Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tired of workin' for the man.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast
Default Tired of workin' for the man.

Well lately I have been living a life of dirt poor eat noodles every day busting my ass for minimum wage and I am tired of it........now that I find myself caught up on alot of bills I even found some free time....so I am back HP for good....bear with me as this story is hookah related.

Into the belly of the beast:
I reside in a somewhat small town with a college and a HEALTHY student body. A location across the street from the college is now for sale due to its poor business practices. I desire to take a crack at self-employment. Most of my peers and loved ones think I am insane (all thanks to my age 19). My desire is to open a hookah lounge in that location. I have employees that are already signed on if everything goes through. I made floor plans. I have furnishings on standby. Pricing charts, profit projections. All I need now is of course the hardest thing to come across (startup money), as well as a reliable vendor.

I made a 31 on my act, I shouldn't spend 10 hours a day making big macs.......

That being said any advice concerning my journey? Keep in mind that I do realize my duties as a business owner, I also know about the amount of effort it takes to successfully pull this off. Lets see that feedback..........

PS. I have also analyzed the steps I would have to take regarding Texas law
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
chsknight
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Tired of workin' for the man.

dude that take balls, im 18 and wouldnt dream of pulling something like this off
maybes its that extra year lol

you can always look for investors and ask wonderland about the vendors when he gets better

well anyways i feel you about the min wage, and gl to you
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Damn Larry, long time no see brother. You can't go wrong opening near the school. Well, as long as your not the previous owner, Lol. Not a lounge owner myself so can't offer any advice there but I'll wish you all the best with it if you jump into it.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

I'm 20 and I have dreams of opening a hookah lounge everyday. I locate and plan a different location for the lounge every week. This dream needs to be fulfilled, and you are one of the lucky ones who is able to go through with your dream. Just don't ever give up.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
cmkws6
Hookah Nut

I believe Wonderland made a huge guide for starting a hookah business. Search for that on the site.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
ROG
Hookah Nut

im 22 i started a little detailing business when i was 19 i made good money then sold it to the big car shop in town now im spending that money on collage and when i get out with my business degree im going to start up another business probably a paintball shop its great thing to do its stressful but really worth it even if you fail still a great ride
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I helped support a bar in Tampa since it's first day opening and eventually I knocked over one of the hookahs and broke the base. The guy charged me 50 bucks for it! A guy going there since day one and was always super friendly to him (and had talked with him a bit.) I had no idea at the time I was being completely ripped off too, I even had to borrow money from a friend and pay them back later.

Felt like sharing.

Anyway, what kind of bar are you looking to open? Is it a "scene" kind of place, or a more traditional kind of place? More details = more refined advice in any business model case I'd imagine.

Imo even though it's near a college you don't have to sell out the traditional style and go for the night club look to make a buck. My two cents.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast View Post
Well lately I have been living a life of dirt poor eat noodles every day busting my ass for minimum wage and I am tired of it........now that I find myself caught up on alot of bills I even found some free time....so I am back HP for good....bear with me as this story is hookah related.

Into the belly of the beast:
I reside in a somewhat small town with a college and a HEALTHY student body. A location across the street from the college is now for sale due to its poor business practices. I desire to take a crack at self-employment. Most of my peers and loved ones think I am insane (all thanks to my age 19). My desire is to open a hookah lounge in that location. I have employees that are already signed on if everything goes through. I made floor plans. I have furnishings on standby. Pricing charts, profit projections. All I need now is of course the hardest thing to come across (startup money), as well as a reliable vendor.

I made a 31 on my act, I shouldn't spend 10 hours a day making big macs.......

That being said any advice concerning my journey? Keep in mind that I do realize my duties as a business owner, I also know about the amount of effort it takes to successfully pull this off. Lets see that feedback..........

PS. I have also analyzed the steps I would have to take regarding Texas law
you got some BIG cojones my friend.. i'll be scared shitless to open up a lounge or anything else... good luck bro.. hopefully everything goes well
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:56 AM
xin666
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to xin666

I just got fired today. Maybe I should do this. haha
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

hey

Success story:

There are two hookah lounges across the street from each other in Westwood. This is basically a college town dominated by UCLA students (but still containing others). Being in LA though, they both get a lot of normal LA people too (high schoolers, older crowd, etc). They're both owned by the same guy (weird, huh?) and are both highly successful. One being more popular and bigger, and usually a more UCLA-ish crowd.

Fail story:
I go to UCSB. Isla Vista, the college town highly highly dominated by UCSBers, has had hookah lounges at different times in the past years. All of them have failed.

I've been to many houses and parties at UCSB that have had hookahs. I haven't seen (m)any hookahs in UCLA (besides the two lounges). So, perhaps, people own hookahs in SB, which causes other people to own hookahs, and ownership spreads. Whereas, at UCLA, if everyone goes to the lounge, you may follow that trend. Or maybe the fact that the UCLA lounges are also open to a huge non-college market keeps them in business. Or maybe because usually there aren't huge Friday/Saturday night parties at UCLA but there are huge parties every weekendnight at UCSB- so people go to a hookah lounge because that's all there is to do.

Hookah Lounges are expensive. College students, for the most part, aren't rich.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post
hey

Success story:

There are two hookah lounges across the street from each other in Westwood. This is basically a college town dominated by UCLA students (but still containing others). Being in LA though, they both get a lot of normal LA people too (high schoolers, older crowd, etc). They're both owned by the same guy (weird, huh?) and are both highly successful. One being more popular and bigger, and usually a more UCLA-ish crowd.

Fail story:
I go to UCSB. Isla Vista, the college town highly highly dominated by UCSBers, has had hookah lounges at different times in the past years. All of them have failed.

I've been to many houses and parties at UCSB that have had hookahs. I haven't seen (m)any hookahs in UCLA (besides the two lounges). So, perhaps, people own hookahs in SB, which causes other people to own hookahs, and ownership spreads. Whereas, at UCLA, if everyone goes to the lounge, you may follow that trend. Or maybe the fact that the UCLA lounges are also open to a huge non-college market keeps them in business. Or maybe because usually there aren't huge Friday/Saturday night parties at UCLA but there are huge parties every weekendnight at UCSB- so people go to a hookah lounge because that's all there is to do.

Hookah Lounges are expensive. College students, for the most part, aren't rich.

Is Habibi's the popular one or the less popular one? I've been to that one and had a great smoke. A friend of mine knew the owner actually, he was the owner's nephew I believe!
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

Yep Habibi...
Though I've been hearing more and more about Gypsy... so I'll check it out

as for the owner owning both, this is like second-hand information... so I'm not 100% sure
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I think I'd rather open a shop before I open a lounge. I go to the main campus of Pitt and there are already a number of lounges within the area but there really are not any solid smoke shops that cater to hookah smokers. The lounges sell stuff but their pipes consist mostly of generic Egyptians and cheap Chinese hookah, horrible tobacco (Al Waha and some other brands I've never heard of as well as $28 cans of Starbuzz), and shitty coals, you see why I think this would be a great idea?
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

You should do it, just get a little shop.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

GL with the buisness man. I'd love to open up a hookah shop/lounge around here, but I know the previous owner of one of the lounges I used to go to and he was having a hell of a time just trying to keep it open. Not because of financial reasons, but because the government has such strict laws about smoking and is doing all they can to try and stop people who do smoke. (not to sound pestamistic about the government, but it's the truth).
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Well, he has to open up a shop. Isn't the law in Texas that the lounge must sell a specific percentage of supplies to stay in business. I believe its based on a ratio percentage of the lounge vs. tobacco shop.

Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe that is in Texas?
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

good luck man, i am of the belief of if you want to do something its not a question of if its a question of how. i would make sure to try and sell hookahs/tobacco/etc also not just lounge, while ya some customers might stop coming in if you sell them a rig your going to make up for it by the locals that are buying other places probably.

-matt
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ahhhhaaa! Way to take the initiative! And also glad to see you back!

There's always a way man. Always.

Ohh, and if you are trying to think of the best way to get a bunch of money, don't watch the movie "Heat".
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Stuart123321
Hookah Nut

good luck
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook