Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Quicklites Vs Natural

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
mo0
Hookah Nut

Default Quicklites Vs Natural

Hi all,
This is my first post on hookah pro and im sure theres many more to come.
My first question is.. Is there really a big difference in using quiklites to natural coal? if yes then what are the major differences?
Secondly... At the moment i am using 'Swift Lite Excelsior' coals. Has anyone even heard of them? and are they any good?
Thanks all.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Quicklites Vs Natural

I have used both and do not notice a big enough taste difference to care about naturals. I am more of a quicklight user mainly because I'm just too damn lazy to wait 5 minutes for naturals. People claim to be able to taste the igniter when smoking. I don't start puffing as they are sparking away so I have yet to experience this. Let them ash over as your supposed to and they work just fine. I have not used Swift-Lites so don't know anything about them. If they work good for you then that's all that's important. Personally I use Akhlas, 3Kings, Belgians and ******* QLs. The few naturals I have left collect dust.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

To answer you first question, there are huge differences between natural and quicklight coals. One of the things that we like to stress most on these forums is to make sure that your coal is fully lit. With quicklights it can take a while for it to get completely red hot, and sometimes you have to blow on it to get it there. Another thing is CO (carbon monoxide) Some members have tested natural and quicklight coals and their CO output. Quicklight coals put out more CO than naturals. And if your coal isnt red hot, then your breathing that in. Naturals still give off some CO, but generally less. Ash; it really depends on your coal, but more quicklights ash a ton, ash isnt horrible, but if you have a smaller hookah, it can get in your mouth, and some think its harder to manage heat. Natural coals usually give off less ash, especially coconaras, there is like none. Time; quicklights generally last a shorter time than naturals. Heat; some think that quicklights give off too much or too little heat, it seems that natural coals are more consistent on heat, but it still varies brand to brand. Also, quicklights tend to "explode" and be more brittle because they heat up so quick. Personally, every burn ive made in my van or in my room was from a quicklight, and i usually smoke naturals. And taste, Depending on how well you cook your coals taste can vary. Some coals have a nutty taste, some taste like tar. Generally, QL's get a bad rap because they taste bad, but in my experiences, its because they dont light them all the way

Some coals i would Reccomend:
Coconara's (anywhere)
Hookah Johns ******* Coals (quicklight or Natural) (**********.com)
Shishaco Coals (thehookah.com)

Last edited by Coldgr33ntea; June 17th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i concur with CGT.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM
mo0
Hookah Nut

kool, thanks for ur feedback guys. i guess ill just have to try it out myself and experience the difference.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

I also agree with MR Tea.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
XMiwakoX
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to XMiwakoX Send a message via Yahoo to XMiwakoX

There is. Some give off a stronger taste than others, and some ppl dont mind it, but I prefer natural to quick lights. I do like how quick they light up and I will use them from time to time (3 Kings), but I'm all about taste, then smoke. CHeck out coconaras. I thought they would be super overrated and tried them out anyway. I liked them alot. They take a bit to light, but you should put in that time to have a great smoke. Plus they're alot cleaner since they don't ash as much as QL. It's all pref really.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Royal2000H
Hookah Nut

I've been using Three Kings QL's and it's a pain to get it fully red hot everywhere and it ashes A LOT... but I don't taste any coal...

I have a box of CH QLs waiting until I finish my 3Kings... hopefully they're quicker lighting and ash less...
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

They really do explode sometimes...

Top tip; Never squeeze them with the tongs...my friend did it just last night and showered everyone in a 2 foot radius in red hot shrapnel :P
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
ROG
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
They really do explode sometimes...

Top tip; Never squeeze them with the tongs...my friend did it just last night and showered everyone in a 2 foot radius in red hot shrapnel :P

hahaha a friend of mine did that last night too and burnt my hand

but i have never had i problem getting my instalights or my natural coals red hot cuz i just hit them with my plumbing torch and that does the trick
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
mo0
Hookah Nut

When using quicklites should i wait till its ashed all over or is it ok to use them as soon as the coal is red hot?
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
SequoiaThrone
Hookah Newbie

I use the quicklites and I basically just wait until the entire bottom is red hot and then smoke it. Some people I know just as soon as it sparks they put it on and start smoking. I wait until it's completely red hot on the bottom and when it's done sparking up and stuff.

P.S I can't stand the smell of the quicklites starting up. It has the most foul, chemical like smell ever. After it's all sparked up it's fine but as it starts... so bad.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
kivwa
Hookah Newbie

After smoking for a while you definitely start to notice the subtleties in taste and try to make the best session every time you set-up and for me that involves using naturals over quick lights. I have coco naras and ******* hookah quick lights, both considered to be the top natural coal and top quick light coal available, and I agree with this after trying several different makes. I only use the quick lights when it is necessary because I do notice a difference in taste and also naturals last longer than quick lights and since hookah to me is for chilling out I dont want to be lighting up coals so often.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
kivwa
Hookah Newbie

In terms of the wait to get the coals ready i prefer that extra 5min or whatever it is that naturals take to light it gives me the perfect amount of time to set-up the hookah properly.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook