Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2nd attemp with my new KM Hookah with AF :(

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
bremen
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy 2nd attemp with my new KM Hookah with AF :(

You may have read my first post about my new KM hookah session which didnt go well atall, i got nicoteen sickness from Nakhla and i burnt the shisha XD i still need to improve my technique...

This time I bought some Al Fakher Strawberry and used Coconara coals. After 10 mins of the coals being on my gas burner thingy they has ashed all the way round so i put them on and started smoking. I had just had lunch, so my tummy was all full up and i wasnt smoking like a train and i was drinking water (thanks for the advice guys) but it was still tasting funny and kinda harsh in my throat, so i ashed the coals and they were mostly black under the ash!!!!! I looked at the shisha and it was a little burnt and smelt fucking horrible!!!!!

I have been looking at lots of 'How to' vidoes of how to set up my hookah and i do know what i am sapose to be doing but im obviously doing it wrong still. I would take a video of how I set my hookah up but i dont have a video camera and I dont know anyone who does have one

So if anyone is a magician can you please try to help me out?? I really really want to get this right!!!!

Thanks HP
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Default Re: 2nd attemp with my new KM Hookah with AF :(

Personally I do not like AF strawberry and I had the same problem as you. Not sure about our techniques but I think it's just AF strawberry in general. It has a creamy smell and not a great strawberry imo. My session with AF strawberry for the first time was horrible and it almost made me give up hookah forever haha.

But you can fix that burnt problem by keeping a good space between the foil and shisha. Don't pack it too tight, just sprinkle it in and keep a good distance between the foil and shisha and you'll be straight. Hope that helps.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM
adilm2k
Hookah Newbie

Ive never used that coal but by the looks of it i get the feeling its a wood coal that ashes alot and gets very hot. I get the feeling that your putting the coal in the middle of the head, its best to a few little pieces and have them sitting at the edge of the head, half on, half off so that you can smoke and not burn the top layer as you move them around every now and then. I suggest for this you use natural coals, i personlly like to use what people call the japanese coals, they are like a bar with a siver lining over them and when you heat them on a gas cooker the silver goes away leaving a hard red slab that lasts forever making it easier to have a few that you can move around. My second suggestion is that you use better flavours, Stick to AF and use things like Grape of Double apple (i hate apple but if you dont mind then its a nice strong flavour).

Remeber if the head gets to hot, take the coals off remove the top and blow through the bottom and allow the head to cool, the hotter the head the harsher the smoke. Apart from that remeber not to pack the head too much and make sure you flake the tobbaco in so there are air gaps between the leaves and take any hard stems out also make sure your holes are not too big, Cafes often put big holes to burn the shisha to get u 2 leave.

To be honest with you, Some people are stronger hookah smokers then others, I personally cannot smoke a good sized head on my own it gives me a bad stomach and makes me abit sick. Sometimes you just have to be in the mood for it.
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

How high do you pack your bowl?

Tried 2 sheets of foil?
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
bremen
Hookah Newbie

I did not pack my bowl to high because it burnt last time so i put less in so it wasnt as high. And i did sprinkle it in and didnt back it tight.
I bought AF double apple aswell so i'll try that one some time.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

try two sheets of foil, with a circular 3 row hole pattern, and make sure you keep the coals on the outside of the bowl, so they hangover a lil bit.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

you just have to experiment. I use 4 coconaras on my large funnel bown and I pack it (now) about even with the rim, maybe a little below it. I use an electric burner, so as soon as my coals are bright red, I put them on. I get huge clouds and rarely have heat problems.

back to my point, just experiment.
________
Ford Vega specifications

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
bremen
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeags777 View Post
you just have to experiment. I use 4 coconaras on my large funnel bown and I pack it (now) about even with the rim, maybe a little below it. I use an electric burner, so as soon as my coals are bright red, I put them on. I get huge clouds and rarely have heat problems.

but i dont understand, i pack the bowl below the rim and i dont squash down the shisha, i use two sheets of foil with a 3 ring hole pattern.
I use 3 ******* hookah coals on my small phunnle bowl, as far as i know im doing everything 'normal' but it still doesnt tast nice at all and there is hardly any smoke, im just getting tired of 'experimenting' and it is still not working.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Scrubmonkey
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Scrubmonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Scrubmonkey

are you rotating the coals at all? once it gets just a lil harsh tasting for me i move the coals to the other side of the bowl...
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeags777 View Post

This is EXACTLY how I do mine as well, Dont get me wrong, I love my egyptian bowl, but Ive never had sessions so good as when I use the funnel.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Trivial
Banned

I made a JM's packing video and it will work for AF also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdst7ArnR8U

-Just make sure the tin foil is really light... dont pack to much or too little.. you want about 2 quarters under the bowl...

-make sure you sprinkle it on

-try cutting your cocos in half and keep them on the rim

-warm your bowl more slowly.. if you try to heat it to fast your going to burn the top layer of tobacco

-patience patience patience when your first learning... dont get over excited and try to make it smoke right away,,, if you have to slowly warm it up so it take 30 minutes to get started then do that!

hope this helps
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
tahak1
Hookah Newbie

pack below he rim. also u might be using cheap, thin foil, try using two sheets. make sure the foil is tight so i won sag when u put the coals ontop, rotate coals often, if it gets harsh, purge it, and try aking one coal off or moving it nearer the edge of the bowl
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
zbanu
Hookah Nut

is your tobacco sticking to the foil after you have a look to see if it's burnt? if it is try something most people forget... a foil ring
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

af strawberry sucks. strawberry, cola, and ketchup(aka grape) are the only flavors of af that i hate. coconut coals almost always turn black on one side. just flip them and the black side turns red again. make sure your foil is tight like a drum.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
ROG
Hookah Nut

have you tired ice in the base i do that every time i i like it a lot
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:51 PM
juju312
Hookah Newbie

I've had problems very similar to yours, had the exact same AF flavor too. I got some good advice on heat management and the like from some more experienced HP members. Although I haven't actually tried any of the stuff that was recommended yet because I haven't smoked AF since then, hopefully it will help you out. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11664
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook