Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New tobacco law. Will it affect hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: New tobacco law. Will it affect hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Devil- View Post
if anything it will draw more attention to smoking and get more people to try it.
meh idk, maybe with the people that follow the "im not supposed to so it must be great". i know i started smoking a bit because my friend did it and i was bored, then continued to do it because there was literally nothing to do in the town i grew up in, went to college and kept doing it a bit randomly and then just kinda stopped once i could smoke hookah every day. havent smoked in like 6 months, but i didnt really smoke very much to begin with.

frankly i dont think "keeping kids from smoking" is going to matter, if people have addictive personalities they are going to try substances and use one or more a lot.

-matt
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
Smoking is responsible for more than 30 percent of all cancer deaths, said Dr. Douglas Blayney, president of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The bill, he said, "should have a huge impact on reducing the death and disease brought on by tobacco use."
Would be interesting to know what causes the other 70 % and why that is not addressed as a more urgent and dire problem than going after the Smokers. Furthermore it seems this is like the Gun law stating Guns kill people which is wrong it is Idiots with guns that kill people. Just as a Gun cannot get up and walk out the home and decide to kill someone. A cigarette or Tobacco cannot decide to give someone Cancer. The human body has cancer cells in them period all have it just in some the cells are more prone to be virulent it is called Genetics.
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:27 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
Would be interesting to know what causes the other 70 % and why that is not addressed as a more urgent and dire problem than going after the Smokers. Furthermore it seems this is like the Gun law stating Guns kill people which is wrong it is Idiots with guns that kill people. Just as a Gun cannot get up and walk out the home and decide to kill someone. A cigarette or Tobacco cannot decide to give someone Cancer. The human body has cancer cells in them period all have it just in some the cells are more prone to be virulent it is called Genetics.
exactly, its misuse of anything that causes issues.

i would be hard pressed to think its 30% of all cancer deaths, thats probability half truth, maybe 30% of lung cancer deaths. smoking a pack a day came out to raise cancer rate from 1% to 7%, where as cigar and pipe smokers had LESS rate of cancer (due to relaxing).

i really want to see a comparison done of people that smoked a pack of cigs with modern mixtures to those that smoked cigs without all the additives and crap and see who is in worth helth, i would be the newer cigs would give more issues

-matt
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

smoking can lead you to a whole of a lot more cancers than just lung cancer.
As for the gun comment, that's not relevant to this discussion.

Say guns were marketed as something you buy and shoot yourself in the foot a couple of times every day. Then you got addicted to shooting yourself in the foot. And now you have to shoot yourself in the foot multiple times a day... THEN you can relate guns to cigarettes.

Also, the FDA regulation on Nicotine is important because Big Tobacco have been saying one thing but doing another. For example, saying 2% nicotine but putting 5%.
This will force them to put 2% if they say 2%.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

also wait till they move the cig sales from the convience store to the drug store ... and make it so that you can only buy so many oz of tobacco per month ...
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Raspinudo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienhausser View Post

I do however blame you for making me go to a Fox News website, im going to go reformat my hard drive now, lol.
It crashed my computer and filled it up with ub3r right wing crap!
Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I just wish the government wouldn't act like our parents. If we want to hurt ourselves, let us do it. They should only be making laws to stop us from hurting each other. Plus making flavored tobacco unavailable so that kids arent tempted to us it is like banning sex so that kids don't do it before they're ready.

Adults should be free to make choices for themselves even if they are unhealthy. Legislation should only be allowed to deflect kids from use, not ban legitimate products.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
texashookah
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Hopefully hookah tobacco won't be touched in this new law. Texas just passed a ridiculous tobacco tax in Sept - $1.10/ounce. I don't think we can handle anything more ridiculous.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

"The New York City Council has passed a bill that outlaws sales of all flavored tobacco products — going a few steps beyond a federal ban.

The Food and Drug Administration recently banned manufacturing, importing, marketing and distribution of cigarettes made to taste like candy, fruit and cloves.

The City Council passed a bill Wednesday that would include all flavored tobacco products, like small cigars and chewing tobacco. The law would ban sales in New York City.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg supports the bill and is expected to sign it.

The FDA is looking at whether to add more of those products to its ban.

Officials and health experts say flavored products are more appealing to young people and can hook children on smoking and tobacco at young ages.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nyc_considers_flavored_tobacco_b...

Yea 3 minutes worth of not screaming the sky is falling and look what I found sirs and mams:

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg signed legislation on Wednesday to prohibit the sale of most forms of flavored tobacco products in New York City. The new law is more extensive than the federal Food and Drug Administration’s ban on candy- and fruit-flavored cigarettes, which took effect last month.

The City Council approved the bill on Oct. 14. The legislation covers “chocolate, vanilla, honey, candy, cocoa, dessert, alcoholic beverage, herb or spice flavors,” but exempts “tobacco, menthol, mint or wintergreen flavors.”

The city ban includes cigars and smokeless tobacco, while the federal ban is limited to cigarettes. That ban prohibits the sale of cigarettes with “an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee.”

While the city’s adult smoking rate has fallen — a development that the mayor has repeatedly trumpeted as a public health success — the Council said that the proportion of public high school students in the city who said they smoked only cigars and cigarillos had tripled since 2001. Flavored tobacco products are often marketed at the young.

Violators of the new city law may be fined up to $2,000 or have their tobacco-vending license suspended.

Hookah falls under Pipe Tobacco.
"
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:02 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Plus making flavored tobacco unavailable so that kids arent tempted to use it is like banning sex so that kids don't do it before they're ready.
Really wouldn't surprise me with the way things are going...
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
I just wish the government wouldn't act like our parents. If we want to hurt ourselves, let us do it. They should only be making laws to stop us from hurting each other. Plus making flavored tobacco unavailable so that kids arent tempted to us it is like banning sex so that kids don't do it before they're ready.

Adults should be free to make choices for themselves even if they are unhealthy. Legislation should only be allowed to deflect kids from use, not ban legitimate products.
i agree i think the part of the bill that makes the companies say what they put in our tobacco is what should be done but the flavor part is stupid

-matt
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I'm sorry.. Screw Obama.. He cant stop smoking so he is going to try to make sthe reset of the united states quit by making his habit that he cant quit illegal. Are we really all this deaf dumb and blind to allow them to keep taking these freedomes away from us?
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
I'm sorry.. Screw Obama.. He cant stop smoking so he is going to try to make sthe reset of the united states quit by making his habit that he cant quit illegal. Are we really all this deaf dumb and blind to allow them to keep taking these freedomes away from us?
go look at the bill, the cig companies have just as big of a hand in it as the govt. phillip morris basically has wanted to prevent people from using flavorings since PM really didnt make cigs with flavors yet RJ renyolds did... more of a way to kick out competition

-matt
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

What a disgrace. Any predictions of when it will take into effect? I'm going to need to stock up big time.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
go look at the bill, the cig companies have just as big of a hand in it as the govt. phillip morris basically has wanted to prevent people from using flavorings since PM really didnt make cigs with flavors yet RJ renyolds did... more of a way to kick out competition

-matt
I wonder if Big Tobacco would ever get into making tobacco for hookah?
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmmaaaa View Post
What a disgrace. Any predictions of when it will take into effect? I'm going to need to stock up big time.
already took effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahman1988 View Post
I wonder if Big Tobacco would ever get into making tobacco for hookah?
i doubt it, maybe buy out some one that makes it but i dont think they would start from scratch

-matt
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

I'm already having a hard enough time ordering tobacco online because here in WA you have to have a tobacco license to order tobacco online. Vendors already put the ban on selling shisha to people in WA...sad year.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
i doubt it, maybe buy out some one that makes it but i dont think they would start from scratch

-matt
Starbuzz will get picked up by Philip Morris and Fantasia by RJ Reynolds.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:

-matt
My ability to grasp American humor must have slipped because you can't be serious. Phillip Morris is a huge company with billions in sales and yet they supposedly are threatened by a tiny portion of the cigarette market they don't compete in so rather then make a new product which they could easily do they work to ban it. Oddly enough they don't lobby to get rid snuss, snuff, unflvoured pipe tobacco or hand made cigars even though those market segments are bigger. Instead lobbied to have the FDA control their industry and ban stuff which they could sell which is odd since increased government regulation raises their costs substantially.

The truth is is that big tobacco could care less about moassel and flavoured cigarettes any more then they care about dissolvable tobacco or tombac. I suppose that for some people it's easier to blame big tobacco for anti-tobacco lobbying then it is to blame those actually openly promote regulating, taxing and banning tobacco to ever greater degrees. Of course such notions make it all the easier to prevent effective opposition to the anti-tobacco lobby.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hajo PM was supporting the bill since the beginning of the decade when it was brought up, why would they support something that would hurt them, its not PR. look at the product lines of the companies, camel had a huge number of flavors when the bill was tried to be past the first time around 2001 IIRC yet PM didnt have any. Camel (RJR) of course dropped their flavored lines in the states after complaints but they still have many cigs that do use flavorings to give a bit of twist to the taste so they are the only ones getting hit.

-matt
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM
thaidude
Hookah Nut

i think its only for cigs not shisha
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook