Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Choosing hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

Default Choosing hookah

I made a post a earlier, and it helped me narrow it down to two hookahs..

Basically, it's between the

Mya Paragon: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1761

and

KM Basha: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=5096

Which one should i pick?

If you could give some cons and pros on both hookahs, such as draw, quality, durability and so on, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Choosing hookah

Well from my experiences with MYAs if you smoke regularly and plan on cleaning it regularly , it will let you down in one way or another at some point within 12 months. Single piece stems are so much more durable and smoke better IMO because there is far less chance of air escaping ...but they are less easy to carry around. Personally out of those 2 I'd go with the KM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

#Sheikh

Deffinitely some good points, and i do plan to smoke around 1-2 bowls daily (more in the weekends, obviously)..

What exactly do you mean by letting me down within 12 months? Because, if that is an issue, durability that is, then its gonna be the KM..
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

Well you see the down stem you have to screw that in... baring in mind that part sees a lot of condensation and smoke if you are taking it apart often you will notice gunk and possible corrosion...also the threads will probably ware down and give way... Another point this happens is the assembly around the ash tray on many MYAs... again if you are dismantling it often to clean it nicely then these parts ware down... It can also get annoying when setting it up because if some threads have worn down it might not align up properly and it might not be air tight as a result hence pretty much a useless/very crappy smoke in the long run.

Just to let you know I've had 5 MYAs and only 1 is still standing and the threads are waring down. I think the really small MYAs are better because they are more sturdy and they smoke surprisingly very very well...so if you really need an ultra portable hookah I'd go with one of those... another thing about MYAs the briefcase things that come with the larger ones are a complete joke...such poor craftsmanship.

Last edited by sheikh; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

#Sheikh

Well, i have been using a crappy random hookah that screws together for the past few years, and it hasnt really been a problem.. But i can totally see what you mean by that. Will deffo have to consider that, as i havent even thought about that part yet.. just assumed both were extremely durable :S

But a KM doesnt screw apart at all?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

As far as I know all KMs are single piece stems which plug into the base and then you just plug in the hose(s) as well. The joints are welded together...so it comes down to the quality of the welding really and with a reputable brand you can't really go wrong.

MYAs look so much more modern and sleek and they have a decent weight, they smoke very well at first too... so people who have never tried hookah or are buying their first one are often drawn to them...but honestly a seasoned smoker will not have to scratch much to find many chinks in the armour beneath the glossy veneer, the upshot of it all is that they are ultimately weaker.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

How many pieces make up the stem of your random hookah?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

KM for sure; sturdier, easier draw.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
hsilman
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh View Post
Well you see the down stem you have to screw that in... baring in mind that part sees a lot of condensation and smoke if you are taking it apart often you will notice gunk and possible corrosion...also the threads will probably ware down and give way... Another point this happens is the assembly around the ash tray on many MYAs... again if you are dismantling it often to clean it nicely then these parts ware down... It can also get annoying when setting it up because if some threads have worn down it might not align up properly and it might not be air tight as a result hence pretty much a useless/very crappy smoke in the long run.

Just to let you know I've had 5 MYAs and only 1 is still standing and the threads are waring down. I think the really small MYAs are better because they are more sturdy and they smoke surprisingly very very well...so if you really need an ultra portable hookah I'd go with one of those... another thing about MYAs the briefcase things that come with the larger ones are a complete joke...such poor craftsmanship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh View Post
How many pieces make up the stem of your random hookah?

I definitely agree with this, I'm going to get a 1 piece stem for my next hookah for this reason. My current 3 year old chinese knockoff is a 2 piece stem and the threads wore down over a year ago. I use a piece of tin foil around the stems to help seal it, but it certainly isn't perfect.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

hsliman - experiment with blu-tac instead of foil to seal the stems.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

#Sheikh

3 Pieces... Upper stem (small part), middle stem (bigger), and the downstem (small part)..

But yeah, guess i'll be getting a KM then
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
sheikh
Hookah Nut

three isn't that many pieces...most MYAs I've had were 5 piece stems...so you can imagine the potential for disasters.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
hookahdrummer
Hookah Newbie

Or try wrapping selotape around the thread of the down stem. This works for me and I've had to do it since my Mya was less than a month old!!! Wont be buying another one.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

#sheikh

Disaster, maybe... But also pretty friggin smart for transporting it around

And thanks hookahdrummer, yet another vote for the KM.. Making it easier for me
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook