Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Just bought a AF Solid - having some problems.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Default Just bought a AF Solid - having some problems.

Hi folks.

A gorgeous Al Fakher Solid Small just arrived at my door and my brother and I promptly got it up and running. But we've run into an issue, or possibly two.

No leaks in the hose, grommets fine for the base/pipe, bowl/pipe, and we're using a ghetto wet paper-towel for the hose grommet, but that seems to be doing just fine and not leaking any air. When inhaling, we're getting plenty of air, but there's a good deal of air being sucked through the purge valve. This is our first hookah, but I have a good suspicion that this is not normal. I can't for the life of me get the valve cap off to check for a loose or stuck ball bearing or anything, so if anybody could give me tips for this, please do.

Problem 2 is that we're having problems with the coals. We filled the bowl about half-way 'cause we didn't want to smoke all that much and my brother insisted on only using one coal. I figured two might be better - they're the coconut ******* coals and seem a bit small. I poked about 50+ small holes with a thumb-tack into double-layered tinfoil and we lit the coal on my grill outside :P The shisha was definitely warming up and becoming very fragrant, but we're getting ZERO smoke. I'm assuming we're not getting enough heat due to only one coal or the coal not being close enough to the shisha.

Any ideas folks? Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Just bought a AF Solid - having some problems.

One CH coal will not be enough. 2-3 on most bowls is ideal.

As for the purge, the ball bearing is probably missing. Try to use a wrench or something to remove the purge cap. No air should be coming in by means of the purge.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
MercQV62
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MercQV62

The purge valve problem sounds odd, but with one CH coal and 50 holes, it is unlikely you would be getting any smoke to begin with. I recommend lighting a 2nd coal and poking about half as many holes.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
One CH coal will not be enough. 2-3 on most bowls is ideal.

As for the purge, the ball bearing is probably missing. Try to use a wrench or something to remove the purge cap. No air should be coming in by means of the purge.
+1
I would have suggested the same thing,
John
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Two coals is the minimum unless you have a really small bowl and use the correct hole pattern. My smallest bowl is not much larger than the largest side of a CH coal so it can work with a wind cover. But two is ideal. Allows for great heat management possibilities depending on where you place them and on what side they are resting.

Regarding the purge valve, I suggest taking a C wrench to it as suggested earlier and checking if the ball bearing is actually in there. Is is a light hiss of air getting through or is it just open? The ball bearing may be stuck in the purge cap as often happens with my KM. Tap it, opening down, on the table and it should come out. If it is entirely missing it's good to replace a ball bearing with a non-biodegradable airsoft BB. The "green" BBs are made to break down with moisture and eventually melt away when used in the woods so that is not a good option.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
fatony612
Hookah Nut

i think on my af rig there was a little piece of soldering material between the ball and the housing and i had to knock it out so it would make the correct seal once i did that all was well
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

if the ball bearing is missing, you would notice like no smoke when you inhale on that rig.

However, if the ball bearing was, maybe stuck to the side, or not sitting properly that might be the issue.

If a plastic bb fits, I use them instead, and in my 2 AF rigs, they fit .

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Regarding the purge valve, I suggest taking a C wrench to it as suggested earlier and checking if the ball bearing is actually in there. Is is a light hiss of air getting through or is it just open? The ball bearing may be stuck in the purge cap as often happens with my KM. Tap it, opening down, on the table and it should come out. If it is entirely missing it's good to replace a ball bearing with a non-biodegradable airsoft BB. The "green" BBs are made to break down with moisture and eventually melt away when used in the woods so that is not a good option.
It's more of a hiss than being completely open. I'm getting air through the top and the valve, and we've only had luck getting decent smoke when keeping the valve shut with some electrical tape. Thanks for the advice on the BBs!

I'm gonna grab a wrench and see if I can get this thing off. Maybe the bearing is just stuck in there somewhere. I have to say, I'm a bit ticked off that such an important thing can be so overlooked before being packaged, shipped and sold! A hose grommet was also missing so we've had to use wet paper towels in the meantime.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Rorookah737
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
I have to say, I'm a bit ticked off that such an important thing can be so overlooked before being packaged, shipped and sold!
mistakes happen my friend i do agree with photo with that open ur not guna get much smoke to begin with and yeah as for coal 2 is good maybe even just 2 with a wind cover is nice but most peeps will use 2-3 and sometimes 4 depending on the situation
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

hey knights, pm sent, i want to make sure this works out, and sorry if i missed the hose grommet, i'll get you one. i just need your info.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

Quote:
It's more of a hiss than being completely open. I'm getting air through the top and the valve, and we've only had luck getting decent smoke when keeping the valve shut with some electrical tape. Thanks for the advice on the BBs!

I'm gonna grab a wrench and see if I can get this thing off. Maybe the bearing is just stuck in there somewhere. I have to say, I'm a bit ticked off that such an important thing can be so overlooked before being packaged, shipped and sold! A hose grommet was also missing so we've had to use wet paper towels in the meantime.
it happens man
and apparently john is willing to work with you so yeah
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Pieking
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
John is one of (if not) the best vendors around. No matter how pristine the vendor, none of them go through each hookah they have in the warehouse checking if they have a stuck or missing bearing. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the vendor for this one as more of the blame belongs to the hookah manufacturer them self.

Anywho, tell us if you figure out the problem so we can have a reference if any of us run into this problem in the future.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:54 PM
fullofdays
Hookah Newbie

Just got my small AF in the mail today myself and I had a heck of a time getting the purge valve off upon test fitting all the parts for a dry fit. There is a ball bearing inside mine but it had a burr on the side of the fitting which would have caused a seal issue. Otherwise the hookah is amazing. Rocking out to some SB White peach now. :-) I'm getting decent smoke with 2 CH QL coals. I'm running double tin foil over the funnel bowl and poked 3x3 holes shown in johns vid review. The sultan hose is pimp. It matches my shag carpet in my house. LOL

I set up water level to be about an inch above the bottom of the downtube and am going to experiment to get the best results from a taste/smoke density balance.

Both a phunnel grommet and hose grommet came with my pipe. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. Thanks John!

Last edited by fullofdays; May 30th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

So, just managed to get the valve off and there is, in fact, no bearing. I'm about to go see if I have anything that could work

Thanks for all the help, guys!
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieking View Post
John is one of (if not) the best vendors around. No matter how pristine the vendor, none of them go through each hookah they have in the warehouse checking if they have a stuck or missing bearing. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the vendor for this one as more of the blame belongs to the hookah manufacturer them self.

Anywho, tell us if you figure out the problem so we can have a reference if any of us run into this problem in the future.
Oh I wasn't meaning to rag on John at all, he's been nothing but kind! I was directing that towards Al Fakher
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook