plenty of really nice shops and store fronts avalible for cheap. The smoke can not infultrate any other area and acording to the city the only way to make that happen is to have the "stand alone building".
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghookah View Post
I guess the main thing hear is that the space for the lounge would have to be a "stand alone building" meaning it would not be able to be connected to any other building. Thats the problem. To find a building in this area that's stand alone and not 3000 sq ft is close to imposable. other than that getting the licensing is actually the easy part. There are plenty of really nice shops and store fronts avalible for cheap. The smoke can not infultrate any other area and acording to the city the only way to make that happen is to have the "stand alone building".
thats weird, the lounge we go to here is in one of the strip malls with a gun store on one side, their 2 fronts (lounge and store) then 2 or 3 others, one of them being a mini mart kind of place. i dont think there is any penetration onto the other stores. but if it is the law o well, kinda stupid though.

theres gota be some little stand alone ship you can find

-matt
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
thats weird, the lounge we go to here is in one of the strip malls with a gun store on one side, their 2 fronts (lounge and store) then 2 or 3 others, one of them being a mini mart kind of place. i dont think there is any penetration onto the other stores. but if it is the law o well, kinda stupid though.

theres gota be some little stand alone ship you can find

-matt
It's the same here... In more than one lounge. One is directly next door to a Chinese buffet in a strip.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook