Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

home made shisha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Default home made shisha

ok i know ive seen more than my fair share of these posts... however i am truly going to try to create my own shisha... me and some friends have come up with some ideas and later i may post our plans/recipee... however i was wondering if anyone had and tips to make this process any easier on me... since i dont have much time to devote to my endeaver...

also if anyone knows the exact brand of glycerine or type or can explain to me what im looking for that would help too...

i have some of the ingredients allready such as mollasses, honey, and some of the flavors im planning to try to employ...

i also might substitute mollasses for something i remembered from basic cooking... but any tips would be greatly appreciated...

i plan on starting my quest within the next two weeks or so.. ( gotta get a pay check :X)
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: home made shisha

I am also working on my own shisha. I mad some good smoking shisha using glycerin but the taste was no so great. food flavourings will not work in any case because what you need is smell. The key to make shisha is glycerin. Its too easy. you just take tobacco add glycerin and you have shisha. Making the shisha have flavour is the difficult part. I tried flavourings, extracts and some more things but they didnt work. What you need is something with a strong smell even if it tastes nasty. I tasted AF and AW shisha and it tastes nasty. Trust me it, doesnt have to taste good, just smell good

My tips :
GLycerin is a must
No food flavourings or extracts
Try strong smelling substances
Soak the tobacco the the aroma you want and leave it for some time
keep the thickness of the glycerin high

Old October 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Is it worth all that effort? What is the expense of someone actually producing their own 250 grams of a Shisha Flavor compared to just buying it?

Or it is just the thrill of producing your own?

I would try it in a minute if it was easy to do and the flavors could be reproduced.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

using pipe tobacco is your best bet. get some cheap stuff, i got a 12 ounce bag for 12 bucks and its huge. make sure you wash it otherwise the buzz will be lethal. not literally but you know. just put it in a ziplock container and drown it in hot water and let it sit, change the water every day till it stops changing colors. and my personal experience, dont use molasses, or if you do dont use very much at all. when you strain the tobacco for the last time put it in a frying pan and cook it over low heat untill its dry, then stir in enough honey and glycerine to make it look goopy like regular shisha. add your flavor last so you dont cook it out.

thats all i got, my flavor didnt come through much for my first batch and the last 3 i made im letting sit in their juices. i tried to make them coffee flavored with real coffee grounds since coffee is supposed to stand up to high heat and retain flavor. even if you dont get any flavor though its still cool to see a big fluffy cloud you know you made

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn
Is it worth all that effort? What is the expense of someone actually producing their own 250 grams of a Shisha Flavor compared to just buying it?

I would try it in a minute if it was easy to do and the flavors could be reproduced.
i used 50 grams of pipe tobacco and i have about the same volume as 250 grams of shisha, maybe more. im pretty sure it weighs over that too, like around 300. ill weigh it up one of these days and post up what it is.
and yeah the thrill is a nice bonus
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

for me i really like to over come challenges... and if i can make something good then why not share it? plus telling friends that are smoking it... "I made this" is pretty impressive... if i can get it down to an art... it should save money plus ill be able to make w/e flavors that will work and that i want...
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Well if you come up with a recipe, I hope you will share it. Might make for a good...what can I do today project.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

if i do i will share most of the recipe... however i always have to keep some secrets
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

How did I know that would be the response....hehehehe
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbpredator
if i do i will share most of the recipe... however i always have to keep some secrets
You don't need to keep secrets unless you plan on making it and selling it. Which as I had planned is way harder to do than I thought so it's unlikely but I will try this out... I want to make buttered popcorn flavored.
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Buttered popcorn and then lay in some HH chocolate...that would be awesome!
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

i mean i will share a full recipe... one that will enable you to make your own just by following the recipe... however i will hide any other improvements i find/ tricks i have planned for my own recipe
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

i have always tried to write a recipe down to share but i always end up just tossing things in until it looks right. i had my measurements for glycerine and honey all written down but 3 weeks later the tobacco was looking dry so i added more. then 3 weeks later it had absorbed more so i added more to get it goopy again. such a struggle to keep it straightened out..
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

I disagree. Glycerin is not "a must" but an option.It is mostly the contemporary and/or domestic brands that use glycerin. Traditional shisha,dating back centuries to present, has been made using moalasses and or honey( see nahkla,fakher, havana ect.). the hard part is finding moalasses that is not overpowering in flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC
I am also working on my own shisha. I mad some good smoking shisha using glycerin but the taste was no so great. food flavourings will not work in any case because what you need is smell. The key to make shisha is glycerin. Its too easy. you just take tobacco add glycerin and you have shisha. Making the shisha have flavour is the difficult part. I tried flavourings, extracts and some more things but they didnt work. What you need is something with a strong smell even if it tastes nasty. I tasted AF and AW shisha and it tastes nasty. Trust me it, doesnt have to taste good, just smell good

My tips :
GLycerin is a must
No food flavourings or extracts
Try strong smelling substances
Soak the tobacco the the aroma you want and leave it for some time
keep the thickness of the glycerin high

Old October 20th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

hrm so should i nix mollasses all together? and go with honey and something to add a liquidy consistancy to the tobacco?
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

The difficult part is giving your tobacco a flavour that will stay in the smoke
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-all-day
using pipe tobacco is your best bet. get some cheap stuff, i got a 12 ounce bag for 12 bucks and its huge. make sure you wash it otherwise the buzz will be lethal. not literally but you know. just put it in a ziplock container and drown it in hot water and let it sit, change the water every day till it stops changing colors. and my personal experience, dont use molasses, or if you do dont use very much at all. when you strain the tobacco for the last time put it in a frying pan and cook it over low heat untill its dry, then stir in enough honey and glycerine to make it look goopy like regular shisha. add your flavor last so you dont cook it out.

thats all i got, my flavor didnt come through much for my first batch and the last 3 i made im letting sit in their juices. i tried to make them coffee flavored with real coffee grounds since coffee is supposed to stand up to high heat and retain flavor. even if you dont get any flavor though its still cool to see a big fluffy cloud you know you made

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn

i used 50 grams of pipe tobacco and i have about the same volume as 250 grams of shisha, maybe more. im pretty sure it weighs over that too, like around 300. ill weigh it up one of these days and post up what it is.
and yeah the thrill is a nice bonus

I was at a lebanese deli the other day buying some shisha and noticed that they actually started carrying Sultan brand whole leaf tobacco specifically for making shisha.
needless to say, next time I try to make some shisha, I'll be using this stuff! If you have a middle eastern market in your area that carries Sultan products you should have them order some. I would also be happy to pick some up and ship to anyone interested.Anyway, the more stuff I buy from these guys, the cheaper my shisha tends to get!!
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

i have middle eastern markets around but they are and hour+ drive. if you want to send a little sample of that stuff or w/e i would be down to try it
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Anyone got the tobbaco to taste like something other that tobacco? :O
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-all-day
i have middle eastern markets around but they are and hour+ drive. if you want to send a little sample of that stuff or w/e i would be down to try it
i haven't actually picked up any for myself and honestly am not really sure when I will. However, if your really interested, I would be happy to pick some up and ship it to you. PM me if you like and we could work out the details. It comes in bundles that appear to be about a pound or two. Thats alot of shisha!!
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:54 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC
Anyone got the tobbaco to taste like something other that tobacco? :O
the first batch i made i added vanilla extract, cherry and almond extract to the dried washed tobacco and let it sit in that for a day or so, then added the tobacco to some heated honey and glycerine. at first when i light it up it tastes like you are smoking plastic but that only lasts about a minute or two. once the smoke thickens up it tastes like coco pebbles and raw tobacco. its weird because i have to use an extra half a 33mm coal on a bowl that usually almost gets too hot with even one 33mm i am going to try a bit of that coffee batch i made either later tonight or some time tomorrow, hopefully it comes through

o yeah and one of the last batches i made that im waiting on i added no coffee to because it already had such a rich smell, but i added a nice dash of some ground cardimom and it smells even better!
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I have 25 grams of tobacco soaking in vanilla extract but the smell is not very promissing. I tasted the tobacco and it tastes good but smell is not great. I'll probably smoke it tonigh to test it

Cheers
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

ive got a couple of ideas for sweetening... besids plain jane honey... im going to try to infuse the tobacco with the flavoring and sweetness... and i think my idea just might work
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Today I smoked smoked a batch of Forest Fruits i made, using IcedTea powder and it was actually good. Smoked well, took 6-7 minutes to start clouding but it did. The taste was actually good but very subtle. If i didnt know what it was i wouldnt be able to tell. But it was my 1st flavourful shisha

I had the tobacco soaking for about 2 weeks in a water with icedtea powder and i changed it every 2 days. The least five days i removed all the liquid and let it dry. today i added Glycerin and smoked it.
I think if a added the glycerin and let it sit for 1-2 days, it would probably be better but i wouldnt be able to try it till next week cz i dont have time for experiments on week days.
Anybody achived anything without all the hassle and waiting i went through?
Cheers
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

im still waiting on my paycheck... then im going to start trying my experiments... ive got a good idea i think we will see if i do find out anything i will post results... and what not...
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Update on my experiments

I have the tobacco soaking in "essences" which are used in cakes and stuff. these have a very strong smell and are very promissing. i am going to smoke them 2morow and let you know the result.
Am a bit excited about these as they seem to be the real deal. I have chocholate and strawberry and smells damn good

Cheers
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook