Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
portelli's Avatar
portelli
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Default AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

So heres the story.... Ive been smokin AF mint for yrs.... its my go to flavour... love mixing it, love it even more on its own, at least i thought i did. This past week no matter wot i try, how i try it tastes like rubbish... to be exact, it tastes like its overly strong...almost burning, however its not... the flavour comes through so strong that it burns my taste buds. Obviously this comes as a massive shock as just a week earlier i was enjoyin my reliable, sexy smooth mint.

So, im open to suggestions... how am i gonna fix this

i can say 100% that im not over / under packing the head

Coal management and selection isnt an issue...

Im setting everything up near perfectly and as i said before ive never had this issue before. Also... used diff AF shisha which has worked perfectly using the same set up methods.

Im using a 1kg tub of AF mint... should i perhaps mix it and let it air out abit

Im interested to see if anyone else has had the same problem with AF mint or any other flavours

Portelli.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

AF mint had always been a extreme mint for me....

until i tried Nakhla Mizo Mint.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

IDK...I bought a tub of it today.

It doesn't seem AS powerful as it used to be last year. Or...IDK maybe I'm analyzing too much? haha I remember it being VERY strong, now its not as much. Bit of a downer for me
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Dunkel's Avatar
Dunkel
Status: Offline
Bad Motherf^&*er!

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West by God Virginia
Posts: 10,708
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

AF Mint is the worst mint flavored shisha tobacco I've ever smoked.
__________________
Tangiers =
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
AF Mint is the worst mint flavored shisha tobacco I've ever smoked.
WHAAAATTTT?!

Its like, one of my favorite shishas of ALL TIME.

How dare you Dunkel. How dare you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Ah but I see what you're saying OP.

IDK, got it today, seems to scratch up my throat like all the other AFs. But, I've noticed that the cut is a bit leafier, like its not AS finely shredded like it used to (THANK GOD). I'm letting it air out. Maybe that will help with how this shisha is scratching up my throat (not from the shisha burning).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

I would mix it up and air it out a bit..
but its possible that the cut is a bit different.. I would try packing it a bit tighter. thats what I do with AF.. so not sprinling it and have it fluffy but pack it tight and alittle bit from the rim .. then using a bit coals.. then in the beginning Af itckles some in the throat.. then just add more heat and have patience..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
I would mix it up and air it out a bit..
but its possible that the cut is a bit different.. I would try packing it a bit tighter. thats what I do with AF.. so not sprinling it and have it fluffy but pack it tight and alittle bit from the rim .. then using a bit coals.. then in the beginning Af itckles some in the throat.. then just add more heat and have patience..
I'm happy to report it doesn't scratch up my throat as bad as the other AFs. It starts to go away after a while into the session. IDK, been airing the sucker out for 3 hours. I think its ready. I'm gonna light a hookah bowl of it ^_^
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
Ah but I see what you're saying OP.

IDK, got it today, seems to scratch up my throat like all the other AFs. But, I've noticed that the cut is a bit leafier, like its not AS finely shredded like it used to (THANK GOD). I'm letting it air out. Maybe that will help with how this shisha is scratching up my throat (not from the shisha burning).
I have seen you write this many times before about the thickeling throat ..
I really do belivie that this is something you can change by adding a bit more heat and just having a bit of patience.. this is the same for me and I have smoked alot of AF ..
there was even a while I smoked every boewl for like 5 mins and just stopped cus I got mad cus It tasted strange and thickled my throat so it was uncomfortable.. but now I have learned that this is just how AF is before it really gets going and suddenly all the unpleasent feelings go away and voila! you can take a loooong hit and not feel anything and thats when the taste and clouds come!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
I have seen you write this many times before about the thickeling throat ..
I really do belivie that this is something you can change by adding a bit more heat and just having a bit of patience.. this is the same for me and I have smoked alot of AF ..
there was even a while I smoked every boewl for like 5 mins and just stopped cus I got mad cus It tasted strange and thickled my throat so it was uncomfortable.. but now I have learned that this is just how AF is before it really gets going and suddenly all the unpleasent feelings go away and voila! you can take a loooong hit and not feel anything and thats when the taste and clouds come!
Well, I don't wanna add on another coal since I'm using 1/3 of a stick of exoticas. One more is just wayyy too much. I use windcovers on and off.

I tried packing it a bit tight in a phunnel earlier, HELPED A LOT! The tickling sensation goes away pretty fast. OP, perhaps you should try packing the tobacco tighter? I've noticed it helps out so much. Airing it out for 3 to 4 hours helps a lot too
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

i had noticed when i used to smoke af mint that it would start to not take heat as well as it used to (but i havent smoke it for a while now since ive pretty much stopped smoking AF). af mint was one of my favorite flavors but i just dont like how AF has become and dont want to risk getting bad batches.

i think some dislike the flavor of it because it is more like an altoid than the other mints which are more like a lighter mint leaf which is nice and all but i like the super powerful altoid style mint or the menthol type mint like nakhla has in its normal mint (not a big fan of the mizo mint from the batch i got, not bad/horrid just not my bag)

i would try a touch less heat to see if that helps or even though you say your packing is fine try packing it a bit tighter
-matt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
FeliFeliWooo's Avatar
FeliFeliWooo
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 760
Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

try acclimating it for a few hours
should help
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
AbusiveNapkin
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 337
Send a message via AIM to AbusiveNapkin
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

If it doesn't help, I'll be happy to take it off your hands
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

o i remembered the solution for this


take a quarter, tape it to the box of shisha, throw it in the trash and when some one finds it at least they got a quarter

i hadnt used that one for years, and in regards to very different things so thought i should do it. but honestly i found that AFs quality went down hill in the few months i was smoking it and now that i think about it the mint flavor changed for the worse over that time (aug 08-nov/dec 08)

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Dunkel's Avatar
Dunkel
Status: Offline
Bad Motherf^&*er!

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West by God Virginia
Posts: 10,708
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
o i remembered the solution for this


take a quarter, tape it to the box of shisha, throw it in the trash and when some one finds it at least they got a quarter
I would take it out remove the quarter and throw it back in the trash.
__________________
Tangiers =
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i would try a touch less heat to see if that helps or even though you say your packing is fine try packing it a bit tighter
-matt
this is what ur doing wrong.. in the beginning when it doesnt want to get started and all you can get is a tickling throat.. ADD heat do not remove heat ... trust em man.. try one bowl of this if you still have it left.. add more heat.. have patience.. and a few minutes after you will get it going
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
mattathayde's Avatar
mattathayde
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond/Yorktown VA
Posts: 3,779
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
this is what ur doing wrong.. in the beginning when it doesnt want to get started and all you can get is a tickling throat.. ADD heat do not remove heat ... trust em man.. try one bowl of this if you still have it left.. add more heat.. have patience.. and a few minutes after you will get it going
the tickle i would get when i smoke AF was when it was going really well and wasnt harsh but got this weird feeling when the smoke was really thick

-matt
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
reality-
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 765
Default Re: AF Mint Too Strong...Wait...It Never Used To Be?

hmm.. thats not good.. Ive really never noticed this.
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nakhla Mizo mint vs AF mint? mattathayde Hookah Discussion 29 October 11th, 2009 04:28 AM
cant wait for my new toys to show up fatony612 Hookah Discussion 13 April 23rd, 2009 03:46 AM
Trying to wait patiently for my KM Tookie Hookah Discussion 12 September 4th, 2008 02:54 PM
can't wait for this aftrnoon swawesome Cigars & Pipes Discussion 2 June 23rd, 2008 11:21 AM
how long are you supposed to wait after you put the charcoals on? greenboarder89 Hookah Discussion 6 December 22nd, 2007 10:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.