Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I need some information

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
NGUWhitey
Hookah Newbie

Default I need some information

Ok well im a im here to look for a hookah. I need one for my dad because i recently went to a local Hookah store. I asked them lots of questions about hookahs. Got some answers now im just here to confirm them. Well i just wanted to know if it makes you stop smoking cigarrets. That is my biggest concern right now for my dad. I need him to quit smoking cigarrets!

-Whitey
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

Default Re: I need some information

It can sure help
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
NGUWhitey
Hookah Newbie

Ok because that is my biggest concern i need to help him now!

-Whitey
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

If he don't _want_ to take the cigarettes down, than it won't help. If he try to, than it might help. But it's not enough on it's own. The power of will is also needed.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Nothing can stop you from smoking cigs, other than willpower IMO (ive been at someones bedside, dying of lung cancer and they wanted a cigarette) . Perhaps there are other areas of his life that need to be looked at and changed so that he doesnt have a reason (beyond addiction) to have one. Then he can say "I really dont need these".

If he doesnt want to quit he wont and certainly by introducing another form of smoking to him is perhaps not the the best for him. Im not a professional, it just doesnt sound like a solution.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
NGUWhitey
Hookah Newbie

So from what you guys are telling me the hookah dosent help one bit? Im just quoting what the Manager of the store told me.

-Whitey
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

There is no clinical evidence of any such information being true as far as I know. Hookah is a smoking hobby and you want your dad to stop smoking, that is not logical.

I dont take important life advice about things from people who can sell me their cures lol. He was kind of out of line saying that it would cure him, your dad doesnt have an ailment he has a personal choice.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

It can help if the person wants to stop. If they don't want to quit it won't do anything. does your dad like hookah? If not then he won't smoke it either.

Check out electronic cigarettes. They are a device made to quit smoking. I suggesy the njoy line. It's affordable and has treated my buddy Dave pretty well. It's the same experience as smoking a cigarette without all the damage from smoke. Still produces "smoke" and delivers nicotine. My buddy is no longer a cigarette smoker and had been for a long time.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

the hookah is not a real alternative for a cigarette smoker. when im smoking hookah with some friends, who are also smoking cigs, they go out for a cigarette, too.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

An hour long hookah smoke can deliver a lot of nicotine depending on which brand you're smoking. I smoke cigarettes also (about half a pack a day) and after i smoke a bowl of nakhla i don't even crave a cigarette for like half the day, it's weird. But, you know, you can't light up your hookah anywhere and have a smoke like you can with a cigarette. So if you're really trying to get someone to completely quit smoking cigarettes, i'd say a hookah for smoking at home and an e-cig (as kalutika said) for smoking while out.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
ebaygirl
Hookah Pro

The smokers in my family like the hookah, but yes they also go out for a cigarette.The greatest thing, is during sports games I bring out the hookah and they stay indoors, I have lot's of windows in the family room, and open them. Our weather is pretty mild. So they like the idea of indoor hookah, versus outdoor smoke, away from the television.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

It can help but like other people have been saying, its no replacement for the desire to quit. According to Freud(although I believe a lot of what he has said to be false) part of the addiction might be a maladaptive quality of Oral fixation. I can speak for myself only but I know this is one part of the reason why I smoked cigarettes is because it helped with that. That being said, same concept applies to hookah. Still fulfills that need, as well as the second component of what was my addiction to cigarettes: nicotine. That being said, it wasn't a substantive for nicotine because I found that since I had smoked cigarettes I had a high tolerance to nicotine. What it did help with is weening me off the cigarettes. I cut back to a pack a week w/o hookah and then I started smoking a hookah a day and my packs stretched a little longer (1.5 weeks and the last pack I bought lasted me 2 weeks) and at that point where I had lessened my dependency on cigarettes I was smoking 1-2 bowls per day. I then dropped the cigarettes all together and stuck with hookah. Now if that's where you want to stop you can, but also I had to cut back on hookah because at home I am only allowed to smoke hookah as a social activity with friends rather than a daily habit. So i cut down on hookah till the point where I've only smoked 1 hookah the past 1.5 weeks I've been at home.
Its still smoking, but I find it much more enjoyable than my cigarette smoking.
Hope that helps!
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

If you are so concerned about your fathers health i would not recommend getting him into hookah smoking. It might help him a bit IF he likes smoking hookah but certailny WILL NOT improve health status.
There is no scientific evidence that hookah does not harm you in any way and anyone getting into this hobby should be aware of that.
As much as i hate to admit it :
SMOKING HOOKAH IS NOT A SAFE/SAFER/BETTER WAY OF SMOKING
Other than that its also expensive (for some of us more expensive than cigarettes)

If you are really interested in helping him quit smoking, try getting him into a hobby. Something he likes that is not frustrating for him and he can enjoy doing with friends, preferably non-smokers.

I hope i've been helpful
Cheers mate
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

while hookah is much better for you than cigs i wouldnt be trying to get your father to stop cigs by picking it up. if it is extremely imperative for him to stop she should try to look at the patch/gum/ or that newer medication they have out now.

hookah is not a safe alternative but i do think it is safer (but then again every from of tobacco is safer than the american mass produced cigs)

while each person is different and different body chemistry determines if some one has an addictive personality i think if you want to quit you will quit and if you really dont want to then you will fail, when it comes down to it people who "cannot" quit just dont have the will power, be it due to stress, time, laziness, having it as a crutch, or whatever else

im all for more people smoking hookah but unless your dad just cannot quit cigs but hookah will satisfy his cravings (which BTW a lot of the cravings are not for just nicotine but for the other chemicals they put in cigs) the ok what ever but if he NEEDS to quit then he should QUIT not SUBSTITUTE

-matt
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
caasi
Hookah Newbie

I smoke both hookah and cigarettes.

and my conclusion is HOOKAH DOESN'T MAKE YOU STOP SMOKING CIGARETTES..
hookah tobacco has less nicotine.. the taste is also different.. and may other reasons..
the manager is lying and just wants you to buy one..

I often find myself smoking a cigarette before..while.. or after i hookah.. I know its really bad but a lot of cigarette smokers i know also do that when they hookah

EDIT:
I forgot that hookah at best takes around 5 minutes to set up and it lasts for around an hour.. nothing like a quick smoke

Last edited by caasi; May 28th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Niko
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Niko

in the end its up to your dad, if he's willing to substitute ciggys for hookah, then maybe but any more than like 5 heads a day, cant be to good for you.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

i smoke hookah and still smoke ciggs, same amount... i dont look @ hookah as an alternative thoe, so i couldn't tell you if it'll help someone stop smoking cigs
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

My buddy parents smoke cigs all the time and when they smoked with us they didn't like it enough to quit since cigs are a lot stronger. So it might but its all on mind set if you want to quit then you might tell your self that hookah is a great alternative if not, then you floating up sh*ts creek.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpride1 View Post
My buddy parents smoke cigs all the time and when they smoked with us they didn't like it enough to quit since cigs are a lot stronger. So it might but its all on mind set if you want to quit then you might tell your self that hookah is a great alternative if not, then you floating up sh*ts creek.
give them tangiers and they will drop on their asses

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook