Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Harsh/burnt taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:40 AM
cupcake
Hookah Newbie

Default Harsh/burnt taste

Please help me! I recently bought a hookah and we've smoked it about 10 times alredy. The first 5 times were using apple Nakhla tobacco and some randome coal. It was pretty good.
And now i bought 3 Kings coal, and changed the tobacco to strawberry Nakhla tobacco. Every time we use 3 Kings and srawberry tobacco it starts very good. It tastes perfect, even better than apple, but after 5-10 minutes it starts to taste very harsh or burned. After 15 minutes i opened the bowl and looked at the tobacco - it was severly burned!

My bowl is pretty small, that's why i use only one coal. I use regular aluminium foil, used for packing food and stuff. Do you think i should use 2 layers of regular foil? How does the tobacco burn faster - if it's wet or if it's dry? I make alot of small holes, all over the foil - should i use a special pattern or something?
How can i solve my problem? Please help me
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Harsh/burnt taste

Try two sheets of regular foil. One if you're using heavy duty. Hole patterns are based on preference but usually 3 rings of holes. When you light up your coal make sure it's ashed all over and that there is no black on the coal. Plus keep a small gap between the foil and tobacco. Maybe you overpacked the bowl so the tobacco is touching the foil which makes it burnt and the smoke harsh.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
opticalshadow
Banned

also if it seems to go faster try using half a coal and see if that works.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
BDP
Hookah Nut

Watch where you are placing the coals. Personally with the dryer texture of Nahkla I would not place one coal close to the center. Start on the outside and let it warm up. Two layers of foil could help. Make sure you don't overpack the bowl or let it touch the foil if you flake the shisha. Remember, Nahkla is a much dryer shisha than most so ash and rotate often.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
cupcake
Hookah Newbie

Hey thanks for the reply
The thing is, we used to add a little tobacco, not that much because I don't have that much money, so we were saving with the tobacco. So we put the tobacco in the bowl until it was about 1/4 inch below the top of the bowl AND then we PUSHED it down. The tobacco was pretty tight but we still managed to get averago, if not more, amount of smoke, and the flavour was good and it lasted at least half an hour.
But then, i read that you can get more smoke and more flavour if you lightly sprinkle the tobacco. We used the same amount of tobacco and sprinkled it and it was almost even with the top of the bowl. We didn't push it down or anything, so we just put the foil over. It was good for about 5-10 minutes, but then it got really harsh. When i removed the foil, the tobacco was burnt and it was sticking on the foil. When I tried to get it off, we just ripped the foil.
I'm guessing the level of tobacco was to high and it was probably touching the foil, thats why it burned so quickly.

Do yout think that's the problem?
I also read that Nakhla tobacco smokes better if it's packed down and not just sprinkled. Should I just pack it down?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
brazilrocker25
Hookah Nut

dont pack it down, just sprinkle less... >.> jesus christ...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

LOL I love that username!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
cupcake
Hookah Newbie

Lol, thx for the username comment

I have a very small bowl so if I sprinkle less, then there would be almost no tobacco in the bowl.
I'm planning to buy a larger bowl in a month or so, but does anybody have any other suggestions?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
opticalshadow
Banned

packing it can cause it to burn faster in some cases, at least in my exp. like i said try useing half a coal instead of a whole one that works for me from time to time. use more foil and larger holes and it may help to not put the coal coverign as amny hoels.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

You could try fewer holes as well. 1 in the center and 6 to 8 evenly spaced between the center and out side around the bowl. I was given this tip and it worked for me with Nakhla.

Now I use a Med Egyptian bowl with a metal screen and 1 coal with wind cover and always get at least 30 to 45 min sessions. Could be a little more than that if I light another coal, but I am usually finished smoking by then anyway.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Dr Shisha
Hookah Nut

Excellent work, really realy love it. I have been looking to do something similar myself.
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Nyxxie
Hookah Nut

1) Two sheets of regular foil or one sheet of heavy duty reynolds.
2) Poke small holes, using a thumb tack.
3) Place your coals half on and half off the bowl.
4) When you start getting a harsh taste, take one off or move them around.

You just need to learn some maintenance about coal. Once you figure it out though, it becomes a lot easier to maintain. Good luck!