Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Acclimating some Peach Iced Tea I received today...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Acclimating some Peach Iced Tea I received today...

Hm, interesting. Thanks!
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ya i might pack it up, some times it just doesnt go. i also found some times if you put it in you tuperware container and let it sit a while "sealed" it acclimates out a bit since they are not super air tight (you can squeeze air out of them... at least the ones i have but they are the el cheapo versions)

-matt
+1

Create a mini "atmosphere" in some polypropolene (should have "PP" or the number 5 in the middle of the recycle symbol) containers and let it sit for a few days.
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:10 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
Wow, Tangiers is pretty good stuff, isn't it? How do you know when it's ready? Does all Tangiers have to acclimate?
Matt did a good job answering this question, but let me throw in my two cents.

Alot of people prefer a more safer, consistently performing tobacco.
Tangiers is not a "lock and load" tobacco that you can just slam into your bowl. It can be fussy depending on climate and packing. This is something that alot of people don't want to do so they avoid Tangiers altogether.
Totally understandable. Its when people bad mouth a product they don't know how to use or don't understand is when thier true colors come thorugh.Whatever. Bottom line is that I'd rather have a tobacco that is outstanding most of the time instead of a tobacco that is "ok" all the time.
In addition, Tangiers has some great flavors (with some more great ones in development), alot of which do not exist with anyother brand.
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Matt did a good job answering this question, but let me throw in my two cents.

Alot of people prefer a more safer, consistently performing tobacco.
Tangiers is not a "lock and load" tobacco that you can just slam into your bowl. It can be fussy depending on climate and packing. This is something that alot of people don't want to do so they avoid Tangiers altogether.
Totally understandable. Its when people bad mouth a product they don't know how to use or don't understand is when thier true colors come thorugh.Whatever. Bottom line is that I'd rather have a tobacco that is outstanding most of the time instead of a tobacco that is "ok" all the time.
In addition, Tangiers has some great flavors (with some more great ones in development), alot of which do not exist with anyother brand.
Thank you for the clarification!
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Yeah kind of the same problem, smell funny but i put the ziplock container with the tobacco in a box for a couple days in the corner mixing it up with a fork twice a day. It smell so good by day 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
i still have some blue gum ball that just refuses to acclimate. smells and tastes like absolute shit...bah
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i've heard putting tangiers in a gladware container then putting it in the fridge for 1-4 hours will "shock" the tobacco. do this if you cant get the tobacco to smell right. after that acclimate it like you normally would and no bbq sauce smell will remain...
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

i liv in england where its cold but pretty humid so would you recommend that i get tangiers or not
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingking View Post
i liv in england where its cold but pretty humid so would you recommend that i get tangiers or not
I've heard of a fair amount of people in the UK being able to acclimate and smoke Tangiers successfully.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I'd try the stuff but I don't want to have to fuss with it for a few days before I can smoke it. I like my tobacco idiot proof, pack-cover-apply heat-smoke repeat as often as necessary.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
i've heard putting tangiers in a gladware container then putting it in the fridge for 1-4 hours will "shock" the tobacco. do this if you cant get the tobacco to smell right. after that acclimate it like you normally would and no bbq sauce smell will remain...
I believe this is for when you don't get any taste when smoking it.. its a last resort
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Hey folks, update.

I've tried smoking this shisha 4-5 times since I made this post and it's been pretty awful almost every time. Maybe that's being a bit harsh, but the flavor is just so underwhelming and I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm using a Tangiers phunnel and using the 'dam' method of scooping the tobacco and evening it out with a fork. I use half a stick of an Exotica, snapped in two, that has been fully ashed before going anywhere near my hookah. I let it warm up for 5 minutes before I even start hitting it. We tried it the other night and were pulling tasteless smoke for 15 minutes before we gave up and decided to do something else. Clouds were fine, just the taste wasn't really there.

Maybe Tangiers just hates Masaschusettes weather.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

thats Tangiers...pretty much hit or miss.

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
Hey folks, update.

I've tried smoking this shisha 4-5 times since I made this post and it's been pretty awful almost every time. Maybe that's being a bit harsh, but the flavor is just so underwhelming and I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm using a Tangiers phunnel and using the 'dam' method of scooping the tobacco and evening it out with a fork. I use half a stick of an Exotica, snapped in two, that has been fully ashed before going anywhere near my hookah. I let it warm up for 5 minutes before I even start hitting it. We tried it the other night and were pulling tasteless smoke for 15 minutes before we gave up and decided to do something else. Clouds were fine, just the taste wasn't really there.

its finicky, i dont buy the fork method, i just pack it my hand hard enough so the juice is squeezing out a bit, pack it up to the level of the center hole, i dont wait at all once i coal, tangiers smokes really fast and a phunnel bowl smokes the first pull. i dont even put holes all the way down (some people feel it makes uneven heat pockets). some flavors are really light, some flavors have more issues, some time the humidity screws it up, sometimes its just a bad pack.

i like tangiers dont get my wrong but it can be a pain some times.
-matt
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:

Oh it does. I can tell you that from experience.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

If it smells great I shall smoketh it!
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

feels so good to live in los angeles and get to smoke the best tobacco whenever i want without worrying about the weather...

gods punishment for not living in heaven...err california.

on a serious note, alot of people have problems with it in mass. unfortunately thats how it goes
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Would the Lucid versions not have this problem since they're washed?
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Would the Lucid versions not have this problem since they're washed?
yes/no/maybe

a lot of people say lucid wont have the issues, yet others claim to have to acclimate but i dont think i have heard it being as bad ever. i honestly dont have to acclimate much if ever but i have gotten a few batches that never worked

-matt
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Your overpacking it. I was taught by Erik personally how to pack at his lounge and your probably burning it.

3 Golden Coals (small phunnel)

of if you prefer CH or Cocos or w/e coconut coals just do 1 and a half for a small phunnel yes I said 1 and a half

as for packing ehh there are many vids on youtube don't really want to type step by step on how to pack

Last edited by omgheyitskenny; July 18th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
Your overpacking it. I was taught by Erik personally how to pack at his lounge and your probably burning it.

3 Golden Coals (small phunnel)

of if you prefer CH or Cocos or w/e coconut coals just do 1 and a half for a small phunnel yes I said 1 and a half

as for packing ehh there are many vids on youtube don't really want to type step by step on how to pack
ive seen eric and others that work for him making tangiers give totally different ways of packing it, some over pack the crap out of it others dont, it really ends up having to be a personal thing, kinda like getting the right light on your cigar

-matt
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
annual
Hookah Nut

Quote:
ive seen eric and others that work for him making tangiers give totally different ways of packing it, some over pack the crap out of it others dont, it really ends up having to be a personal thing, kinda like getting the right light on your cigar

-matt

Well keep in mind if your overpacking it, you need less heat so whats why people burn their shit. Pack it tight in the bowl a little under the rim and push the foil down with ur palm to make sure its tight. then just poke a decent amount of holes. 3 goldens and u should be fine, if it doesnt taste good you didnt acclimate it right. packing is too overstressed by some people.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by annual View Post
Well keep in mind if your overpacking it, you need less heat so whats why people burn their shit. Pack it tight in the bowl a little under the rim and push the foil down with ur palm to make sure its tight. then just poke a decent amount of holes. 3 goldens and u should be fine, if it doesnt taste good you didnt acclimate it right. packing is too overstressed by some people.
i basically do that just not push the foil down, but i also push the shit out of it when i pack it. i agree that the packing can be over stressed but there is a lot of issues that come about from not packing it well from my experiences

-matt
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

its a shame he cant make a tobacco that doesnt require all this fuss and worry.

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
its a shame he cant make a tobacco that doesnt require all this fuss and worry.
lucid is pretty good about not having issues but i agree that i would love to have something from him with the same flavors but a bit drier and easier to smoke like nakhla

-matt
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
annual
Hookah Nut

Quote:
i basically do that just not push the foil down, but i also push the shit out of it when i pack it. i agree that the packing can be over stressed but there is a lot of issues that come about from not packing it well from my experiences

-matt
maybe not "pack the shit" out of it but give it a good press down. then make sure your holes are going thru the shisha not just the top layer, you want it to burn all the way to the bottom. hope it works out for you.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook