Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

trouble with Romman

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
alzamon92
Hookah Newbie

Default trouble with Romman

Hey guys first post here!! HOLLA! and here is my problem

i have a hobohookah (Patches is his name) and it is the shiz...to put it lightly.

but when i smoke Romman i get harshness espically when i use Exotica coals, any other shisha with any coal it smokes spectular.

is my tobacco just dry/old because it seems fine and moist

well im getting an order in soon of SEVERAL differant kinds of shisha including some more Romman so we will see, but i would love any input

Thank you in advance
Alzamon92
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Gadfly
Hookah Pro

Default Re: trouble with Romman

It could be a heat issue, I haven't tried Romman yet I've got 2 50g boxes waiting I'd try less coals with a wind cover and see how that works. Also what kind of bowl, foil setup are you using?

Last edited by Gadfly; June 14th, 2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
nyyr2gr8
Hookah Newbie

how big is the bowl that you're using? how many coals are you using? i have personally never used exotica coals because i'm hooked on coconaras (give them a try if you haven't).. first off, make sure you are not over-packing your bowl.. you should leave about a centimeter or two from the shisha to the top of the bowl to allow for the tobacco to breathe.. also make sure you are not squeezing the tobacco in the bowl, just sprinkle it on.. when smoking, make sure you are moving the coals around regularly, and flipping them when they need to be.. using a wind cover will heat the bowl faster and keep an even heat distribution throughout the session as well.. hope this helped a little
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyr2gr8 View Post
how big is the bowl that you're using? how many coals are you using? i have personally never used exotica coals because i'm hooked on coconaras (give them a try if you haven't).. first off, make sure you are not over-packing your bowl.. you should leave about a millimeter or two from the shisha to the top of the bowl to allow for the tobacco to breathe.. also make sure you are not squeezing the tobacco in the bowl, just sprinkle it on.. when smoking, make sure you are moving the coals around regularly, and flipping them when they need to be.. using a wind cover will heat the bowl faster and keep an even heat distribution throughout the session as well.. hope this helped a little
fixed
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
nyyr2gr8
Hookah Newbie

hahahaha good catch Coldgr33ntea
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
alzamon92
Hookah Newbie

it just a standered clay bowl, it says "mod hookah bowl" on hookah-shisha.com

i use rynolds wrap, and 1 half the exotica finger broken into 2 peices so a 1/4 coal each side

and thanks i thought i was packing it right but ill play around with it when i get my fresh order...i thing my bacco might be a tad old...ill put it in a container with a wet paper towl and see if that helps
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

you know that is a lot of coal for a bowl like that. i use a half an exotica finger on a small phunnel bowl. maybe score a stick into 5 even pieces, and use 3 pieces so the heat is more even. exoticas are fantastic coals. i think you're just either using a bit much or the tobacco is touching the foil.
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
wicket_nirvana
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
you know that is a lot of coal for a bowl like that. i use a half an exotica finger on a small phunnel bowl. maybe score a stick into 5 even pieces, and use 3 pieces so the heat is more even. exoticas are fantastic coals. i think you're just either using a bit much or the tobacco is touching the foil.
using 3/5s of a stick will be more heat than the half that hes already using, maybe just 2/5s
also, probably packing it wrong, i dont think tobacco goes bad for a very long time. try adding a bit of honey if it seems dry
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
i use 3 CH coals on my mod bowl with no issues, maybe i just got used to how to manage it though

i leave a little less than 1/4 inch of a gap probably about 3/16 i guess. make sure you are using 2 layers of regular or 1 of HD

im not a huge fan of romman personally but i never had much issue with it in a small egyptian (pretty small HS one) and 2 or 3 1/4 of exoticas but i didnt smoke much of it, just the 2 50 g that came with my hookah

-matt
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

With Romman, heat management is key. Let's say you have a typical 3 kings quicklight on it... You can't smoke with it in the center of the bowl. Its gotta be moved.

Or 3 ccns like I normally do. 3 is too many, but 2 is too little. You gotta put 2 on the side of the bowl (vortex in my case) and 1 closer to the center. Smokes much better w/ lots of rotating.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket_nirvana View Post
using 3/5s of a stick will be more heat than the half that hes already using, maybe just 2/5s
also, probably packing it wrong, i dont think tobacco goes bad for a very long time. try adding a bit of honey if it seems dry
yes, i understand, but using this method heats the bowl more evenly and you only have to rotate the coals one time. you let them hang off the edge and it's a perfect session with every tobacco i've tried with this method. af, aw, fumari, hh, hf, romman, sb.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook