Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Wierd Problem with Havanna Phunnel Bowl

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
confuciusFinn
Hookah Newbie

Location: Cincinnati, OH, in the summer, Springfield, OH, during the school term
Angry Wierd Problem with Havanna Phunnel Bowl

I just recieved my new 33" KM from hookah-shisha.com yesterday and I ordered a Havanna phunnel bowl from them. I have never used a phunnel bowl before, but from the research I did online prior to recieving the shipping I was under the impression that you don't poke holes in the middle. I poked three rings of holes around the outer edge and packed AF golden sour apple equal to the height of the center hole. I also was using a diffuser and the nammor hose that came with my KM, along with three coconara's.
The problem was that it sounded like there was an air leak with the bowl, we could hear air coming out and though it was the rubber, so we switched out the rubber in lieu of the better paper towl seal, but it still sounded like there was an air leak and it was really hard to take a hit. Eventually we gave up and transferred the shisha to a medium egyptian clay bowl and the smoke was perfect and gave us monster clouds.
So can anyone tell me what I did wrong, I really want to use this phunnel bowl, but after last night I'm very annoyed.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
annual
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Wierd Problem with Havanna Phunnel Bowl

havana phunnels are huge, dont be afraid to poke holes in the middle i do it everytime with my bowls. i have one and it smokes a little different than my tangiers phunnels in terms of sound. idk what to tell u if its leaking, it shouldnt?
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Chances are you didnt poke enough holes. The air leak sound could have been the air rushing through the holes faster just because you were pulling harder than normal. But if it is indeed a leak, then get some wet paper towel and put it where the bowl connects to the stem, i had to do that for a while on my vortex. And i wouldnt be afraid of poking holes too close to the center, i mean, more holes = more airflow, but there will be some lost heat from the coals.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

your funnel shouldn't be leaking. I'm assuming, because you didn't poke any holes over the hole, that the foil was prolly getting pulled down over the hole. It'd definitely ok the poke holes over the funnel hole.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
confuciusFinn
Hookah Newbie

Location: Cincinnati, OH, in the summer, Springfield, OH, during the school term

Ok, thanks guys this was stressing me out--bout to set up a bowl and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
sname
Hookah Newbie

I had this same problem too, but I figured out i wasn't keeping the tin tight enough acrossed the bowl, so it was saggin and covering the center whole. try using heavy duty foil, thats all i did and now it smokes fine.
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
nyyr2gr8
Hookah Newbie

hey buddy check out the thread about a homemade mod for a phunnel.. my dude came up with an ingenious idea to keep the foil off the hole in the middle so the bowl works perfectly.. i had the same problem with my havana and it works like a charm now.. when i find the thread i'll post it here
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
nyyr2gr8
Hookah Newbie

here you go bud.. give this a try

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9648

mad props to this guy for figuring this out!!
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

that works man, i just pull the foil tight, and make sure to poke a hole above the center.

that being said, the tangiers funnel is built so the center isnt as tall so its not as much of an issue

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
confuciusFinn
Hookah Newbie

Wow, thanks nyyr2gr8 that binder clip solution is awesome!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook