Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Addiction!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Default Addiction!

I was wondering if anyone is actually addicted to smoking hookah like someone who is addicted to cigarrettes?
Thought it would be interesting to see, ive got no idea because I only smoke at the weekend, and even then not too much.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
cjhopkins
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
I was wondering if anyone is actually addicted to smoking hookah like someone who is addicted to cigarrettes?
Thought it would be interesting to see, ive got no idea because I only smoke at the weekend, and even then not too much.
It isn't that way for me, I think the situation I get into like hanging out with friends who smoke, or being in the same situation as when I smoke... if that makes any sense ha. But I don't get urges or cravings to smoke. I just do it to have fun with friends.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I smoke prob around 5-6 days of the week, I thoroughly enjoy it and can personally say I am not addicted. In fact, Ive never been "addicted" to anything in my life, it's just not the way I am. I have tried many things in life that would incite addiction in many people (cigs, rollercoasters, breakneck fast cars, drinking, etc etc) and although I did not have any bad experiences (many of them quite good) I never NEEDED them. Hookah could stop tomorrow and id be fine (although bored).

Now the definition of addiction may be diff as per individual.

Being able to relax 3 hours a day, that much during a week is a luxury for me and while I do not "crave" having the hookah, it is something I look forward too (I could just as easily sit and read a book for that period of time and be relaxed however it wouldnt be AS enjoyable ).

Last edited by Shienhausser; June 10th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yes, while i am smoking more frequently, i wouldnt call it an addiction. I have gone on vacations and trips that a 3 weeks long and i had no trouble stopping smoking. From what i heard, in cigarettes, there are chemicals in them that get you addicted to them more so than the nicotine, that is why nicotine patch or gum treatments to try to stop smoking rarely work, and thats also why people can get reluctant to switch brands or kinds of cigarettes because they are afraid that it might not satisfy their craving of those chemicals. Personally, i dont smoke cigarettes so its hard to tell you first hand about an addiction to them. But with hookah, stopping is really not that hard.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Is there anyone that smokes hookah as well as cigarrettes who can compare it?
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Compare what?

Strength of an addiction is based on the individual IMO (and possibly additives when it comes to food/cigs), it's a fascinating subject as are all things related to the human brain.

There are people addicted to everything and anything in all various intensities, are you just looking for someone to say "yes I am addicted" b/c as with everything that stimulates the brain, there will be at least someone that says they are.

I would think it hard to measure addiction as some people would just really like something, just need it, or would kill for it, all different!

Last edited by Shienhausser; June 10th, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i smoke hookah every day when im up at school usually 2 bowls. when i visit home for the summer and breaks i dont smoke as often since i cant smoke inside and while i would like to smoke i dont need to by any means.

my personal opinion on nicotine addiction is this, nicotine it self is not much more addictive than caffeine however when they add in all the chemicals in to cigs and other mainstream tobacco products that is what causes the excessive addiction. i also think a lot of it is psychological addiction. given addictive personalities do make it easier to feel the need and all but i really think those that say nicotine is super addictive are not very strong willed thus adding to how hard it is to make the change

-matt
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I smoke every day, and it's always unwashed shisha nowadays (which I smoke really really fast) so I'd say I'm definitely addicted to the nicotine. No doubt about it really...
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

I'm addicted, but not the nicotine part of it, its all of the aspects of hookah and everything that comes with it. I love relaxing, setting up, i love the clouds, i love good flavors. It's not the nicotine that makes you addicted, its the joy and good times of smoking hookah.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM
ROG
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Yes, while i am smoking more frequently, i wouldnt call it an addiction. I have gone on vacations and trips that a 3 weeks long and i had no trouble stopping smoking. From what i heard, in cigarettes, there are chemicals in them that get you addicted to them more so than the nicotine, that is why nicotine patch or gum treatments to try to stop smoking rarely work, and thats also why people can get reluctant to switch brands or kinds of cigarettes because they are afraid that it might not satisfy their craving of those chemicals. Personally, i dont smoke cigarettes so its hard to tell you first hand about an addiction to them. But with hookah, stopping is really not that hard.

i know first hand there is some truth to this i have two friends who i smoke hookah with all the time and they both smoke cigarettes and most of the time they have to smoke right after smoking hookah and right in the middle of a sesson i have smoked atleast twice a week for a year now and i have no problem with it
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myka View Post
I'm addicted, but not the nicotine part of it, its all of the aspects of hookah and everything that comes with it. I love relaxing, setting up, i love the clouds, i love good flavors. It's not the nicotine that makes you addicted, its the joy and good times of smoking hookah.
This is a good example of what I was talking about,

for you, the joy of the process is what you crave/enjoy, not necessarily the headrush.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

I'm personally not addicted, I've gone for weeks without smoking without any problem. I do however, like previous posters, enjoy sitting out on the screened in porch and relaxing with a good book, chill music in the background, a perfectly prepared hookah, and an expertly mixed spanish manhattan. It's something of a tradition for me, and while it happens 5-6 nights a week it isn't something I need, just what I would call a perfect way to wrap up the day
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

I smoke both cigs and Hookah. Cigarettes are a real addiction, comparable I would say to Heroin, except legal and that's what makes it worse. However I chose to stop smoking for 6 weeks not long ago. After that I DECIDED to take it back up.

As for the Hookah it is more like having that last piece of cake sitting on the counter. You know it is great to have it and you may really want it, but you don't need it.
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
Is there anyone that smokes hookah as well as cigarrettes who can compare it?
yes i smoke Both.. and there is nooooo camparison.. i actually havnt smoked in over a week been way tooo busy.. but i always find the time to smoke plently of cigarettes through out the day.. Hookah is too long of a proccess to get addicted to.. and there isnt enough nicotine to calm your cravings.
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
MN_Clouds
Hookah Newbie

[quote=mattathayde;164787

my personal opinion on nicotine addiction is this, nicotine it self is not much more addictive than caffeine however when they add in all the chemicals in to cigs and other mainstream tobacco products that is what causes the excessive addiction.

[/quote]

not quite. My lab team and I at school conducted an analysis (a test to see how good you were at detecting trace compounds) and we obtained a list of all the chemicals contained in a cigarette (and wrapping paper). suprisingly few of them were habit forming, certainly none are as potent or prevalent as nicotine

myself, I don't smoke hookah often enough to get addicted (at least I tell myself that.) A few short sessions a week is the max I do.
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Clouds View Post
not quite. My lab team and I at school conducted an analysis (a test to see how good you were at detecting trace compounds) and we obtained a list of all the chemicals contained in a cigarette (and wrapping paper). suprisingly few of them were habit forming, certainly none are as potent or prevalent as nicotine

myself, I don't smoke hookah often enough to get addicted (at least I tell myself that.) A few short sessions a week is the max I do.
ya i have heard that the other chemicals them selves are not addictive but there is so much bio chemistry that we dont understand and compounding stuff its next to impossible to tell how it will react in your body (like how you have a bunch of meds that are fine by them selves but when they are together they do crazy things)

-matt
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

I can stop any time I want...I swear!
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

I smoked ciggs for years and it took me 7 tries to quit--it was the patch that finally set me free. That was over ten years ago. I've smoked several cigars since that time but it never woke up the beast. Then, one month ago, I smoked my first hookah and it was like I was addicted all over again. Major nicotine buzz, much stronger than I ever got from cigars. Little Nicky was wide awake! I woke up the next morning aching for that nicotine buzz and, frankly, have been wanting it every day since! I'm all too familiar with that craving.

Sunday I finally ordered myself a hoookah and a wide selection of Saalaam and Hydro Herbal shishas. I will NOT get hooked on nicotine again, but I would love to smoke again. I don't miss being addicted to nicotine, but I do miss smoking. It was quite pleasurable.

I confess to buying some regular shisha tobacco as well, but only a bit. I will save it for rare and special occasions otherwise I'd be hooked all over again.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

I'm not addicted but I start to itch and twitch when I don't smoke hookah for a few hours.
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Fall
Hookah Nut

If you don't smoke cigarettes and are addicted to hookah, you have some pretty weak self control. Seriously, i know its a fun hobby but if you convince yourself you might be addicted because you love keeping yourself busy with your rig, you need to re-evaluate yourself not the pipe. For real, don't be a noob and if you honestly think you are addicted put it away for a full month, no more no less.

I'm far more addicted to caffeine then hookah, and I've been smoking argillah years before i started drinking coffee.
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
If you don't smoke cigarettes and are addicted to hookah, you have some pretty weak self control. Seriously, i know its a fun hobby but if you convince yourself you might be addicted because you love keeping yourself busy with your rig, you need to re-evaluate yourself not the pipe. For real, don't be a noob and if you honestly think you are addicted put it away for a full month, no more no less.

I'm far more addicted to caffeine then hookah, and I've been smoking argillah years before i started drinking coffee.
Hey now, I transferred my pipe/cig addiction to hookah. I smoke strong shisha and that gets me by... I'm definitely still addicted to the nicotine.
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
MN_Clouds
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ya i have heard that the other chemicals them selves are not addictive but there is so much bio chemistry that we dont understand and compounding stuff its next to impossible to tell how it will react in your body (like how you have a bunch of meds that are fine by them selves but when they are together they do crazy things)

-matt
actually, because it is such a hot-button issue, cigarette smoke (and the raw ingredients) effects have been studied in-depth. We know what the composition of cigarette smoke is and the effects of those compounds on the body. As far as the addictive aspect of cigarettes, nicotine is far and away the dominant force in being addicted to smoking.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Fall
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
Hey now, I transferred my pipe/cig addiction to hookah. I smoke strong shisha and that gets me by... I'm definitely still addicted to the nicotine.
You missed my point, i said if you DO NOT smoke cigarettes, and only hookah getting addicted is pretty sad. You may smoke unwashed strong tobacco, but most people smoke the fruity bubble gum crap for $10 a bowl.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
You missed my point, i said if you DO NOT smoke cigarettes, and only hookah getting addicted is pretty sad. You may smoke unwashed strong tobacco, but most people smoke the fruity bubble gum crap for $10 a bowl.
Studies are showing you get more nicotine from hookah smoking than cigarette smoking. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276048,00.html Just because it's smoother and sweeter doesn't mean there's less nicotine in it. I find it hard to believe that regular tobacco hookah smokers aren't getting addicted to nicotine.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG View Post
i know first hand there is some truth to this i have two friends who i smoke hookah with all the time and they both smoke cigarettes and most of the time they have to smoke right after smoking hookah and right in the middle of a sesson i have smoked atleast twice a week for a year now and i have no problem with it

I have friends who smoke and after a session with the hookah they still crave a cigarrette which makes me feel better about smoking shisha i have to say :P
Share with your friends on facebook