Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Addiction!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 11th, 2009, 02:50 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
I smoked ciggs for years and it took me 7 tries to quit--it was the patch that finally set me free. That was over ten years ago. I've smoked several cigars since that time but it never woke up the beast. Then, one month ago, I smoked my first hookah and it was like I was addicted all over again. Major nicotine buzz, much stronger than I ever got from cigars. Little Nicky was wide awake! I woke up the next morning aching for that nicotine buzz and, frankly, have been wanting it every day since! I'm all too familiar with that craving.

Sunday I finally ordered myself a hoookah and a wide selection of Saalaam and Hydro Herbal shishas. I will NOT get hooked on nicotine again, but I would love to smoke again. I don't miss being addicted to nicotine, but I do miss smoking. It was quite pleasurable.

I confess to buying some regular shisha tobacco as well, but only a bit. I will save it for rare and special occasions otherwise I'd be hooked all over again.
Be careful man, we wouldnt want u to start smoking fags again...Americans dont say "fags" as in cigarrettes do they...well you get my point
But still enjoy that hookah, you should be fine, a bunch of my mates smoke cigarrattes and the hookah never satisfies their cravings.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
I have friends who smoke and after a session with the hookah they still crave a cigarrette which makes me feel better about smoking shisha i have to say :P
I've seen cigarette smokers do that too. But then I've seen people take a perfectly nicotine-filled wad of dip out of their mouth because they were in the mood for a cig instead. Cigarettes have an entirely different taste and feel than hookah, if you're a regular smoker, you're going to miss that taste no matter how much nicotine you've been soaking up.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Be careful man, we wouldnt want u to start smoking fags again...Americans dont say "fags" as in cigarrettes do they...well you get my point
But still enjoy that hookah, you should be fine, a bunch of my mates smoke cigarrattes and the hookah never satisfies their cravings.
I get too easily addicted, I'll stick to the tobacco free shisha. No reason to spark off my nicotine addiction again. Not when all I really want is the smoking experience, not the buzz.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Fall
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Studies are showing you get more nicotine from hookah smoking than cigarette smoking. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276048,00.html Just because it's smoother and sweeter doesn't mean there's less nicotine in it. I find it hard to believe that regular tobacco hookah smokers aren't getting addicted to nicotine.
First, Fox News .

/Sigh, are we really comparing cigarette addiction to hookah addiction? Did you guys not see the movie "The Insider"? Its a true story about whistle blower in a cigarette company who speaks out about injecting there products with chemicals to make the effects of nicotine more addictive. When it comes to tests, there have been no inclusive studies that show hookahs contain more nicotine and are more addictive, they mainly try to show they are worse.

I've been smoking for a good three years now (half the time not knowing whats in the bowl) and I've never touched a cigarette. The logic in this topic says i should i be addicted, but simply i'm not. All i know is, when i pack a bowl of nahkla i know i'm smoking tobacco leaves in a molasses + glycerin coating. And if i wash of that syrup off i'll have yellow strips of leaves, straight up tobacco no ifs, ands, or butts. If i cut open a cigarette on the other hand, Good luck identifying everything crammed in there.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
SammyTheHookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Studies are showing you get more nicotine from hookah smoking than cigarette smoking. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276048,00.html Just because it's smoother and sweeter doesn't mean there's less nicotine in it. I find it hard to believe that regular tobacco hookah smokers aren't getting addicted to nicotine.
it depends on what shisha you smoke. you can get some that have 0.05% nicotine in it or you can get some which have 27%. either way both of these dont have as much nicotine as a pack of 20 cigarettes
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

i smoke hookah and cigs with hookah for me its more of a mental addiction for me sort of a way of relaxing slowing down in a way makes me happy therefore i do it often. now with cigs that is a chemical addiction i feal a very strong urge to smoke if i haven't in a while like i need a cig. with hookah i dont get that "need" i just want to
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

I wouldn't say addiction as much as something to look foward to. I'll be at work thinking "it'd be nice to light up the hookah when I get home", and once I've gotten home I'll just be too tired or lazy to set it up so I figure "oh well, smoke some other time".

I've also got friends that are addicted to ciggarettes and I know they always say they are going to try and limit thier smoking, but still wind up going through as many as they normally would. And I know I can take breaks from smoking whenever I want/need to. I went 2 weeks without smoking hookah while recovering from surgery only in anticipation for the day the doctor finally said "ok, you can go back to your regular lifestyle again". I wanted hookah, didn't feel the NEED to smoke though.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

Dunno, think im addicted, but a busy week of work/practise and no hookah and the need is gone for me, quit cigs 10 months ago for a girl, 1 day just didnt smoke any.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Haha, some of you totally crave nicotine and just don't realize it. I'm sure you all really do love setting up and smoking your hookahs, but there's a chemical thing going on inside of you, too.

There's no real comparison between hookah and cigarettes, though. Cigarettes give you on-the-go fixes and forms habits extremely quickly. I go off and on them - smoke one month, don't smoke the next. One gets so used to taking a break from work and having a cigarette, getting off your shift and having a cigarette, smoking a cigarette in the car, etc.

I've stopped smoking cigarettes for quite awhile now, but I do notice that if I've smoked hookah for a few days in a row, on that fourth day I will have a slight craving for some smoke.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
If i cut open a cigarette on the other hand, Good luck identifying everything crammed in there.
I roll my own cigarettes with local smoke-shop rolling tobacco or smoke Nat Shermans, a 100% natural tobacco cigarette, and they are just as addictive and produce just as much tar and nicotine, if not more so, than big-brand cigarettes.

Yes, those extra chemicals and whatnot that Marlboro and their friends toss in cigarettes aren't good for you. People need to stop kidding themselves. Whether it's a Camel or an American Spirits or a rolled cigarette, whatever... You are breathing in fire, you are breathing in burning paper, your are breathing in burning tobacco. This produces carcinogens and tar and sends nicotine into your body.

Hookah is slightly different, but it's still not good for you, and don't try to diminish that fact. Just take it as it is. It's worth it if you think it increases the quality of your life!
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
First, Fox News .

/Sigh, are we really comparing cigarette addiction to hookah addiction? Did you guys not see the movie "The Insider"? Its a true story about whistle blower in a cigarette company who speaks out about injecting there products with chemicals to make the effects of nicotine more addictive. When it comes to tests, there have been no inclusive studies that show hookahs contain more nicotine and are more addictive, they mainly try to show they are worse.

I've been smoking for a good three years now (half the time not knowing whats in the bowl) and I've never touched a cigarette. The logic in this topic says i should i be addicted, but simply i'm not. All i know is, when i pack a bowl of nahkla i know i'm smoking tobacco leaves in a molasses + glycerin coating. And if i wash of that syrup off i'll have yellow strips of leaves, straight up tobacco no ifs, ands, or butts. If i cut open a cigarette on the other hand, Good luck identifying everything crammed in there.
I can only truly speak from my own experience. The nicotine in the hookah was, well, it was freaking awesome. And I woke up wanting that buzz the next day. And I've wanted more ever since. Not the hookah experience, that wonderful buzz! No, I haven't wanted a cigarette. They taste nasty. I've considered slapping on a patch though! But I wont. The beast is awake but he's not uncontrollable. No more nicotine for ME. Not from hookah, it's too strong (wonderfully strong). Yet I did fine on cigars and that never woke up my nicotine addiction. For whatever reason, I get some major nicotine from hookah.

I won't discount the idea that they put chemicals in cigarettes that make them addictive. I wouldn't put that past any major company! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover that I was addicted to those additives. I have done no research on it so I can't begin to guess. I can say that I was addicted to nicotine though and that smoking reminded my body, loudly and clearly, that I still am to some extent. It wouldn't take much to get me hooked again.

I do know that some people are naturally going to be more susceptible to becoming addicted to various substances in general. I'm a perfect example of someone who should never use drugs, legal or otherwise.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
Hookah is slightly different, but it's still not good for you, and don't try to diminish that fact. Just take it as it is. It's worth it if you think it increases the quality of your life!
Amen.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Gadfly
Hookah Pro

I've smoked cigs for around 6 years and just got a new hookah Monday and started smoking the hookah again after 4 years or so. To be honest I've tried to quit smoking a few times but I tend to get seriously agitated at everything around me. As of now I'm using the shisha as a catalyst to get off of cigs and stick to the hookah. So far I haven't touched a cig since Monday at 4pm nor have I really wanted one after my first try of Nakhla DA. I'm only doing two 45 min - 1hr sessions a day and it's killed the craving of cigs. So hopefully my whole quit smoking with smoking plan will work. But I'll say I'd rather smoke hookah than cigarettes anyday. Long live the Hookah
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Is there anyone that smokes hookah as well as cigarrettes who can compare it?
I used to smoke cigs but I was not addicted at all. And i am losing my touch with hookah so ya... I only can enjoy 3 flavors now..
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
I used to smoke cigs but I was not addicted at all. And i am losing my touch with hookah so ya... I only can enjoy 3 flavors now..
ya i got that way with flavors but since ive been back home for summer and dont smoke any where near as much as i used to i like a lot more of my flavors i have

-matt
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

smoking is bad. mmkay?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook