Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hello from Canada

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
sfraser
Hookah Newbie

Default Hello from Canada

Hello everyone, the name is Sean and I got a couple questions.

First of all I am not an extraordinary newb to the hookah world, I have a couple friends who own one and I have had the pleasure of smoking them on numerous occasions. Just recently I have decided to purchase one myself.

I have been creeping on your boards for a couple days as I have been debating upon online vendors, style and/or brand of hookah to purchase and I decided after almost wearing out your search function to just go ahead and ask.

Canada is a pain in the ass of a country in regards to certain tax laws and as such it seems that perhaps ordering my hookah(s)/sisha should happen online. Do any Canadians here have any recommendations on online vendors? I have been looking at **********, Hookah-Sisha and MNHookah due to the fact that they seem to have reliable brands for hookahs (KM, Mya, etc.) and also seem to be somewhat popular on your boards.

Any recomendations or stories about your experiences would be a huge help. Also, how bad is the tax on sisha? Is it better for me to attempt to find a local vendor?

Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hello from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfraser View Post
Hello everyone, the name is Sean and I got a couple questions.

First of all I am not an extraordinary newb to the hookah world, I have a couple friends who own one and I have had the pleasure of smoking them on numerous occasions. Just recently I have decided to purchase one myself.

I have been creeping on your boards for a couple days as I have been debating upon online vendors, style and/or brand of hookah to purchase and I decided after almost wearing out your search function to just go ahead and ask.

Canada is a pain in the ass of a country in regards to certain tax laws and as such it seems that perhaps ordering my hookah(s)/sisha should happen online. Do any Canadians here have any recommendations on online vendors? I have been looking at **********, Hookah-Sisha and MNHookah due to the fact that they seem to have reliable brands for hookahs (KM, Mya, etc.) and also seem to be somewhat popular on your boards.

Any recomendations or stories about your experiences would be a huge help. Also, how bad is the tax on sisha? Is it better for me to attempt to find a local vendor?

Thanks.
Thank you for searching first.

Not a canadian myself but it seems a lot of canadians do order from here because it is cheaper; however I think that is only because they are able to get their packages thru without customs charging them. If you get charged in customs...it probably won't be cheaper.

As for hookahs...I am a KM lover...I own myas, nours, other egyptians, but I always go back to the KMs.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
MindGrind
Hookah Nut

As a canadian I feel your pain with the duties they enjoy slapping on our online orders. I order from Hookah-Shisha mostly, even with the duties you usually pay the price of shisha is much much cheaper then anything I have ever found locally. So for me it's worth while, I would try contacting a vendor (maybe someone like at **********) and asking them to label the parcel as a "gift". Most of the time customs won't charge duties of gift parcels, just a tip.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Im in the UK and i order all the time from the U.S the 3 sites you mentioned all do a great job in helping you get through customs
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

well i dont live in CA, so i cant help you with most of your questions, i do wish to welcome you to the bored.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
TheTranz
Hookah Newbie

When I had an order of around $200 it only cost about $30 in customs fee's, didn't seem that bad to me
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

The laws do vary from province to province, so i would check with some Canada website somewhere and search tobacco
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:55 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTranz View Post
When I had an order of around $200 it only cost about $30 in customs fee's, didn't seem that bad to me
Maybe that was VAT and not the tax on the actual tobacco, ive been charged VAT from time to time as well but never taxed on the tobacco itself

Tobacco tax in most countrys is a lot and would more then likly be over $30 on a $200 order

For example in the UK for 1kilo of tobacco its 70 i believe and i heard canada was a lot more
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
sfraser
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the help all, I went to the New Brunswick Ministry of Finance website and found this gem: http://www.gnb.ca/0162/tax/TTN0164.pdf

Looks like I may end up spending a whopping $16.98 per 200 grams of Shisha if it gets caught along the border. Time to start praying to the hookah gods before I place my order.

EDIT:

Hopefully this applies to items sent across the border via USPS, not sure if this Wholesaler tax is the same thing. I'll do a little more searching around.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfraser View Post
Hopefully this applies to items sent across the border via USPS, not sure if this Wholesaler tax is the same thing. I'll do a little more searching around.
There's no secret to getting tobacco across the border without paying any fees, you're basically rolling dices with every order, hoping the customs guy is feeling clement when he clears your parcel for delivery...

Sometimes you just gotta pay up and appreciate what you've got even more to make up for import fees. Just my personal opinion: I'd rather pay $20 for every kg than buy a 50g of old dried up Nakhla for $20. Cause that's pretty much the situation up here.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook