Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

logical to buy more than 1 vase??

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default logical to buy more than 1 vase??

ok so im going to probably get a km (heart of lion dual or maybe trimetal, the dual is so much cheaper though and i think i like the look better but its like 10 inches shorter so idk, i dont see it smoking much different and for saving almost 50% i think its worth it). any way so im looking around thehookah and there are a lot of vases that i really like (i dont really want to chose just one) and since they are only 20 bucks per vase it seems pretty realistic to buy an extra vase or 2 just to mix it up (and in case i break one, knock on wood). i think it was bradedup who got the hookah to mix and match stuff for him recently and i am planing to go that path if i can. i figure then i can just buy stems later and have full rigs...

so does this sound logical to any one or just kinda stupid. im not going to get this rig until probably august when i get back to school and smoke every say instead of this crappy once a week

-matt
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: logical to buy more than 1 vase??

i dont know about logical, but it is just another thing to feed our ever present hookah addiction. If you have the extra cash, go ahead. just make sure that the smaller KMs dont use smaller bases. Suck to order like 3 small bases then try and buy larger stems and have to get a new base anyways.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:34 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Couple things.

1. The mix/match thing wasn't me. >.> can't remember that guys name, but I know what you are talking about.

2. The small KMs that thehookah sells ARE smaller gauge, so there is a difference in smoking quality. ALSO, the stems are VERY light and the trays are not the typical stamped KM tray, they are generic. If you want a real KM I would not get one of the mini ones.

3. Spare vases are always a good idea, save on shipping, etc plus its nice to switch up the vase now and again for a change of pace.

4. The small KMs have a very small vase. They are not the typical KM sized vases.

I think I have about covered everything there. ^_^
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
i dont know about logical, but it is just another thing to feed our ever present hookah addiction. If you have the extra cash, go ahead. just make sure that the smaller KMs dont use smaller bases. Suck to order like 3 small bases then try and buy larger stems and have to get a new base anyways.
good point, i am going to make sure to call when i do all of it. i emailed them to ask about the sizes since the pics look a bit off. i will find out if i can even get those bases on the one i want. i think all their KMs might use the large size though since they only sell the large vases except in the "classic" version on thehookah

posted all that b4 i saw bradedup's post,
well i guess that means im getting the tri metal, thought it might be too good to be true.

i think i will probably try to get 3 vases (red,green, and blue shimmer vases with with the silver on them). guess im dropping 180 for the rig plus a few bowls then an order from john for some more hoses , coals, tobacco, etc. guess i need to get to working

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; May 31st, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I wish I could just buy another but no, I am taking a vase to a local glass blower and having a custom one made. I have spending issues, as in I like to spend. Actually I just like well crafted glass.
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
I wish I could just buy another but no, I am taking a vase to a local glass blower and having a custom one made. I have spending issues, as in I like to spend. Actually I just like well crafted glass.
I was thinking it would be sick to try and build my own hookah.. and having my buddy blow glass to make the vase >.>
But anyways... I would say if you can find another vase that fits, like someone else said.. it might be a nice change of pace.
I have been considering buying another one cause i am kinda of bored using just the boring yellow vase that came with my hookah.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
ya i am planing to blow my own base at some point but the shape is not exactly the easiest thing to freehand, at least if you want to copy the shape exactly. what i am thinking about doing is using a mold technique that you only get one offs from but you can get litteraly finger print quality detail so i might make a few wax copies off of a standard vase and then build on it to get some weird shapes.

by the time i am a senior i hope to be able to blow some nice vases free hand and with the techniques of color patterns i know i will be able to produce stuff that no one here can find in a hookah vase... and even a clear hand blown vase in the states is gona cost well over 20 bucks from any glass blower that even wants to cover their costs of operation. i would happily pay 200-400 bucks for a well blown vase with some of the more complicated color patterns... assuming i had the money

-matt
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Im looking for a new base but more b/c im sick of the blue glass.

A smoky/black glass would look MMMM on my hookah. maybe ill check out some glass blowers here and see if they can make me something if i cant find a fit.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:25 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I am in the process of customizing all my hookahs, which includes the bases, some of which are from SS.

My idea is I will use them, and if they ever break, I have the originals to use instead.

I have 6 good hookahs right now....i need to edit the sig

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Trivial
Banned

Id say go for a trimetal with a brass hose port and brass core such as this one
http://hookahcompany.com/classic_tri..._3997_prd1.htm

keep in mind that dual metal is going to be a stainless steal hose port and core.. has been reviewed with a worse pull then the taller kms and doesn't come with a km hose
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
Id say go for a trimetal with a brass hose port and brass core such as this one
http://hookahcompany.com/classic_tri..._3997_prd1.htm

keep in mind that dual metal is going to be a stainless steal hose port and core.. has been reviewed with a worse pull then the taller kms and doesn't come with a km hose
ya after some of the earlier posts and quick research yall are right (gota love the community's knowledge) i will probably get the trimetal (given this is 2.5 months away but i like to pre plan). if i dont like the look of the brass i have access to stuff that i can plate the brass with copper to bring it to a more dual metal look, just not to sure how well i can polish it up. i probably wont do it but if i get really bored down the road and really hate the look its an option

-matt
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ya after some of the earlier posts and quick research yall are right (gota love the community's knowledge) i will probably get the trimetal (given this is 2.5 months away but i like to pre plan). if i dont like the look of the brass i have access to stuff that i can plate the brass with copper to bring it to a more dual metal look, just not to sure how well i can polish it up. i probably wont do it but if i get really bored down the road and really hate the look its an option

-matt
Glad your planning ahead

just like to also give u the option of the Kafae
http://www.thehookah.com/khalil-mamo...e-27-inch.html

solid brass with a nickel finish.. Would be solid and durable piece you wouldnt have to polish..

IMO not as beautiful as a Tri though

but maybe the same thing will happen to you that happen to me... I used to not like the Tris... but they grew on me
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

its nice but im not really liking that kafee. i dont hate the trimetals (i like them more than i used to) but im just not a huge fan of brass over all, i dont really like the yellow metals in general

as to the polishing i dont mind and in fact i like the look of patina on copper and brass plus the fact that half my degree's area of study is metal working its no biggie.

here is a hint though to those that dont want to have to polish it or want it to stay at a certain patina. get the Johnson's floor wax, get the metal to the level you want it then apply the wax, let sit for 5 mins and buff off. its not permanent but unless your really touching/washing the out side more than just a rinse it will last a good long while

-matt
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

dude if the vases are only $20.00...go for it. it doesn't hurt. its cool to mix it up every once in awhile and if something goes horribly wrong you just swap it and it's no big deal. the prices could rise, so you never know.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook