Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Burning shisha too fast

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM
ludos367
Hookah Newbie

Default Burning shisha too fast

hey guys sometimes i get the impression that when im starting up my hookah i take some long pulls at the beginning and i always get the feeling that im burning my shisha before it has time to warm up...i always take short pulls and always tell my friends to avoid taking hardcore pulls...fact or my crazy brain fantasy?
cheers
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel
Default Re: Burning shisha too fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludos367 View Post
hey guys sometimes i get the impression that when im starting up my hookah i take some long pulls at the beginning and i always get the feeling that im burning my shisha before it has time to warm up...i always take short pulls and always tell my friends to avoid taking hardcore pulls...fact or my crazy brain fantasy?
cheers

Well you would definitely taste it if it was burning.
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
cjhopkins
Hookah Newbie

Well that could be a factor, but you need to think about how many holes you are poking... the more holes=more heat, and vise versa. I have a mini phunnel and I usually poke 50 to 55 holes depending on the shisha. and you have to think about how much heat and what type of coals you are using aswell. I use with the mini phunnel 3 shishaco coals. So if you have the wrong setup pulling really hard at first can bring in a lot of unwanted heat that will in fact burn your shisha from the start. I hope that helps.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
ludos367
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhopkins View Post
Well that could be a factor, but you need to think about how many holes you are poking... the more holes=more heat, and vise versa. I have a mini phunnel and I usually poke 50 to 55 holes depending on the shisha. and you have to think about how much heat and what type of coals you are using aswell. I use with the mini phunnel 3 shishaco coals. So if you have the wrong setup pulling really hard at first can bring in a lot of unwanted heat that will in fact burn your shisha from the start. I hope that helps.
cheers mate so if im using three kings quicklight (1 33mm at a time), egyptian bowl, generic hookah 30 inch, and im poking round 30-45 holes should i decrease the number?
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
boxerbabe84
Hookah Nut

Really the number of holes is not all that important. You really just need air flow. If you poke your holes and suck on the bottom of the bowl and it is restricted, you need to add more. Just add holes until you can suck in with little to no resistance. Hope this helps.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM
cjhopkins
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludos367 View Post
cheers mate so if im using three kings quicklight (1 33mm at a time), egyptian bowl, generic hookah 30 inch, and im poking round 30-45 holes should i decrease the number?
Well there are a couple things you could do.... First is you could still have the same amount of coals and same amount of holes but you could have the coals half on the bowl, in other words keep the coals from touching all of the foil. Or you could only use 2 coals and poke 10 more holes to ensure you will not be burning the shisha, but you might have to use a wind cover at the end of your session.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i see no problem, just as long as you know when it's about to burn and you ash/move the coals correctly. if it's still smooth but you can tell it's trying to burn your throat, ash, purge, rotate.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Number of holes rarely matters unless it's extreme. Like say if you only poke ten holes or poked holes to the point that the foil was losing it's structure. Poking ten more holes or ten less holes is not going to make a big difference. I have never counted the holes in the foil and don't see a reason to.

Just poke three rings of holes with about an eight inch in between each hole and you will be fine. I use that set up on almost every bowl I have. Watch some of the bowl prep videos in our archive to get a good idea of what other people do.

The actual problem is that you need to let your bowl heat up and stop trying to force smoke out of it right from the start. If you pull too fast and too hard it's easy to over cook and even burn the tobacco. Let the coals sit on the bowl for a minute with a wind cover on before you take your first pull and you should be pleased with the results.

Last edited by kalutika; June 10th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

When u make the holes push the thing (i use a needle) to the bottom of the bowl, should help alot with the air flow
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
SammyTheHookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiller View Post
When u make the holes push the thing (i use a needle) to the bottom of the bowl, should help alot with the air flow
im goin 2 try this. good suggestion
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook