Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Ghelyoon News and Developments

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Ghelyoon News and Developments

As some of you I spent a bit of time in Iran recently on business and for the most part it was boring, stressful production planning/financial crap but a couple of things that happened that were pretty cool including spending some time on a boat smoking with a huge 13th Floor Elevator fan and showing the locals the wonders of rhubarb pie & green chile stew. Other then that I had my thoughts on leather hoses and the Iranian take on smoking changed/broadened a bit.

In Iran the water pipe which most of you call a hookah and I prefer to term a narghile is usually called a ghelyoon although the spelling varies and since Iran is a multi-ethnic country I’d guess that designs very quite a lot. Basically the ghelyoon differs from a narghile in that the main and down stems are made most often out of wood and have looser fitting components then a narghile which are often wrapped with string or leather to get abetter seal. Typically they are used for tumbeki (dampened leaf) with the coals directly applied and to a lesser extent they are also used with the drier variants of jurak. They most often use leather hoses with wood handles although modern style hoses are far from rare.

Contrary to popular opinion Iranians do smoke modern fruity style moassels and they also make narghiles that a very much like Syrian rigs that use Egyptian style bowls but the painted designs are very different and often extremely elaborate. In terms of mod style fruity moassels you can easily find Al Fakhur, Al-Shamim ( a fairly boring brand that makes a great saffron flavour), Fars Moassal Tobacci ( basically a good gulf style product but nothing special) and surprisingly Afzal and Jannet El Fawakeh from India which is sort of odd in my opinion.

In terms of traditional stuff I got to buy a little bit of something called “Joy of Babol”, a jurak called “relax” and some of the famous Khansar brand . The “Joy of Babol” is basically a strong fire cured tobacco which is blended with a little bergamot oil, some mint and cinnamon making for a nice if strong taste that is fairly complex and produces more smoke then you’d think. Relax is basically a mix of fire cured tobacco and more mellow flute tobaccos that have cedar like taste, something faintly cream like and a good bit of saffron which is a great combo. The Iranian Khansar brand is in a long running trade mark feud with the Syrian brand of the same name although I don’t much about that whole spat. The Iranian Khansar differs from the Syrian product in that it has a more mint & cedar like taste and is a bit stronger then the Syrian in terms of nicotine. Both share a complicated range of tobacco flavours with a creamy chocolate/coffee/toffee profile although the Syrian version is stronger in that respect. Both are different enough to be interesting no matter which one you like although I can’t say one is better then the other.

One thing I found interesting is that the ghelyoon seems to be developing in terms of construction as way of overcoming the natural tendency of the wood to rot with the passage of time in two respects. The first is that the main-stem sometimes features a wooden inner core held in place via a pair of gaskets which can be removed when the wood starts to rot and replaced for about 10% of the cost of the ghelyoon. I’ve also seen ghelyoons that have a down-stem that is made of brass which is screwed into the wooden main-stem and a brass tube that covers the outer surface of the main-stem which frequently has poetry etched into surface. This variant is also designed to have the wooden portion of the main-stem be replaceable and uses gaskets to hold everything in place.

All which bring up the matter of why use wood in building a water pipe? The answer is better taste in that the wood defiantly changes the character of the smoke for the better by adding a bit more flavour but also mellowing the stronger tobaccos via means I don’t really understand. I should also tell you that ghelyoons tend to have extremely easy draws and move far more smoke then a narghile typically does even when using a typical modern style hose.

It’s neat when you can find a different way to smoke that turns out be totally practical and yet unexpected!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hookah Enthusiast
Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre
Default Re: Ghelyoon News and Developments

Kind of a commerical-ish question. But do you know of any sites that would sell a more authentic working 'Ghelyoon'
KM Carnival | KM Exotica | KM Black Pearl | KM Double Pear
Nakhla, El Hennawy, Tangiers Noir & Desi Murli
http://www.icepets.com - NOW OPEN
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hookah Guru

I can imagine a wooden gheyloon being like that of a regular wooden pipe, the buildup on it actually sort of "matures" the flavors you smoke. If you go out and buy a new wooden pipe, you have to break it in first but once you do it is extremely enjoyable.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hookah Enthusiast

These flavors sound wonderful, but i couldn't see myself buying the wood cores all the time. I would rather stick to brass.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the input guys. I don't you can buy gheloons outside of Iran but if you can it likely would be from some immigrant shop owner.

Basically the wooden core does act the same way a Western pipe does when it comes to maturing and making the smoke a bit richer.

As for replacements the wooden core can easily last many years if you smoke a single style of tobacco or flavour from it. Otherwise they apparently last about a year. Since the replaceable core would be around 9-15USD (about 10% of the cost of the ghelyoon were it in the U.S. market) it's not exactly a big coast it takes all of 2 minutes stick in a new one.

Here is the thing, I wasn't too too hot on the idea of a wooden water pipe either but having done it and talking with people that have a lot of experience in the matter I found that my gut reaction was wrong.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook