Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

newbie help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Default newbie help

ok guys so i just got my first hookah today. its a 16 inch starbuzz bulet style single hose. i have al fakher two apple 250 gram tub and the smallest quick lite charcoals youv ever seen.. probably about the same circumference of a dime....iv smoked hookah before.. usually on the weekend with my neighbor. he has a 14 inch single hose with a different style base.

so i started out filling the base with milk and ice about half way.( on my friends if you fill it more than half you end up sucking milk instead of smoke) poked holes in the foil. put 4 dime size charcoals on top, lit em, and started a session...

i noticed right away that the smoke wasnt smooth at all and it was a little thin and harsh.. i also noticed i wasnt hearing the bubbling sound that i hear in my buddies hookah when you inhale.. so i filled the base up to the brim... nothing changed, no bubbling sound, still harsh smoke, still insubstantial smoke...

what am i doing wrong? im a supreme newbie and i have no clue what i could be doing better please help me out

thanks
FM
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Koapono23
Hookah Nut

Default Re: newbie help

If youre a newbie, I would just use water only in your base. Next when you fill it up with water, you want the water line to be about a dime size above the end of the downstem.

Make sure all your grommets are on and air tight.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
alaskanassassin
Hookah Newbie

first off if you're gunna use mil,k water it down substantially. Then make sure the liquid and ice go 1 inch above the bottom of the stem in the base. when packing the tobacco make sure its a couple cm below the brim of the bowl. other than that just keep playing with it till ya learn.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

just use water dude for now. honestly milk does nothing but affect the taste of your hose.

fill the water to a half inch above the bottom of the stem.

get some new coals. 3 kings if you want quick lights, and exotica, ******* hookah, shishaco, or coconara if you want natural coals.

make sure the tobacco isn't touching the foil, make holes with a pushpin, and sprinkle the tobacco in lightly just below the rim.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

If quicklites are what you need I highly recommend the ******* Hookah quicklites. They're above and beyond Three Kings charcoal in every way. (They taste ridiculously better, provide more heat, last longer...)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
If quicklites are what you need I highly recommend the ******* Hookah quicklites. They're above and beyond Three Kings charcoal in every way. (They taste ridiculously better, provide more heat, last longer...)

Agreed.
Just make sure to light them in a WELL ventilated area. If you don't the first time you will the next time. LOL

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

Its harsh because of the quicklights, go natural or ******* hookah quick lights.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

thanks guys...iv only ever smoked hookah with quicklites.. i usually like em because i dont really wanna cook the non quicklights and wait ...thats just me being lazy i guess... the first time i tried hookah the hookah master put two quicklights on top of each other and it was the smoothest hookah session iv had to date.. but that guy moved and my neighbor i smoke with now has decent session prep skills but its not the same... better than mine but hey im just trying to say im not against quicklight coals.

i think i know why it was harsh smoke.. the foil was touching the baccy and burned it severly... also im not sure what all the terms are... for example is the grommet the metal dealio adjacent to the hose inlet thats made of metal? do i need to loosen that at all.. i cant come up for a reason why it exists because youd figure that if its supposed to be airtight so no air gets in wouldnt thet just make the hookah without making an extra hole to begin with..

basically... im not hookah educated and i have a feeling this first 250 tub will be sacrificial in learning! :P

thanks for the help guys im gonna fiddle with it for a while and see what i can get

FM
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Does your metal dealio have a ball bearing inside of it?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

ya there is a ball bearing in the dealio .. altho...i feel like an idiot right now.. i screwed up assembling it.. i didnt screw in the long metal tube that goes from the nargile to the bottom of the base........im officially retarded ....
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis Mortuus View Post
ya there is a ball bearing in the dealio .. altho...i feel like an idiot right now.. i screwed up assembling it.. i didnt screw in the long metal tube that goes from the nargile to the bottom of the base........im officially retarded ....
lol...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Quote:

The coals are the problem. If you were filling the water up correctly. Even if there was no water there would still be SOME smoke if the coals were lit correctly.

Get some 3Kings Quicklights. Or go to **********.com & get some ******* Hookah Quicklights... Or CocoNara Naturals
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

oh i was getting smoke... just not in the large quanities im used to with friends quicklights and starbuzz.. sucked because i assembled it wrong... im just a tard i guess... any suggestions on good hookah deals out there ? im trying to be stingy with cash.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Quote:
oh i was getting smoke... just not in the large quanities im used to with friends quicklights and starbuzz.. sucked because i assembled it wrong... im just a tard i guess... any suggestions on good hookah deals out there ? im trying to be stingy with cash.

First of all let me say....... LMFAO

Now that that is out of the way..... What kind of deals are you looking for? The low cost deals are usually Chinese Hookahs. The better deals are a bit more expensive but well worth it. Quality and cost go hand in hand. I know this first hand, found out the hard way.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

eh my hookah is a starbuzz hookah so im not sure if thats chinese or not... im talkin supplies.. coals and shisha.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Koapono23
Hookah Nut

Just so you know grommets are those little rubber pieces you put on the hose and on the bowl. It helps keep things air tight.

As far as coals, I like the Exotica stick charcoals. Those you have to cook em but they last a good while. Usually all you need is 2 sticks per session.

And for shisha, just try out a couple different brands and see what you like. Im a big fan of Fantasia because they have different flavors from your usual fruits, plus theyre reasonably priced. I also like Nahkla too because its pretty strong lol.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapono23 View Post
Just so you know grommets are those little rubber pieces you put on the hose and on the bowl. It helps keep things air tight.

As far as coals, I like the Exotica stick charcoals. Those you have to cook em but they last a good while. Usually all you need is 2 sticks per session.

And for shisha, just try out a couple different brands and see what you like. Im a big fan of Fantasia because they have different flavors from your usual fruits, plus theyre reasonably priced. I also like Nahkla too because its pretty strong lol.
Fantasia is about as far from reasonably priced as you can get...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

Not for a baller.

I'd try some Nakhla or if you like more modern stuff, JM's.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Koapono23
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Fantasia is about as far from reasonably priced as you can get...
Hmm well I havent bought it retail priced in a while
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

ladies and gentlemen.. after assembling the hookah correctly and putting in straight water and burning only two of the weenie size coals... we have thick volumous glorious double apple smoke.... ahh this is what i like to call happy hour!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Fidelis,
Just out of curiosity what is the brand name on those "little" coals?

I'm curious, never seen any that small.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

their havana quick lights ... i got a friend thats gonna help me out while im waitin for bigger coals to arrive (taps foot impatiently)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanassassin View Post
first off if you're gunna use mil,k water it down substantially. Then make sure the liquid and ice go 1 inch above the bottom of the stem in the base. when packing the tobacco make sure its a couple cm below the brim of the bowl. other than that just keep playing with it till ya learn.
Erk you mean MM dude some bowls are shallow.

1. water for starters 1/2-1 inch above bottom of down stem
2. sprinkle tobacco in bowl til just under the rim 2 mm of the bowl
3. foil bowl and poke holes (I have a small bowl and use 7 holes with a toothpick 1 in middle and 6 around the outside press toothpick through tobacco to bottom of bowl)
4. QL i use Al waha 33 mm QL one off
5. always make sure that bowl vase and stem is airtight as well as hose.
6. Only start smoking once coals have totally ashed over (no more black)

Hope this helps
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook