Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2nd round of coals=bad experience =(

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Default 2nd round of coals=bad experience =(

Ok so I set up my hookah with a couple buddies of mine and the session started out great. We were having some SB Blue mist. The only problem was that we didn't get that much smoke on the first set of coals (starlight silver tabs) so we cooked up another set of coals and took out the first set which were getting small then put on the next set (3 tabs per stick of coal). 2 of my friends started to hit it and got massive clouds but when it was my turn to take hits i pulled in a "coal-y" taste. It wasn't really irritating but you'd know that the tobacco was burning and the smoke had a tint of black to it (exaggeration but it was dark smoke). So I took off the coals and looked at the bowl (using tangiers medium) and the shish was burnt and smoking. I trashed that bowl and refilled it with new blue mist, put on the foil, poked about 2.5 rings of holes and started with 2 coals this time. It was alright, the pulls were ok but there was not enough smoke! Then I added the third one and it started to taste "coal-y" again. My friends said they taste it fine and I was too sensitive. But I know there's something wrong so I'm asking you guys what do you think is the problem? How can I fix this? I didn't try double foiling it so is that the problem? Help! Sorry for this long post but I'd appreciate if any of you can help me! Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: 2nd round of coals=bad experience =(

yes, double foiling would probably work with 3 coals. Those japanese coals are nice, but they dont last too long, perhaps try investing in some larger coconut coals like Coconaras, or ******* Hookah Coals. And if you want go to thehookah.com and get the new shishaco coconut coals, its buy one get one free. I just ordered two boxes and it should be here later this week so ill post a review. Also, 2 and a windcover might work well too.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
xin666
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to xin666

I've noticed that somewhat recently too. It's not an overwhelming taste, but it's odd. To get rid of it after i notice it, I just move the coals around, flip them over if the bottoms are black, and purge the base before continuing. This usually helps me get rid of it, hope it works for you too.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:47 AM
BigSexyPanda
Hookah Newbie

If you're not getting enough smoke with two and three's too much, try going with the windcover like coldgreentea said and if that doesn't work, check your packing technique.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:00 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Japanese style coals have always given me a coal taste if they get even the slightest bit black when smoking. That's why I use coconut coals almost exclusively and I suggest them or exotica coals. I have had nothing but bad experiences with japanese style coals.

I too would suggest a wind cover and would suggest switching to something else once those coals are gone.
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

hmm I'll try double foiling it next time and give you guys an update. Do I need to acclimate the blue mist? Because I basically opened it fresh from a new can. Also my MZ hookah came with a wind cover but it can't fit over the tangiers bowl. It gets stuck around the border of the top of the bowl and doesn't touch the tray. Any suggestions for a tall wind cover? Also I would buy coconaras but my parents monitor my bank acc -_-. I also did the flipping technique and purging but that still didn't really work. A good 2 hits then it starts to taste like coals.

But the packing technique I think I need a refresher on that one so I'll look up around the forums for some ideas. I usually pack it somewhat tight and leveled with the tip of the bowl.

Well thanks guys for your input, really appreciate it!
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
yoyoyo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DonDada View Post
hmm I'll try double foiling it next time and give you guys an update. Do I need to acclimate the blue mist? Because I basically opened it fresh from a new can. Also my MZ hookah came with a wind cover but it can't fit over the tangiers bowl. It gets stuck around the border of the top of the bowl and doesn't touch the tray. Any suggestions for a tall wind cover? Also I would buy coconaras but my parents monitor my bank acc -_-. I also did the flipping technique and purging but that still didn't really work. A good 2 hits then it starts to taste like coals.

But the packing technique I think I need a refresher on that one so I'll look up around the forums for some ideas. I usually pack it somewhat tight and leveled with the tip of the bowl.

Well thanks guys for your input, really appreciate it!
What i did about the windcover, something i found in this forum.. was to take the SB can and cut a circle on the under side. Then you put the can on the tray before you put the bowl on the hookah, then put the bowl on its position and place the windcover over the can. that should work just fine.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i have that issue with 2nd round coals, a lot, i also have had issues some times with certain bowls/coals with getting a coal taste (in fact it was blue mist in a mya bowl).

ive never used the silver tabs so idk

-matt
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
xin666
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to xin666

SB doesn't need to acclimate. Also, don't pack it too tightly, just sprinkle and make sure it's below the lip and not touching the foil. I myself enjoy blue mist and have had good success with it, Nats or Silvers.