Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Some Warnings about Stainless Steel Khalil Mamoon Hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Trivial
Banned

Default Some Warnings about Stainless Steel Khalil Mamoon Hookahs

Ive been reading up on of using brass and stainless steal and especially welding them together as the Stainless Steal models are doing. And by doing this it causes the Galvanic corrosion which mean that the metals corrode faster then if they were by themselves

Galvanic corrosion is from
1) Dissimilar metals
2) Metal-to-metal contact
3) Metals in the same conduction solution (usually called an electrolyte(water))
If any of these elements is missing, galvanic corrosion cannot occur.

I was also reading an article on why we have to use plastic connectors now on water heaters instead of brass or copper

What Are Plastic-Lined Nipples And Why Do I Need Them? Pipe nipples are small fittings that connect two pipes together. Many pipes and pipe nipples are made out of brass or copper because these metals are “noble” metals. This means that brass and copper do not chemically react with oxygen—the cause of corrosion or rusting—as much as other metals do (such as steel). The hot and cold water lines on top of the water heater are usually made of brass or copper. Unfortunately, most water heater tank linings and pipes are made out of steel. If these different metals touch each other, the brass or copper will actually promote rusting on the steel tank while the brass or copper remain rust free.

Pictures of my KM ICE, 2 months ago on this thread. 2nd and 15th post
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10149

Am I saying don't get any stainless steel hookahs or even not a km stainless steal?.... No

All I am trying to do is show you some potential risks and all this can be prevented with good care..

make sure to check the welds... the inside of ure hookah for any rust and dry it off well so galvanized corrosion can not occur as much

by checking you hookah you can make sure the rust does not go in deep... usually when you catch it in the first month or so its just top layer rust and can be scrubbed off with some vinegar

I want your guys opinions or research you have found or even personal experience

****Please do not turn this into what hookah is the best thread****

Last edited by Trivial; May 18th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Some Warnings about Stainless Steel Khalil Mamoon Hookahs

Interesting, i think its best to just stick to all brass hookahs.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

honestly, after 2 years with a rusty chinese, nothing could get worse XP
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

stainless steel KMs in my experience either A) dont have any brass parts or B)just have a brass tube down the center, in which case the welds are on the outside of the tube where water will not contact really and therefore should really be an issue ... i think ^_^ But what do i know :*(. But def with stainless still u need to be keeping your stuff dry to stop rust...just like u want to keep brass dry to stop it from oxidizing and turning green :P
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
stainless steel KMs in my experience either A) dont have any brass parts or B)just have a brass tube down the center, in which case the welds are on the outside of the tube where water will not contact really and therefore should really be an issue ... i think ^_^ But what do i know :*(. But def with stainless still u need to be keeping your stuff dry to stop rust...just like u want to keep brass dry to stop it from oxidizing and turning green :P

thats a brass weld in the hose port

which i believe cause this

but yeah its all how u take care of it
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

im not discounting your theory but i would be hard pressed to fully believe that, with out being submerged in a solution that would cause this, or not cleaned well that this would happen.

but i might have a potential solution, since stainless steel is a rather noble metal, connecting a piece of aluminum to the stem (even wrapping a piece of wire around the down stem in a way it wont fall off and keeps decent contact) you should be able to prevent this (same idea as using zinc on a ship as a sacrificial anode). i got the idea after reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion . with the copper and steel i see how the steel rusts but i am not sure why with a brass/steel one why the steel is the one that suffers when the brass has zinc in it (given it also has copper so idk).

i would bet though that not drying/cleaning the rig leads to more chance of this happening that galvanic corrosion does on its own.

also looking at that weld, its bronze which does change how it reacts. i found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series which shows which things corrode more easily, seeing as this is "stainless steel" it depends on the exact alloy of the steel but it could be to high to allow it to corrode before the brass/bronze, but honestly i would bet this steel is not that high quality thus it will break down before the brass. then again looking at this http://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic...n_Seawater.htm you could say that it would not break down since 410 stainless is pretty common.

idk i just dont think galvanic corrosion is going to be the cause here since you are usually talking about this happening in salt water or in unpurified water.

any way if you are really worried about it you can always rinse the hookah off after you clean it with distilled water and use distilled water on it and you shouldnt have to worry about it ever causing this
-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; May 18th, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

So, would this be a problem with Tri-Metals? Or just stainless?
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
So, would this be a problem with Tri-Metals? Or just stainless?
it would be an issue with any of them, maybe more so with dual and tri metal hookahs, but the more i look at this the less i think it is being caused by galvanic corrosion. browse those links i put up (you probably posted before i updated my post)

-matt
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

I didn't read the links but I remember doing an experiment about Galvanic cells in General Chemistry.
Though it's probably different from Galvanic corrosion, it does involve putting metals in solutions. This generates electricity (hence Galvanic Cells) but it also does corrode the metal. The solutions we used were pretty abrasive though and nothing on the level of water.

As suggested by matt, distilled or DI water would not have ions and would thus have no electrolytes problem

Last edited by Royal2000H; May 18th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Trivial
Banned

good posts so far guys... keep them up on this topic guys!
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post
I didn't read the links but I remember doing an experiment about Galvanic cells in General Chemistry.
Though it's probably different from Galvanic corrosion, it does involve putting metals in solutions. This generates electricity (hence Galvanic Cells) but it also does corrode the metal. The solutions we used were pretty abrasive though and nothing on the level of water.

As suggested by matt, distilled or DI water would not have ions and would thus have no electrolytes problem
from what i saw galvanic cells use galvanic corrosion so you were studying the same thing.

after i read your post i remembered, distilled water probably is ok but the distilled deionized you mentioned is the better (you can wash a circuit board off with deionized water)... but of course a silver and gold hookah would be ideal too

-matt
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Galvanic corrosion or white rust as it is know hereabouts happens in any environment where 2 dissimilar metals are present and a conductive fluid alkaline or acid. In Walvis Bay on the west Coast of Namibia the roads are made of Salt. Most of the houses has steel window frames with Brass latches and sliders the high salt content of the morning dew Causes the corrosion to form and if you do not open the windows once a week the brass sliders corrode so badly that you must remove them to get the window open. They coat most of the steel and brass with petroleum jelly to counter some of the corrosion. My brothers Landrover (aluminum body) corroded great big holes in the body skin he had to strip everything off the chassis and wrap the springs in tarcloth and galvanize all exposed parts and replace aluminum panels where needed. So any hookah with dissimilar metals will have oxidization forming of one kind or another the only metals imune to this is platinum, Gold, silver(to some extent for it tarnishes witch is oxidization) The PH of your water in you vase will also affect the rate of oxidization. So all said a hookah will rust no matter what just don't let it get out off hand control it by cleaning the hookah and drying it well.

Last edited by glostersa; May 19th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook