Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nakhla melon burning?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

Default Nakhla melon burning?

I just bought some Nakhla sweet melon and every hit has the burning taste in the back of my throat. I didnt burn the tobacco I just started smoking and I got the burning taste. Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me? Maybe its because i'm not used to it because all I smoked before was Starbuzz.

And by the way, for the people that told me double apple is good, I hate you all lol. Its terrible.
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: Nakhla melon burning?

first of i want to say. i hate you to for saying DA is terrible...

now for the question.. how many coals are you using on the bowl.. nd what bowl are you using
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

I use 1 and a half coconaras on a eygptian bowl with the wind cover on and off when needed.

I used that same setup for the double apple and that didnt have the burning taste it just had the normal bad taste that comes with it. :P
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

DA is an acquired taste. I only tried it once and didn't like it but that was AF DA. I want to try some Nakhla DA soon.

Anyways, Dan, are you packing nakhla like tangiers? If so, then the tobacco must be burning, but it'll eventually be smooth after a couple hits. I don't usually take the hits when it's burning like that. I usually have a friend who takes care of it when it's burning because he doesn't feel it. Then when it's my turn it's all good.
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

hmm it must have been you then... maybe you over packed the bowl and burned it...

ok now you are just making me mad lol.. DA is godley lol alot of ppl dont like the anus taste lol.. i guess your one of those ppl that doesnt like anus =D
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

you burned the Sweet Melon? How dare you!! It never did anything to you..
________
********* strain green crack

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Sweet Melon is one of the best Nakhla flavors! I think I will set some up when I get home instead of doing a review! ;-)

OK, so you are probably burning it .. try one coal, on the edge, with the windcover. and make sure your tobacco isn't touching the foil. It will take a little bit to build up, but eventually you will get some nice flavorful smoke! Good Luck!

and double apple is da' shyt! it is an acquired taste though. First time I tried it I hated it! now I want to eat it!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

I remember my local hookah store had two 50g's of DA, and a 250g of DA. I Bought one of the 50's after hearing about how good it was. Not only did i hate the flavor, but it was my first time smoking nakhla so i got a swift kick in the ass from it. After that i said im not gonna smoke nakhla again. Well, the next week i wanted some shisha so i sent my bro to the store to get something fruity. He came back with the other 50 of DA, and we smoked it, he thought it was horrid, but i kinda started to like it, and the buzz was nicer too. Now i love DA, maybe i wouldnt eat it, but after i smoke another 100g of it i might want to.
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Bulldozer
Hookah Newbie

I think melon is just really easy to burn for some reason try using less heat and make sure you don't over pack your bowl like Sambooka said.
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Not to point too many fingers but it seems like half of the posts you have made have been about a mysterious burning taste or sensation in your sessions with a variety of tobaccos. The common factor here would be your technique.

I am not trying to be a jerk but make sure you are packing the bowl properly. Not too tight and not too loose. Stir up the tobacco before you pack the bowl to evenly disperse moisture. Do not pack it so high that the foil is pressed against the tobacco. Make sure the foil is very tight and does not sag when you draw. Allow the bowl to heat up for am minute or so when you first start the bowl before you pull. It's a common misconception that you need to "start" the bowl and this can burn the hell out of the tobacco. Make sure your coals are entirely lit and not half cooked. Start on the edge of the bowl rather than near the center. Less chance of touching the tobacco and less heat applied at first.
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

i burn melon sometimes too ;]
trick to it is to leave the coals on the edges
unlike me though, I am too lazy to to that and just pop all 3 stacked ontop of eachother on the center of the bowl cause im wild
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i leave a good space (1/8 inch at least, probably closer to 3/16) under my foil (2 layers of reg foil).

i put 3 coals on my mod bowl with a wind cover for a few mins to warm up then just move them w/o flipping for the first move or 2

and as to the DA, if you dont mix it up well or dont get a good pack on it you can get bad tastes (i found for me nakhla likes a bit of tamping when i pack it and with the gap theres no issues)

-matt
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Emre1990
Hookah Nut

I have melon at home and when I tried smoking it last time, there wasn't a horrible taste. But there wasn't any kind of melon taste that came with it, and also im sure that it was Nakhla, if not something like Al Waha.

My bad it was Al Waha melon that I was smoking.

Last edited by Emre1990; June 27th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I think you have to try different types of packing techniques until you find the one that you like. Usually, I overpack Nakhla DA and yes it touches the foil and I use two coconaras. Good luck
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
cerealsteak
Hookah Newbie

i finally got my nahkla melon right after 3-4 sessions. For me i needed another ql coal and i was doing pretty good. i had a tang phunnel w/ a tea-light mod.
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

I got a batch of harsh Nakhla sweet melon in the past. I tried all sorts of bowls, coals and packing methods and nothing could cure it: it was just harsh, like smoke from a cigarette. The tobacco wasn't burned or anything, it had merely started to heat and it was already burning my throat. Shit happens.
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:21 AM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

I gave it another try today, and I had the burning taste in the beginning, then I guess when the shisha really started cooking it got waaay smoother and I got big clouds and lots of flavor. So i'll smoke it more often.

I still got to get used to double apple though, I had it with a apple bowl yesterday and it wasn't that bad.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyalAkkaya View Post
I gave it another try today, and I had the burning taste in the beginning, then I guess when the shisha really started cooking it got waaay smoother and I got big clouds and lots of flavor. So i'll smoke it more often.

I still got to get used to double apple though, I had it with a apple bowl yesterday and it wasn't that bad.
some nakhla flavors are a touch harsh at first and smooth out as you smoke unless you figure out the right packing exacts for your set up. kinda the same over all with all brands just some have other flaws

-matt
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Just takes practice ..

I did honor what I said .. I ended up smoking Nakhla Sweet Melon on Friday .. Mmmmm! My girlfriend wanted to try the Nakhla Cardamom (I know how cool is that!) but I talked her into the sweet melon! I think we will have to smoke cardamom this week ..

.. anyway .. practice! it is all in the heat management!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyalAkkaya View Post

when you start to think the bowl is burning.. take of a coal or 2 bro until it cools down then slowly add the coals back on...
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
when you start to think the bowl is burning.. take of a coal or 2 bro until it cools down then slowly add the coals back on...
i am more of the belief to move the coals w/o flipping and that usually does it as long as i keep the coals to the edge/hanging off... then again i notice easily if there is an issue

-matt
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
breldar
Hookah Newbie

Hey i bought a bunch of nakhla from Egypt this summer, the DA and Cherry were amazing and the guys kept pushing me to buy sweet melon saying how great it was etc, but i found the same thing i smoked it in standard egyptian bowls and funnel bowl and change the hole pattern two layers of foil, one layer, cocobriccos and golden flash QL's and every smoke was as bad as the next. I smoked it out of a variety of shishas my KM and some brand new ones i use to hire out and it all failed. I have never had a good batch of Melon tbh but i would really like to as alot of ppl have ha good experiences with it.
So its not jst you it couild be the batch and it certainly wasnt my whole batch of flavours as the rest were AMAZING, jst had bad sweet melons really
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Kahn
Hookah Newbie

I donno... its kinda my favorite flavor. Try just using one coal cause i never have had that problem.
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

I know with me the sweet melon makes me want to gag the first few hits it alomse seems like its harsh but it clams itself down somehow... lol

As far as double apple, It is proabbably my new fav flavor, its a bit of an aquired taste, which is weird because you like it more each bowl... lol, for me this flavor taste like its burning every now and then but its not its just the hint of anise... its kind of like at some point you will like unflavored tabbaco... but its not something you just jump into...
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Just takes practice ..

I did honor what I said .. I ended up smoking Nakhla Sweet Melon on Friday .. Mmmmm! My girlfriend wanted to try the Nakhla Cardamom (I know how cool is that!) but I talked her into the sweet melon! I think we will have to smoke cardamom this week ..

.. anyway .. practice! it is all in the heat management!
sam! get your gf to smoke that cardamom with some AF Mint, like 50-50 with the mint on top, not thoroughly mixed, feels like Vick Vapo Rub with a good taste
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook