Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Traditional Smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Default Traditional Smoke

Hi guys, just wanted to take the time to tell you about a traditional smoke I am currently having. I had an old package of Salloum unflavoured mo'assel lying around and as most of you know I am very much interested in the more traditional "black" style tobaccos than the more common candy-ish flavours we have here in the States. The Salloum was very dry and hard as a brick, so I knew I had my work cut out for me if I was to restore this mo'assel. I very patiently broke up enough tobacco to fill two bowls and mixed 1/2 teaspoon of honey as well as molasses to moisten and break it up. I then placed it into a zip lock bag and began massaging it with my fingers so that it would be very loose. Then, I sealed the bag and held it under hot water to ensure a good mixture and also to make the tobacco broken up very loosely. After that, I took a pizza cutter and used the wooden end to mash the tobacco, further mixing the molasses and honey into it. After several hours, I then packed it very carefully into an Egyptian bowl and added foil and 3 ******* hookah natural coals with a windcover (this mo'assel needs extreme heat to produce the slightest bit of smoke.) As the bowl began to heat up, it was producing enough smoke to get embarrassed by a cigarette's smoke density. However, the flavour was amazing. Very strong and rich, with a nice spicey complication...hard to figure out. Now, after 10-15 minutes of patience and timing my pulls correctly, the smoke density has reached that of Shooting Star or Desi Murli for those of you who have tried that. The flavour is amazing and is why I enjoy traditional smokes far beyond the sweet and fruity flavours that most are so fond of. I invite you all to look into traditional tobaccos, as this is an experience everyone should at least give a chance. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I encourage replies and questions.

Salam ,

- Mohamed
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Traditional Smoke

plain Salloum is a staple in my stash. I know what you mean about it being hard as a rock. The last box I got was pretty solid. I used a honey/glycerin (70/30 respectively) and it smoked like a charm.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Oh yeah man, you could KO someone with a brick of that stuff . Unfortunately, I did not have the glycerin so I used honey and molasses and it served me quite well. I believe had I had the glycerin, the experience would have been even more enjoyable, but like I say, with patience you don't have to have glycerin to restore it. I think you can benefit greatly with the glycerin however because it will moisten and bring the life back to dry tobacco...I have no experience with it so I really can't comment on there. Thanks for the reply Abu, and keep the traditional smokes alive!
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

very nice, i will have to try the aggressive rehydration method you used, i just put molasses/glycerine on it and let it sit but that doesnt seem to have worked well.

i like salloum and kass super (very close to salloum but a bit smokier flavor and a bit spicier but very similar)

i like the traditional stuff every now and then

-matt
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Good on you Matt! Try sealing it in a zip lock bag and running it under hot water for a bit, then use something to mash on the bag with to break the tobacco up and make it loose. I guarantee you it will work like a charm bud .
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ironically i was thinking the other day how to heat it up to get the juices to soak in better

sucks being home for the summer, im smoking only 2-3 bowls a week instead of per day so i cannot try this for a while

-matt
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:31 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

I have a recent package of Salloum I ordered that I haven't really smoked yet. Do you think that running it as it is under hot water would be enough or should I go your route and add honey and gylcerine to it? I don't want to fuck it up with my ignorance.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I enjoy your posts Mohamed.

I just posted about an order I'm going to make and I'm very tempted to add plain Salloum now... I absolutely love a good pipe smoke so I'm betting it would be fairly similar.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by necco View Post
I have a recent package of Salloum I ordered that I haven't really smoked yet. Do you think that running it as it is under hot water would be enough or should I go your route and add honey and gylcerine to it? I don't want to fuck it up with my ignorance.
always just do a bit at a time at least until you figure out a perfect way. when i got my box from john it was a brick, like a rice crispy treat kinda but much stickier and stiffer no extra moisture at all. if yours is that dry i would add a bit and warm it up

-matt
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
I enjoy your posts Mohamed.

I just posted about an order I'm going to make and I'm very tempted to add plain Salloum now... I absolutely love a good pipe smoke so I'm betting it would be fairly similar.
Thanks man, I think everyone should give this stuff a try. It's very strong and bitter tasting, not a common sweet candy flavour, but if you like a pipe smoke I think you will enjoy this my friend. Just take a slight puff every 30 seconds to make sure you won't smoke yourself sick as this stuff is STRONG.

Quote:
Hajo recommends to use 1/4 teaspoon of honey and glycerin to the amount of tobacco that will fill a normal sized bowl. In my case, I had no glycerin so you will benefit even greater than I will. I don't know about the condition your mo'assel is in because I can't see it of course, but running it under hot water (make sure it is sealed in a zip lock bag of course!!!) is an added step AFTER you add the honey/glycerin combination. It just helps to loosen it up if it's hard as a rock. Then get something to mash on it with, like a piece of wood or something. Let it sit for a while in the zip lock bag so it can soak in the honey/glycerin mixture and then smoke up bro . Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help you the best I can .

- Mohamed

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven; May 21st, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

psht, 1 puff per 30 seconds, you need to increase your nicotine tolerances

but seriously i was surprised how i didnt get a buzz from this or kass super after reading all the stuff about take it slow, i kept forgetting and didnt get any buzz

-matt
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
psht, 1 puff per 30 seconds, you need to increase your nicotine tolerances

but seriously i was surprised how i didnt get a buzz from this or kass super after reading all the stuff about take it slow, i kept forgetting and didnt get any buzz

-matt
Damn son, well more power to you LOL. I guess it's just to inform everyone of what this stuff is capable of. I mean if you are used to Starbuzz or Fantasia, sure it's more than likely to knock your F'in head off, but I was shocked to read that you didn't get a buzz from the Kass. That stuff rang my bell at the 5th hit . More power to you big time!
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
Damn son, well more power to you LOL. I guess it's just to inform everyone of what this stuff is capable of. I mean if you are used to Starbuzz or Fantasia, sure it's more than likely to knock your F'in head off, but I was shocked to read that you didn't get a buzz from the Kass. That stuff rang my bell at the 5th hit . More power to you big time!
damn, maybe since it was so dry im not getting it all the way.

how does nakhla or tangiers treat you?

-matt
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've found that the best tip for getting overly dried out stuff going is to keep you r fingers wet and wash them constantly while mixing in the molasses and glycerin. I've also found it helps to keep your finger nails very short so you don't look like a mechanic for the rest of the week. You also have to work to make sure that you break all the bits apart which is a bit of work but worth it. Also, since the nicotine is concentrated heavily in the stems be sure to toss them.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
damn, maybe since it was so dry im not getting it all the way.

how does nakhla or tangiers treat you?

-matt
That could be it...hmm. Nakhla is my third favourite tobacco, falling under Desi Murli in 2nd and Shooting Star in 1st. Tangier's is a pile of camel crap - personal opinion. Tangier's has to be the worst attempt at Middle Eastern tobacco I have ever seen. They have some flavours that are good, I will admit, but I personally think it's a waste of money.

Also, I was hoping you would reply Hajo! You always give the best tips man. I wouldn't have smoked this Salloum if it wasn't for the information you have provided to me previously with your hookah life writings. Special thanks for the rare tobaccos you have sent to me and introducing me to a whole new interest in traditional tobaccos.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
NO NO NO! Do not soak it in water!

1) Go to a sink and let the water run over your hands and leave the water on.

2) Break off a chunk of the moassel and seperate each bit with your hands and wash them periodically to make it easier.

3) Re-condition by mixing in the molasses and glycerin as mentioned else where in the thread.

FBD, I am glad that I can help hook up up with some good stuff and it's great that my tips help some one out. Thing is that I know a lot of people that know so much more then I do about narghile stuff I just wish that I could talk them into joining HP.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
smoke eater
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for this post. I like the idea of putting the mix into a bag and massaging the shisha under warm water and pressing it to blend in the moisturizing agents. I imagine this would have good results with Desi Murli and Zag as well?
Wow reading this forum has stoked my urge to try more blends, so I ordered some Salloum and more DM flavors to try. lol
Cheers
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Ah great to hear Smoke Eater! I think Hajo had a misconception of what I was informing you guys lol. What I like to do is after I wet my fingers with water and mix in the glycerin/honey, place the tobacco in a bag and seal it so that you aren't running hot water directly on the tobacco of course. I'm sure you all got that but yeah haha. I found that the hot water really adds an extra hand in helping to break up the mo'assel. Salloum and Desi Murli are great tobaccos and I hope they serve you well Smoke Eater!
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:12 AM
reality-
Banned

ANyone else then me think that FarBeyondDriven has the most polite written language youve ever seen? Mohamed man.. you should work at a sevenstar hotel or something man.. You speak so polite you make highsociety americans look like ghettoblasters.. lol..
Keep it going brother...
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

ROFL ...thanks for the kind words Nima! If I ever work for a Seven Star hotel I will give you a discount and you and your lady can have the honeymoon suite!
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

i have looked online a few times to try to find out what kind of tobacco they use in it. do you have a clue? ...

main reason i asked, is when i started smoking the hookah a little while back .. before ordering the flavored stuff online (all that was available in my town is the herbal stuff) i would take my pipe tobacco and mix with honey and such to smoke ... and got results that were similiar to how you say it tasted (depending on which tobacco i used of course) ...
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

I don't have a clue man. I think our best bet would be Ahmad (The Egyptian). Maybe he knows something about it since he lives there in Egypt of course. You should try PM'ing him and see if he can help!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

I got some Salloum unflavoured that came free with my first hookah, i never smoked it, i always used it as a weapon to fight off hose hoggers!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook