Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Why is it burning?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Why is it burning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post
Checked for all leaks..

Checked everything individually but also did the ultimate test: (hand on top of bowl = no air)

Edit: you might be right actually.
I tried putting foil on the bowl without poking holes. And I was definitely able to get air.
There was obviously pull but it wasn't that much pull... So it's definitely not airtight.

glazed or unglazed is very easy to differentiate. But I think most people here have glazed bowls whether clay or ceramic.
I meant how can you tell if it's clay? The fact that it's white is a giveaway. But if I had a brown ceramic bowl, would you know hat it's ceramic and not clay?
sounds like your bowl grommet might be a touch to small, i had a similar issue with my bowl

once clay is fired it becomes ceramic, you cannot have glazed clay, and if you dont fire clay and just let it air dry once you get water on it it will start to break down and it is also very weak

-matt
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

so doesn't that mean that a clay bowl is terrible? Since water (from cleaning) or juices from tobacco will break it down?
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
so doesn't that mean that a clay bowl is terrible? Since water (from cleaning) or juices from tobacco will break it down?
no, this is what i am trying to point out, none of the "clay bowls" are clay, they are ceramic because they are fired and there fore stable. they should be called glazed and unglazed. calling the unglazed bowls clay is like calling glass "sand". i guess its a pet peeve but there is a large technical difference, maybe im just being an A-hole though

how ever the unglazed bowl has a chance to pick up flavors and let charred bits to stick in more since the surface is rough and is slightly porous, nothing big, just something to be aware of

-matt
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
He said it correctly... "shisha tobacco"
PWND
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I think the Egyptian style bowls are better at heat transfer than the bowl that came with my MYA. I'm not sure if its the mass of the Egyptian one or a difference in the material its made from but I can pull the bowl off the stem right after finishing up whereas the MYA one I need to let cool down before I can touch it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

i have two clay bowls and they work perfect.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
no, this is what i am trying to point out, none of the "clay bowls" are clay, they are ceramic because they are fired and there fore stable. they should be called glazed and unglazed. calling the unglazed bowls clay is like calling glass "sand". i guess its a pet peeve but there is a large technical difference, maybe im just being an A-hole though

how ever the unglazed bowl has a chance to pick up flavors and let charred bits to stick in more since the surface is rough and is slightly porous, nothing big, just something to be aware of

-matt
OK so this looks like the mod bowl I have: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=987

It seems most people talk about getting/using this bowl (an Egyptian) (besides a phunnel/vortex) - which they apparently, mistakenly call clay:
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=489

And then they have this one, which is like my mod bowl but unglazed: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=493

It seems like the Egyptian one is shiny and glazed as well.
Are you saying only the third one is a good bowl?
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
OK so this looks like the mod bowl I have: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=987

It seems most people talk about getting/using this bowl (an Egyptian) (besides a phunnel/vortex) - which they apparently, mistakenly call clay:

And then they have this one, which is like my mod bowl but unglazed: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=493

it depends who you talk to as to which is a good bowl. i love the glazed mod bowls personally and am not to big on the unglazed bowls. i would happily use a "traditional egyptian" bowl if i got my hands on one that was a size i like but all the ones i have come across when i was shopping for them were to small or shallow/ etc. remember "egyptian bowls" have so many different sizes one egyptian bowl may be great for some one but suck for another, and you might get a box of them and not find one that is good even if each one is a different version.

the egyptian bowl i got from HS with my hookah was not very big and honestly it has just sat in my extra stuff for months collecting dust. it seems that the mod, phunnel, and vortex bowls are more consistent when you order them since they are produced by fewer people so they are all pretty much the same within their type

-matt
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

Quote:

you can smoke out of anything
but egyptian clay bowls make is much easier with heat management
vortex and funnel are great too. especially when it comes to juicier tobacco
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Alright...but I still don't understand. Matt, you are saying the Egyptian and the Mod on HS are the same material. And yet others are claiming the Egyptian is better material.

Which is true?
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

either its not the same material or theyre prepared differently or both
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Alright...but I still don't understand. Matt, you are saying the Egyptian and the Mod on HS are the same material. And yet others are claiming the Egyptian is better material.

Which is true?
i guess i am being a prick about the terminology, it is all ceramic but different in many of its characteristics. think of wood, you have soft and hard woods, light and dark woods, etc.

the mod bowls use a different kind of clay in the manufacture which end up being very smooth in and out and end up being made with thinner material, where as the thicker egyptian bowls use a different clay (egyptian red clay IIRC) which is a different raw material than what the mods use, the tangiers phunnels use a different material than both of them.

clay is the raw material that comes out of the ground, ceramic is the material after it has been worked and fired same as sand (along with soda ash and lime or borax) is what is heated to turn into glass. the egyptian bowls are unglazed, which leads to it having different characteristics, and the material is usually thicker which holds the head differently, and lastly because of the type of clay it was made from it has characteristics to it that are going to be different from other unglazed ceramics made from different clays

egyptian bowls = egyptian red clay
mod bowls = white porcelain (seems like that to me, or something very close, porcelain has no specific deffinition)

egyptian red and white porcelain both are clay fired into ceramic, just like maple and cedar are both woods but they are much different, just like pyrex (hard borosilica glass) and furnace glass (soft soda lime glass) are both glass but they cannot be used for the same things.

-matt
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

This time I cut the coal in half and put each half on opposite sides.
I made way smaller (but more) holes using a push-pin/thumbtack
and I put some wet toilet paper (folded over a couple of times to be thicker) between the grommet on the stem and the bowl

Still terrible smoke and terrible taste

Haven't had a chance to get a new bowl
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

What about your shisha, are you refrigerating it? If you are, leave it out for a few hours, and get it to room temperature before you smoke it. Same thing happened to me, so I learned the hard way to keep it out of there. Ruined a sizeable stash too, so you might have to get more.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Nope... it's room temperature.
It's Fusion tobacco. Cactus Pear flavor.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:32 AM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Nope... it's room temperature.
It's Fusion tobacco. Cactus Pear flavor.
Hmm, that's all I got then. Keep at it though, there's gotta be a reason.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Ya... hoping it's a simple bowl fix... Though my mod didn't always burn stuff like this
(Still always got bad smoke though...)
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i would suggest picking up a cheaper heat tolerant tobacco like nakhla and figure it out, even if you buy a new bowl, use a cheaper tobacco first to figure out how it works so you arent losing a buck every time you screw up a bowl, you will drop like 40 cents

-matt
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

by bad smoke do you mean little smoke?
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o also toilet paper is probably a bad choice, it gets pretty warm under the bowl and might be making it off gas some of the stuff in it

-matt
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

The Egyptian style (clay) Ceramic bowls are heavier and much thicker being Hand made each bowl different from the next and the color is normally brown with a ring of unglazed ceramic at the base showing a red clay that was used to make them. The white (clay) Ceramic bowls are normally machine cast bowls so mass produced and lighter and much thinner with a white ring round the top where it is unglazed.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

The toilet paper was well wet so I don't think it gave off any gas.

By bad smoke I mean little smoke and little (or even ashy when it burns) flavor

Up until now I've only used Nakhla Double Apple.
This burning problem started on my second time using the Fusion.

I'll try Nakhla again next time but I still never got a lot of flavor or thick smoke. At least it didn't burn like this Fusion is doing.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:14 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

This is an Egyptian style bowl, rather than the Mod bowl I have. Is it of better material though, or same undesirable material?

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
reality-
Banned

its the same crap man ( imo ) ...
I promise you if you would do exactly what yyou do in a egyptian clay bowl, you would get much better results with the fusion ...
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
reality-
Banned

Heres one that is what i call clay but its not jsut clay its like glazed or fired clay or ceramic or whatever!! I will never get it and thats possible because I just dont care..
THIS is what I and many others on this forum mean when we say CLAY and that other glanzy stuff you have there is what i call ceramic..
Though this one is in my opinion alittle to shallow, it just shows what kind of materials your bowl should have in my opinion
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook