Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
G2low
Hookah Newbie

Default New

Smoked Hookah first time today, I think it was just crap shisha,
I figured it was pretty hard to screw up Double Apple, so thats what me and my buddy ordered from this hookah bar. It tasted good for about the first few smokes or about 20minutes , but than just got kind of nasty. No idea what kind they were using lol. but they were using round quicklights. i have somewhat of a headache now.
I was really thinking about buying a hookah before but idk anymore.
Anyone know of any Good hookah bars in South Florida?
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: New

ewww quicklights will ruin any bowl >.> from what i ve heard... a lot of hookah bars fail miserably at setting up hookahs...so don't let that deter you from the awesomeness that is hookah smoking.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Do not let a bad hookah bar experience be the end all of hookah experience.

I rarely go to my local hookah haunt (mostly for the people) b/c I make it better at home, granted it is a lerning process but maybe you can find someone who know what they are doing.

Welcome BTW.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

yeah i have never come across a hookah bar that sets up and maintains a hookah as good as I do. I always wonder if I could do it better in their situation.. and yeah qls WILL give you a headache and WILL taste like shit.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

Try smoking again at a friends place or somewhere else that have a better idea of how to prepare everything.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

lol QLs at a hookah bar... double fail. because the QLs fuck up your bowl and hookah bars suck ass at setting up hookahs like bradedup mentioned b4 me. just wait untill you get a hookah that is set up by someone who knows what they are doing and if still dont like it. then it isnt for you
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
ewww quicklights will ruin any bowl >.> from what i ve heard... a lot of hookah bars fail miserably at setting up hookahs...so don't let that deter you from the awesomeness that is hookah smoking.
+1 Most "attendants" don't know what they're doing when it comes to heat management( 4 coals on an Egyptian bowl with a windcover, really?) and at the one I go to they don't let you touch or tend the hookah so I cant fix it when they start incinerating the tobacco. Find someone who actually knows what they are doing and give it another try.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

yea, this sounds like my first hookah experience. Then i met this one guy who actually set up a bowl correctly. The time that you set it up and you smoke for 1hr-1.5hrs without any or very little maintenance is when you know you set it up correctly.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Surprisingly, I don't have that problem at my local lounge. We've never had a burnt bowl, or anything really other than drunk people getting up in the worker's faces. And if bring your own tongs, or are sneaky with the metal tip of a Bic, you can adjust the coal a little if need be.

But anyways, like they said. Don't let that ruin your first experience. Did you like it at the beginning before it screwed up? Then try it again with somebody that knows what they're doing, and see if you like it more!
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
XMiwakoX
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to XMiwakoX Send a message via Yahoo to XMiwakoX

Ive stopped going to lounges since I've started preparing my own hookah, always ended up with a headaches and nasty aftertastes afterwards / eww
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

I've smoked in lounges in dubai and jordan and nearly everyone i have been too the shiesha has been of high quality. The tongs are left on your pipe so you can coal manage and you get new coals brought and your bowl cleaned at good intervals. Sounds like these american places are clueless as too what what good hospitallity is.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Look at the video section and see the setup vids.

Search the forums about hookah sickness.

that should help

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

I've been to a bunch of hookah bars. I think only one of them ever messed it up. They are usually very good about heat management and making sure it's not weak or harsh.

I've never seen quicklights at a hookah lounge though.
Maybe it's because I'm from LA and there's so many lounges that they have to be top notch to beat the competition....
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
PiNKL0VE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to PiNKL0VE Send a message via Yahoo to PiNKL0VE

dont let your first session be your last! if there are other lounges in your area do like me, i give them a call and ask what type of tobacco & coals they use. if their tobacco is ok i'll go but if they say QL's or easylites its a def no go. good luck on your next round of hookah adventures!
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
G2low
Hookah Newbie

thanks everyone.
Ill be trying it again, dont know anyone with a hookah so i might just have to do what you said PinkLove.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:25 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2low View Post
thanks everyone.
Ill be trying it again, dont know anyone with a hookah so i might just have to do what you said PinkLove.
Don't get too freaked about the QLs though. All three of the lounges at home use them, and I believe the two in Richmond do as well. Just make sure they use a decent brand if they are QLs. No Rollands or no names...
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
G2low
Hookah Newbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260413488698
Whats eveyone think of this QT's price , seems a little cheaper than some of the websites. My friend is looking to get one. He was going to offer a price, do you think he could get it for cheaper somewhere else?
Thanks
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
ewww quicklights will ruin any bowl >.>
Don't listen to this, because it is 100% false. Don't lead people who are new to hookah in the wrong direction.

With quicklights you have to make sure they're 100% red and lit all around to burn off all the quick lighting agents off the coal before smoking, if the bar you were at didn't make sure all the black schtuff was gone by means of blowing on it or something else, that could be the reason behind why you had a headache.

Usually what i've noticed at hookah bars is they'll overpack the bowl, which sometimes results in a nice smoke for about 15 minutes, then the burnt taste can really start setting in just like you described. But hey, some hookah bars way overpack their bowl and there has been people who post here who have had great sessions like that, there was a thread in here about it a few months ago. I guess it's just whether some bars have that magic touch or not.

What i'm saying is, it sounds by the way you described it that the people at the hookah bar prepared it poorly. Don't let that turn you away from getting your own! Once you have your own hookah you can start learning how to prepare a perfect bowl (especially with all the guides and videos on here) and eventually discover some of your own methods as you become more experienced. None of that headacheness or nastiness you described, i haven't smoked a bowl like that in a loooooong time, not since i was a newb
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
G2low
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift3d View Post
Don't listen to this, because it is 100% false. Don't lead people who are new to hookah in the wrong direction.

With quicklights you have to make sure they're 100% red and lit all around to burn off all the quick lighting agents off the coal before smoking, if the bar you were at didn't make sure all the black schtuff was gone by means of blowing on it or something else, that could be the reason behind why you had a headache.

Usually what i've noticed at hookah bars is they'll overpack the bowl, which sometimes results in a nice smoke for about 15 minutes, then the burnt taste can really start setting in just like you described. But hey, some hookah bars way overpack their bowl and there has been people who post here who have had great sessions like that, there was a thread in here about it a few months ago. I guess it's just whether some bars have that magic touch or not.

What i'm saying is, it sounds by the way you described it that the people at the hookah bar prepared it poorly. Don't let that turn you away from getting your own! Once you have your own hookah you can start learning how to prepare a perfect bowl (especially with all the guides and videos on here) and eventually discover some of your own methods as you become more experienced. None of that headacheness or nastiness you described, i haven't smoked a bowl like that in a loooooong time, not since i was a newb
sounds like you know exactly what im talking about. i was considering getting my own, something small like a little Mya or something because it would probably only be me and my girlfriend smoking. the QT my friend is thinking about getting looks nice, and after looking at some reviews on here people seem to like it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook