Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Charcoal Screens

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
SequoiaThrone
Hookah Newbie

Default Charcoal Screens

What exactly are they used for?

I've been smoking sheesha for about a year and a half now(past 10 months every day pretty much), and got my own recently and I was wondering exactly how these screens are used. Are there any cons to using them? and is it even really worth it to buy?
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Re: Charcoal Screens

They are used instead of foil. Some people swear by them, some don't. You simply place the screen on the top of the bowl instead of foil, and hook the little "tabs" down to keep it in place.

I've used screens before, and I'll use them, but prefer foil. Here's some pros and cons.

Pros: so simple a 2 yr old could set it up, easy to clean, useful for many sessions before you need to get more, about the same price as foil in the long run, faster to set up than foil

Cons: very large holes, ash (and bit of coal if you're not careful) sometimes falls through, heat management becomes more of an issue, can sometimes add a weird taste, don't fit all bowls, cannot be used with all bowls, single unchangeable hole pattern

Really it's up to the smoker on preference. One of my friends won't ever use foil again, while I'd rather use foil and keep a screen in the bag in case I run out and Walmart's closed.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
SequoiaThrone
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
They are used instead of foil. Some people swear by them, some don't. You simply place the screen on the top of the bowl instead of foil, and hook the little "tabs" down to keep it in place.

I've used screens before, and I'll use them, but prefer foil. Here's some pros and cons.

Pros: so simple a 2 yr old could set it up, easy to clean, useful for many sessions before you need to get more, about the same price as foil in the long run, faster to set up than foil

Cons: very large holes, ash (and bit of coal if you're not careful) sometimes falls through, heat management becomes more of an issue, can sometimes add a weird taste, don't fit all bowls, cannot be used with all bowls, single unchangeable hole pattern

Really it's up to the smoker on preference. One of my friends won't ever use foil again, while I'd rather use foil and keep a screen in the bag in case I run out and Walmart's closed.
That's what I figured but I just wanted to clarify really. Only reason I wasn't 100% sure was because I figured "seems like alot of ash or coal will get in there". Thanks for the answer!
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

i have one of those screens .. only used it a time or two .. now it sits in my ash tray to hold a QL coal while i let it ash over a bit ...

i just use foil ... hah and i am such a cheapskate that i reuse the peice of foil several times before i replace it...
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

pretty much has been hit right on the head so far but i will add something.

it has been said that the metal gives off gases or something bad (at least some of them have been said to). im not sure how true this is but i personally dont want to use them until i know the exact alloy of the metal and have results of how that metal reacts to heat ( alloys with zinc can start to give off their zinc around 500ish *F iirc and zinc poisoning is very very bad). if its pure AL then i would give it a try if i was bored.

in the end it comes down to what is more consistent, if you can get them to work then use them but for me its one more thing to clean and i dont think it will work as well as foil
-matt
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I had one come with my bros bambino but we never used it.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
pretty much has been hit right on the head so far but i will add something.

it has been said that the metal gives off gases or something bad (at least some of them have been said to). im not sure how true this is but i personally dont want to use them until i know the exact alloy of the metal and have results of how that metal reacts to heat ( alloys with zinc can start to give off their zinc around 500ish *F iirc and zinc poisoning is very very bad). if its pure AL then i would give it a try if i was bored.

in the end it comes down to what is more consistent, if you can get them to work then use them but for me its one more thing to clean and i dont think it will work as well as foil
-matt
For the metal to give off those fumes it would first have to reach its melting point, then its boiling point. Unless you see pieces of molten metal in your bowl after smoking it, you can use it.

and most brass contains some zinc
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
-Devil-
Hookah Newbie

another thing with the screens .... you can't get a good seal on the bowl with them ....
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
For the metal to give off those fumes it would first have to reach its melting point, then its boiling point. Unless you see pieces of molten metal in your bowl after smoking it, you can use it.

and most brass contains some zinc
it doesnt have to get to full melting though, and if there is enough zinc it has the potential to give off fumes. and zinc will burn out of brass pretty easily when its heated (granted it wont happen on a hookah but if you put a coal right on the brass and blew air on it you might be able to

-matt
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
yoshi1026
Hookah Newbie

i used a screen that came with my hookah last night because we were out and forgot to bring foil. i have to say although it is easy i will probably never use it again unless i dont have foil. it just sucked, the bowl couldn't be packed as high kept letting too much air in overall i think it wasn't worth it because i used twice the coals i would normally use with foil.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook