Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New tobacco law. Will it affect hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y
Default New tobacco law. Will it affect hookah?

Check out

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...o-regulations/
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Default Re: New tobacco law. Will it affect hookah?

It did in the uk, so i guess the US will follow suit
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I dont blame them for wanting to reduce the cost of tobacco illness/death, it seems cigs are the main target of this but we will see. Either way if it is effective in what it is trying to do then thats great, even if we have to suffer a bit.

I do however blame you for making me go to a Fox News website, im going to go reformat my hard drive now, lol.

Last edited by Shienhausser; June 12th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

(First thing, Fox News? Seriously?)

And what are you asking here? WIll it affect availibility of hookahs? The availibility of shisha? The nicotine content of shisha? How many different brands and flavors there are? What are we asking?

As for some of those, hookahs and shisha should still be fine. This bill focuses mostly on cigarettes, and the part that most people take issue with states that there will be no flavorings in cigarettes as it tempts underage smokers. What that makes me wonder is are Black & Milds, Phillies, and Dutchies under the same regulation? I will miss my occasional peach Dutchie, and my wine B&Ms.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Grrr.
I surely hope not. I do enjoy smoking my hookah because it is relaxing and legal. It would be nice if i could continue smoking a couple times a week most weeks without another governmental agency fuddling things up.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i dont think its going to change much in hookah, or in RYO tobacco.

frankly i dont see why they even passed this since camels had the flavored cigs and those went off the market a few years ago.

i know people were worried hookah would get issues but from the way the report is written it looks like flavored cigs only not other types of tobacco (if they didnt get rid of other flavored tobacco the only thing that is going to disappear at 7-11 is dip and the shitty cigars no change in cigs)

i dont think it will effect the RYO just from the way the write up looks, i havent gotten to see the bill itself yet though

if the government tries to make tobacco totally illegal its going to be just like prohibition where every one still used it and got the law turned over

the thing that also doesnt make sense in that almost all teen smoking is not of flavored tobacco or cloves or what not its the general light, medium, reg, and menthol cigs

they need to make a law that says cigs can be made only from "a rolling paper/tube, a filter, and 100% tobacco in side" that will take away a lot of issues i think to start, not make them safe but probably not make them as bad

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; June 12th, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
they need to make a law that says cigs can be made only from "a rolling paper/tube, a filter, and 100% tobacco in side" that will take away a lot of issues i think to start, not make them safe but probably not make them as bad

-matt

-matt
They would need to specify what type of tube, otherwise the BTCs would just start putting the additives in the paper instead of the tobacco.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
They would need to specify what type of tube, otherwise the BTCs would just start putting the additives in the paper instead of the tobacco.
+1234, very very good point

lets just make the paper out of a tobacco leaf like bidis are

-matt
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
+1234, very very good point

lets just make the paper out of a tobacco leaf like bidis are

-matt
Could you put a filter in a bidi? Cuz if you could, that would be really cool. 100% tobacco cig.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
like bidis are

-matt
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

even though they say cig flavors ... i can see it going after the small flavored cigars .. and to an extent even the flavored other tobacco that is out there (pipes and hookahs) ... what that means is companies will instead need to sell a squeeze bottle with the flavoring and such in it .. and we just buy plain old tobacco ... and mix it ourself to continue enjoying the flavors we enjoy ...
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

ill just switch to Zaghoul/tombac/desi/salloum etc.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

I don't get why people go so crazy about fox news?

That article was obviously unbiased, but go ahead read it on "unbiased" cnn.

Text of the bill: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:5:./temp/~c111XRX8uw::

All these are mentioned in the new law:
Cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products, little cigars, cigars other than little cigars, pipe tobacco, and roll your-own tobacco products.
The only thing it says about ALL of these is that the Secretary can't ban them and can't force nicotine to 0 on them.

As for flavors, it only says that about cigarettes... So little cigars (B&M's, etc) and shisha tobacco should be fine.

Last edited by Royal2000H; June 12th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Devil- View Post
even though they say cig flavors ... i can see it going after the small flavored cigars .. and to an extent even the flavored other tobacco that is out there (pipes and hookahs) ... what that means is companies will instead need to sell a squeeze bottle with the flavoring and such in it .. and we just buy plain old tobacco ... and mix it ourself to continue enjoying the flavors we enjoy ...
if they go after other flavored stuff dip will be very high on the list and i dont think the government is dumb enough to piss off a bunch of rednecks with guns.

ya i was thinking about the flavoring separate too

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
Could you put a filter in a bidi? Cuz if you could, that would be really cool. 100% tobacco cig.
probably i just dont know how well it would work

also no where do i see any limits on the flavoring at all, only that they have to be listed at least as spices or natural/artificial flavor which all hookah tobacco already does.

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; June 12th, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Quote:
also no where do i see any limits on the flavoring at all, only that they have to be listed at least as spices or natural/artificial flavor which all hookah tobacco already does.

-matt
They do limit it...but like I said, only cigarettes.
Quote:
SPECIAL RULE FOR CIGARETTES- Beginning 3 months after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a cigarette or any of its component parts (including the tobacco, filter, or paper) shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee, that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to limit the Secretary's authority to take action under this section or other sections of this Act applicable to menthol or any artificial or natural flavor, herb, or spice not specified in this subparagraph.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

One thing I have noticed about the recent tobacco laws is that they are either not enforced/little effect, or they don't touch the hookahs.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hmm i didnt see that when i looked through, what section is that in?

and ya its really easy to get around it by just selling it on the side (not like there are any flavored cigs any more other than cloves which i honestly think is retarded they are getting rid of those since they were great cigs, the only thing i would think about smoking any more probably)

i kind of expect there to be enough of a complaint that some of this will get amended later after people that smoke cloves complain and when they see that this is going to hurt the tax revenue, cause honestly there are 2 type of clove purchases, once in a while and all the time, the all the time buyers are probably not going to switch to something else and the occasional smokers might either buy less or just buy regular cigs but either way the govt is still losing tax money

-matt
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
One thing I have noticed about the recent tobacco laws is that they are either not enforced/little effect, or they don't touch the hookahs.
ya honestly i think its because its not a huge number of people, legislators dont really understand them or dont know how to classify them, or they are just that behind what is going on that they are not knocking down a popular tobacco product... then again flavored cigs have pretty much been gone for the last few years and they are now passing a bill to kick out the few packs of flavored cloves that are sold basically giving RJ and PM full control of the cig market

-matt
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
..then again flavored cigs have pretty much been gone for the last few years and they are now passing a bill to kick out the few packs of flavored cloves that are sold basically giving RJ and PM full control of the cig market

-matt
Who do you think sponsored this bill? Also, the FDA will be the enforcing entity on this legislation. Most hookah tobacco makers worth thier salt make sure that all thier ingredients are already FDA compliant.
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
It did in the uk, so i guess the US will follow suit
same here in germany. so i guess its the same with the us
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Who do you think sponsored this bill? Also, the FDA will be the enforcing entity on this legislation. Most hookah tobacco makers worth thier salt make sure that all thier ingredients are already FDA compliant.
o ya i know that the big tobacco names had their hands in all the taxes and stuff (come on 60 cents on a pack of cigs yet 23 bucks on a pound of RYO when RYO is probably not as bad for health)

-matt
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

From the BBC

Quote:
The bill empowers the FDA to:
[LIST][*]Limit nicotine levels - though not banning nicotine or cigarettes entirely[*]Attempt to limit the appeal of smoking among young people, by limiting the use of flavours, restricting advertising in publications targeting young people, and banning outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet (300m) of schools[*]Require tobacco companies to get FDA approval for new products[*]Bar terms such as "light" or "mild" in tobacco packaging which imply a smaller risk to health, and introduce graphic new health warnings of packets[/LIST]
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Does anybody really believe that this will at all affect the amount of people smoking in the United States?
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
Does anybody really believe that this will at all affect the amount of people smoking in the United States?
the anti tobacco lobbyists do but the rest of us know it wont. only thing it does is make people who are already prone to getting pissy with out smokes unable to get a variation with the cloves lines. probably going to make less than 1% of a dent in sales

im glad they need to list all the ingredients now, maybe big tobacco will be pushed to stop putting so much shit in the cigs
-matt
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

if anything it will draw more attention to smoking and get more people to try it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook